Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biology and Chemistry Book Recommendation

• 02-12-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm trying to figure out if there's such a thing as a Biology and/or Chemistry Leaving Cert book which contains worked or indeed any solutions for the exercises within?

I've been trying to find one online and had zero luck; all of the publisher websites mention Tracher Resource CDs and so on but not whether there are any solutions there.

In failing that; is there any particular book people would recommend for Biology or Chemistry?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Urethra Franklin

ronivek wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm trying to figure out if there's such a thing as a Biology and/or Chemistry Leaving Cert book which contains worked or indeed any solutions for the exercises within?

I've been trying to find one online and had zero luck; all of the publisher websites mention Tracher Resource CDs and so on but not whether there are any solutions there.

In failing that; is there any particular book people would recommend for Biology or Chemistry?

Thanks!

As someone who doesn't really bother with textbooks in those subjects I can still say that Chemistry Live by Declan Kennedy (new edition) is the best chem book. Not so sure about Biology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

For biology the best possible questions you can refer to are the past exam questions and marking schemes which are obviously on examinations.ie. As for a textbook I use Biology Plus by Michael O'Callaghan and can't really find much fault with it.

The Chemistry Live by Declan Kennedy really is great! We don't use it in class (only teacher's notes) as it is very detailed, but it really gives you an understanding of the topic. Worked solutions to number based questions can be found here

chemistrylive2000.folensonline.ie/news/chemlive/news-38/Solutions%20Textbook%20Problems.pdf

I work solely by topic from exam papers for chemistry however, which have very comprehensive marking schemes.

Most of the questions in both of those books are taken from, or at least based on, past exam questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Hate to resurrect, but are most people still using the above this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I used Chemistry Live and Biology Plus last year and found them pretty good. Both have videos of the experiments which helps a lot.

Examination papers are very important too; I didn't start them until very late but I think doing them as you read each topic would be preferable.

Advertisement