Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turning the downturn into an upturn!

• 22-09-2008 7:37pm

How about a positive ideas thread on how to get Ireland out of recession.

Alternative ideas to a bail out include:

Less regulation or more, depending on whether your left or right:

Less:

*warning some will be unpopular*

Remove the minimum wage
    Remove stamp duty
    Remove mortgage interest relief
    Remove rent relief
    Remove affordable housing
    Remove rent allowance
    Remove different land zone types
    Remove capital gains tax
    Remove planning approval requirements if its going to be a permanent private residence for longer than 15 years, hammer them if they sell, make it prohibitive i.e the cost for "my home is my castle" and i`ll have it looking like whatever I want not what some board of "experts" want.

More:

Increase taxes on second or third and more properties.
    Spread/Increase capital gains tax
    Alter planning laws and zoning possibly create some new organisation for it.
    Increase income tax during a boom
    Increase reserve ratios during booms
    Decrease income tax during recession
    Decrease reserve ratio during a recession
    Use convicts to build affordable housing/Roads or other govt contracts.

bah its all off the top of my head, and removing things like rent allowance dont have to be done overnight they can be done over time.

This is the time to make ireland cheap again, instead of giving tax payers money to increase house prices again the government should be withholding it at every opportunity now. Let it hit the floor and start again.

edit: allow truckers, busses and trains the use of green diesel just like the farmers.
    We can have a fast deflation and get back up on our feet or we can go on and on for years.
    We can combat the negative social impacts to some extent by giving the above green diesel. We can also insulate ourselves from external shocks, war, oil increases etc by moving to renewables.
    We could give vat reductions for items like double glazed windows and insulation, anything that decrease oil consumption long term while also giving builders some work to do. We must face it that we will never employ all those 280,000 again only but a fraction and no attempt to funnel tax payers down a black hole to do so should be made!!!

And most of all, this kind of national disgrace should never be allowed happen again:
    http://www.finfacts.com/irishfinancenews/article_1012790.shtml
    Irish investment of €13.9 billion was put into European property deals last year. In contrast, the Irish business sector does not even get a total of €200 million in venture capital investment.

We must find a way of increasing indigenous business start ups or else we must fight tooth and nail to keep the multi nationals here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That sounds awfully amateurish.

So, you would build chemical plants next to schools?
    Use convicts to build affordable housing/Roads or other govt contracts.
    Why? People complain about things built by trained construction workers, but you would get junkies to build things?

Chain gangs are more expensive than prison.

Victor wrote: »
    That sounds awfully amateurish.

jaysus its better than your suggestion
    :rolleyes:
    Im throwin up ideas better than no ideas. I know loads are up for debate but sure its an internet forum not the govt economic advisory panel

So, you would build chemical plants next to schools?
    No I wouldnt. I never suggested that. Your jumping to conclusions. You can remove planning zones and do things on a case by case basis. There are other ways.

Why? People complain about things built by trained construction workers, but you would get junkies to build things?

Chain gangs are more expensive than prison.

couldnt be much worse so. Its just an idea sure scrap it then. Its better than no ideas.

If your in a position to call it amatuerish then maybe you could add something to the thread.. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

For a superior, well-informed version of this thread, point your mouse to:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055351796

Thats a totally different thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

The best idea I heard recently is to replace Stamp Duty with a property tax. Obviously it shouldn't be too high but it is ridiculous in the long term to rely on a cyclilical form of tax (stamp duty) to balance the public finances.

It was blatant stupidity of Bertie et al reducing top rate of income tax at a time when it was obvous that revenue from stamp duty was destined to nose-dive.

No wonder he (bertie) thought people who saw problems for the economy should commit suicide. We all thought a reduction in prices was actually good for society but Bertie new our whole economy was a property piramid scheme and tried his best to keep it going as long as possible.

It would have been more prudent to raise taxes slighly during the good times so we could inject money and increase capital spending now. Thereby reducing the extent of the highs and lows. Which is important for continued development.
    The problem with this is that any raising of taxes is political suicide when times are good - espeically with the governments record of waisting it on state agencies. Have you ever looked at public jobs.ie........they are racking it in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

To get some funds in straight away, they can start by taxing empty properties to bring in some steady revenue, after all there's a few hundred thousand of them to tax!

On the subject of the Revenue themselves, start chasing landlords who are evading tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

any measures in relation to property is bloody useless. the crash happened because property was severely overvalued. you'd people building where people didn't want to live just for tax purposes, most of the houses lying empty in this country are only empty because there was no one to live in them in the first place.

There's no point trying to encourage that type of crap again, i mean it wasn't really desirable in the first place. it was just a drain on resources.

if we want to get competitive again, we need to have a serious look at our workforce. there are plenty of companies in this country who want to expand but can't get the workers needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭noodler

More career orientated degrees with more practical experience.

Advertisement