Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap and cheerful skiing Dec 19th to 23rd - an oxymoron???

• 21-08-2014 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this should be in the travel section but I'd rather appeal to people who are into skiing rather than general travel. Please move if necessary mod's.

In short myself a pal (both mid 40's dad's) want to do a quick cheap and cheerful ski trip with our four kids aged from 10 to 15. We'd like to depart Dublin Fri Dec 19th and return Tues the 23rd. The other Dad and two kids are pretty experienced skiers. My two kids can ski but aren't experienced and I'm a novice.

We're open to going anywhere so long as it's cheap cheap cheap. We don't mind pretty basic accommodation etc as it will only be for a few days. Happy to do a Ryanair + direct booking type deal or a package, whatever keeps the cost down as the travel/holiday budget for this year is well and truly busted.

Appreciate any pointers you can give me as I drew the short straw for coming up with a short (probably very short) list of options.

Cheers,

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭dzer2

Wow you are flooded with answers.

I dont think it will be cheap anyway as all flights around then will be at a premium

Not sure but think all resorts will be busy enough around that time as they like to book for the 7 days which will include Xmas day.
    Snow might be a factor on lower resorts. It might be worth looking at staying in an area that gives you access to a number of resorts so you might have an hours drive to where snow is.
    A better idea might be stay around Munich for the markets and try to get some skiing in as well.
    Flights to ski areas normally only run at weekends from the grand ole isle

Fanny on here might be able to source some where for you ie put up some links.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Hi Ben

Just booked a trip to Andorra for New Years week. Prices were fairly reasonable flying to Barcelona but you would have a few options re flights. Staying in apartments in Andorra also seems to be fairly reasonable re price dont know about quality. The major downside for there is the reliability of snow fall which isnt guaranteed for Andorra this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions dzer2 and NewCorkLad, appreciate them. I'd given up hope of anyone giving me a few pointers which is so unlike Boards TBH.

Cheers,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

BenThere; Not sure of the dates School holidays etc, but it looks like the premium week will be form the 20th so the flights might not be the problem, you may struggle with accommodation as most will want 6/7 days that week.

But from a cost basis it may not be as bad as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Hey

Have no idea on the overall costs, but thinking a little outside the box is Lillehammer. A work colleague went there before and said it was great. That said he'd really only be a novice skier.

He said he took Ryanair to Oslo and then there is a direct train at the airport that brings you to the resort. Just had a quick look at ryanair for your dates and seemed reasonable enough.

I've no idea what the train, ski pass and accomodation costs would be, but might be worth looking into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Gerry T

When I first went skiing we (4 lads in our 40's) used to book everything ourselves, 4 days, and thought we were getting great deals. But the first yr we booked a package we realised that was the cheapest way f doing things.
    Simply put a week in Austria, all inclusive hotel is the way to go.
    Haven't been to Andorra, but what puts me off was the long transfer time, low ski area and lots of novices (crashing!)
    the things we look for are:
    get an area high up-best chance of getting good snow over 2000m preferable.
    A town where you can ski in & out saves time queuing
    Watch the transfer time from Airport, no need to hire a car, waste of money. So public bus or train if you don't do a package.
    All inclusive hotel, especially if your kids are food eating machines. cheaper over the week - breakfast and dinner. Take lunch in the mountain restaurants.
    Go to kilternan for practice if possible, especially if your a novice. No point spending 3 days falling all over the place on holiday. Get the basics, snow plough and some balance before you go will make a difference.
    For you join a class, mornings, again no point in trying to ski with the others, you won't be able to keep up.
    Finally a crap hotel in the centre or walking distance (500-1000m) from the chair lifts is far better than a great hotel miles away.
    Oh, had a poor holiday in France, no mountain restaurants, a typical goulash lunch was circa €20 where Austria is half that, very rude unhelpful locals, everything closes at night--was in Tignes so maybe a bad spot but I wouldn't be rushing back.
    I would call crystal and see what cheap deals they have to offer, sort by price and then see how many can tick the boxes.
    Best of luck and hope you get sorted -- Skiing is the best holiday ever

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

Are you stuck with those dates? It's Xmas week, and most places will be looking for bookings for the full week, so you need to think outside the box. Are you planning to hire a car?

If not consider youth hostels in somewhere like Grindelwald or Zermatt as they usually will book by the night, and you can get there easily by train. The ski passes are expensive though.

If you are going to hire a car then you might want to consider staying outside a resort in one of the cheap and cheerful motorway hotels. Formule 1 hotel chain in France charges about €30 for a triple room!

Or try this one - €46 a night for a triple en suite room - Ibis Budget in Saint Jean de Maurienne

Basic, but adequate. 15 mins from Orelle, which links into the 3 Valleys. I think that's what I would do with that size group for those dates.

Another option if you are feeling really brave and if you get cheap flights somewhere is just book car hire, check the snow forecast, head to wherever is best, but stay somewhere en route. Lots of places will have signs out advertising rooms. I've done that in lots of places, but I don't know if I'd chance it on a budget at Xmas with kids

Fantastic advice guys, I'll check it all out.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 16 thecatspyjamas

Travelling to Livigno, Italy this year ourselves. We are travelling the week before you have stated in order to avail of the skipass free offer that week ie skipass included in accommodation ( sat 13th to sat 20th). We are travelling in a group of four. The other couple in our group are staying in a self catering apartment for €440 for the week including the two 6 day ski passes in the San Rocco area if town. Our flights are with ryanair to Milan Bergamo and work out at about €111 each plus €25 e/w for 20kg checked baggage. Private taxi transfer is works out at 600 between 4 however we got it for a little less as we have used the company a few times, but there is also the option of getting the coach transfer to and from the airport if you are prepared to wait a little while at the airport (2 hours on way over, little more on way back). Coach transfer costs 50 per adult and less for children, (possibly 40?) sorry can't think off the top of my head (Google "mountain tours livigno" for all info). Ski hire in San Rocco area in 'capriolo' shop, offers quality skis an very helpful service freon as little as 50 for the week. And also if you are a beginner you could look into lessons from one if the ski schools, centrale is excellent and group lessons each cost about 105 each for the week. All in all I think it is a very reasonably priced holiday and we are really looking forward to returning to Livigno, it really is a magnificent spot.

Perhaps the week is too long for ye however, I know you're dates were Friday to Tuesday, but when I read you were liking to ski in December I couldn't help share out holiday plans!! Excited already:D

Sounds like you have organised s great trip there catspyjamas.

Or dates are write inflexible but I'll check out your resort.

Ben

• Advertisement
Advertisement