Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reports of dead mackerel

Options
  • 28-08-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Anyone else hear about this? (and please no jokes about frying pans :rolleyes:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

roseagra wrote: »
    Anyone else hear about this? (and please no jokes about frying pans :rolleyes:)

On the end of fishing rods?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I can report 2 dead mackerel? there's 2 in my freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭roseagra

Why am I getting mental images of a gun and a barrel full of fish....? hhhmmm :p

But seriously, the 'talk' down the pub (according to Pater) was of lots of dead mackerel floating round where they shouldn't be (as in not on your dinner plate).

Having major issues in Athenry with run off from the water treatment into the river (this happened before), so fish kills are high on the agenda at the moment (CoCo are painfully slow in moving to do anything, quell surpreeze!).

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

They were as good as dead when I arrived in Salthill with my fishing rod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Last year I saw hundreds or even thousands of sprat 'drown' themselves on the shore rather than be murdered by the mackerel.

Maybe the mackerel feel the same about the humans...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yaw, bhî an scèal at TG4 on Wednesday. Silver fish floating in the docks area.

1290862567001_3751895635001_166150003327-4-th.jpg?pubId=1290862567001

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

I heard that fishing boats have to bring in any fish they catch even if it's over there quotea, get it down on paper and then dump it back into the sea.

I can't remember where I heard or seen this but if it's true, wouldn't the tv news find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Actually, joking aside, perhaps it's a bit worrying.

If it's a fish kill, was it a pollution incident?

Dumping by-catch is an environmental crime, in my opinion.

Council says that the ~200 iasc
    a) marbh de natural causes mar a bheith stuck in the docks area

b) bhí siad dumped from a bád at sea due to being over cuóta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Running that thru Google Translate gives:

Council says that the ~ 200 fish
    a) dead of Natural Causes as being stuck in the docks area
    or
    b ) they were dumped from a boat at sea DUE to despoliation over quota

So to sum up:

The council doesn't know if it's something in the realm of "Natural Causes" - ie disease - killing the mackrel, or if it was done by fishers who went over quota.

The message is being communicated in Irish to ensure that, if it is due to disease, the disease is discovered when the fish are caught by foreigners or Irish people who don't understand Irish and are thus less valuable than those who do.

I translated some of the TG4 news report :cool:
    I can't do all the work for ye all

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HughMann

snubbleste wrote: »

Sorry to hijack the thread. Maybe I'm missing something but snubbleste why are you using this pig Irish? Say it all in Irish or say it all in English. Ta se an simpli to do, obrigado, au revoir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Did you ever think of doing GAA match analysis on TG4 - you would be a natural!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Dumping by-catch is an environmental crime, in my opinion.

Not only is it not a crime, it's a direct requirement result of the EU quota system (oh the irony, an environmental protection measure causing environmental damage). A boat could easily catch a monthly quota of fish in a week and have to dump anything that exceeds the quota.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cwausnsnmhgb/rss2/

When I landed the 5,000 kilos of monkfish yesterday, that was the monthly quota fished in five days. So I cannot fish monkfish for another three weeks.

If anybody had ever watched Deadliest Catch, one might remember an incident recorded not long after the introduction/changing of quotas, which was put down to confusion over the new rules. One of the boats landed their quota but got fined for still having crab on board - so were over quota when they docked.

In 2012 a trawler in Kilmore Quay gave away €10k worth of over quota fish, which EU rules said he had to discard.
    If a fishing vessel catches more than their quota of a species, the normal outcome is discarding of the surplus at sea. It is a requirement under EU law that this discarding is logged.

The new irony is that last year the EU patted themselves on the back for introducing steps to eliminate rail dumping, an unintended consequence of their quota policy, but these steps are only being phased in and rail dumping is unfortunately still required.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

I haven't seen dead Mackerel but have noticed many many jellyfish in the waters, especially in the Claddagh. Don't recall seeing any last year. Is that a sign of poor water quality?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Well i know what fish im having for dinner tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

This topic came up with a fishery officer yesterday and its just a case of mackerel coming into docks and not finding their way back out. In some years it has been much worse.
    He also said that for fresh water fish and other river dwelling things it is pretty terrrible at the moment as water levels are extremely low making them vulnerable to predators especially birds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Amik wrote: »
    I haven't seen dead Mackerel but have noticed many many jellyfish in the waters, especially in the Claddagh. Don't recall seeing any last year. Is that a sign of poor water quality?

There were loads in the river last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Nil aon rud better than the cupla focail ! .:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement