Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nice Hotel Resort

• 14-08-2014 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Could anyone suggest a resort in Western Europe where you'd find a nice hotel at reasonable price. I'd like to find somewhere with bit of extra "relaxing" after a day on the slopes, somewhere with a pool... preferably a nice town too. Just a littler nicer than the basic ski options.

Obviously, this will cost a bit more but has anyone any suggestions that are not too far over the odds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

http://www.derwaldhof.at/ I stayed there a few years ago, in Zell Am See, Austria. Very nice place, pool, spa, bar, nice restaurant. Great skiing/boarding there and in Kaprun, a short bus trip away, you can pretty much ski/in ski out as there is a run that connects the main ski area to the town, which runs by the back of the hotel. When I say run, I mean a narrow lane covered in snow. It's more expensive than your average place, but it's good to treat yourself every once in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

www(dot)elisabethpark.at/en in Bad Gastein Austria. Stayed here a few years ago. Really nice hotel and facilities. The town also has some of the best wellness centres available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

What sort of budget do you have? We stayed in the http://www.leportetta.com/en/ last year in courchevel 1650 and it was easily the best ski hotel we have been to. I don't think they had a pool, but the rooms were great and the food (half board) was restaurant quality. They had a busy bar for après and a really nice lounge for lazing about in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

The cheeper option, the Strass in Mayrhofen is excellent!

http://www.hotelstrass.com/en/hotels/sporthotel/hotel/mayrhofen.html

Arlberg Hospiz Hotel St Christoph Austria

The Alpina Dolomites is set in absolutely the best place on a high plateau surrounded by mountains to enjoy the dolomites and the dolomoite ski circut is right on its door

www.alpinadolomites.it.

The not so cheap
    I got married in this one it is not cheap but one of the best in the alps and well still affordable compared to some other options in Davos, St Moritz, Chamoinix and Courcheval.

http://www.ferienart.ch/

Les Fermes de Marie, Megeve

Have never stayed in this one but seen it and got a tour from someone working in it, really unusual a few chalets spread around a farm with a central hotel bit with the spa and pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Thanks for these suggestions folks.

• Advertisement

Fattes wrote: »

The Alpina Dolomites is set in absolutely the best place on a high plateau surrounded by mountains to enjoy the dolomites and the dolomoite ski circut is right on its door

www.alpinadolomites.it.

That place looks lovely, what sort of price range? Their website doesn't give a price for some reason.

A friend of mine's father, in his 70's, so probably skiing for the last 65 years or so, including a stint in the German Army, doing night maneuvers in the Alps during the Cold War (so that's where it got its name)... anyhoo, his favourite place to ski is the Dolomites, so I've always fancied trying it out.

[Edit]

Wooah! €3k for a double room for 7 nights! You win the Lotto, Fattes?

cormee wrote: »
    That place looks lovely

[Edit]

Wooah! €3k for a double room for 7 nights! You win the Lotto, Fattes?

A Ski Company was paying! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Its a hard life!

Fattes wrote: »
    A Ski Company was paying! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Its a hard life!

Very nice!

What are the Dolomites like to ski on?

Epic, Madonna De Campignio would be my favorite, you know the way people say all ski photos look the same! Well not in the Dolomites, off piste skiing is really good and never busy, on piste excellent slopes and generally very quiet especially after lunch, tons of WW1 touristy stuff to see too in various parts of the Dolomites

Advertisement