Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want a little help deciding... New TV, freeview PVR or freesat PVR

• 23-07-2014 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

I've a few questions. Basically I have no way of recording TV atm and have picked up an interest in watching something other than DVD boxsets or films.
    I'm in N. Ireland btw.

My current LCD TV is a few years old, but still pretty good, but I got interested when I checked Argos and saw a well priced Sony TV (well I like Sony anyway) with a twin tuner. A problem arose when other sites disputed this twin tuner...
    Is there a definitive site that lists specifications? Even sony.co.uk is vague.

PVRs are massively expensive so I'd be thinking of a used one.
    If the TV has a twin tuner it would require an external hdd, but I could upgrade my LCD TV to an LED one.

If I get a freeview HD recorder then I could schedule recordings (in HD) and get the RTE channels again.
    Another option since we have an unused working satellite dish, is a Freesat PVR.
    I'm not clued in really, I think they used to do some sporting channels that freeview doesn't have, but I can't see them listed any more.

So is anyone knowledgeable about this stuff and able to offer some info?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mewhat

I just purchased a Sony 2014 W600B in New Zealand , had it for 3 days and sent it back . I didn’t realize the turner was not a double and all it could do was record one program while you watched the same program

Unlike my old Freeview box , it had a 7 day record what and when you want to watch, with a series link button .The Sony has none of that . Also to set a recording eg 2 days time i had to bring up a box and enter date/start time/program number ,and if it was a series I had to repeat that for each programme ...as some one said "new tv with old technology" .

To my knowledge Sony have just in the last few days added via update a twin tuner to their 4k models . the model you are looking at might be twin tuner released in your country but I doubt it .

The picture was excellent and sound average .

So even if it has twin built in turner , check out what it can do

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

eyerer wrote: »
    I've a few questions. Basically I have no way of recording TV atm and have picked up an interest in watching something other than DVD boxsets or films.
    I'm in N. Ireland btw.

My current LCD TV is a few years old, but still pretty good, but I got interested when I checked Argos and saw a well priced Sony TV (well I like Sony anyway) with a twin tuner. A problem arose when other sites disputed this twin tuner...
    Is there a definitive site that lists specifications? Even sony.co.uk is vague.

PVRs are massively expensive so I'd be thinking of a used one.
    If the TV has a twin tuner it would require an external hdd, but I could upgrade my LCD TV to an LED one.

If I get a freeview HD recorder then I could schedule recordings (in HD) and get the RTE channels again.
    Another option since we have an unused working satellite dish, is a Freesat PVR.
    I'm not clued in really, I think they used to do some sporting channels that freeview doesn't have, but I can't see them listed any more.

So is anyone knowledgeable about this stuff and able to offer some info?
    Thanks.

Check your old TV and see if it can record to a USB HDD attached to it. The USB drive will be reformatted by the TV.

The Freesat is brilliant but will not record RTE.

A Humax Freeview PVR will do what you want, but £200 or so.

Advertisement