Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*sigh*

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

You do get to do a bit of surfing and in spots you might see rocks after lunch.

When I get home I'll see if I can find a photo or two to show a comparison. I don't mind the slush too much as there's plenty of gradient to keep you moving. Ice in the morning but I don't mind too much. It was -16c in April at the top one morning. Brrrr.

I've started thinking of taking a trip in Sept just to break up the year.

Here's some photos from Hintertux from the last year. It might be hard to spot the differences as they are all from the upper area but look at the snow in the distance.

This is last April at the top 3200m -16c at the time. That's snow and ice blasting across. In the distance opposite is where I was heading. Up a long t-bar. The park is opposite behind that guy in the middle.
    April_zps9cfd2dd5.jpg

This is January of this year. It's hard to tell but there's hardly any powder and you had to stay on piste most of the time whereas in April I was all over the ridge opposite and was only on piste to get across to the next bit of powder.
    Jan_zpsc5aad83f.jpg

This is last August/September. Rocks are visible, breaks in the snow off piste are clear and very dangerous. The t-bar is near flat low down such is the difference is snow level.
    AugSep_zps02604111.jpg

Lower down the mountain this is all snow covered in Jan and April and is basically all open.
    nosnow_zps89850043.jpg

This will help. The best snow is always at the top regardless of the time of year. The blue line are the runs that are open in summer. The lower you get the narrower it is which you can see that video. The 2 dark green lines are the routes I was playing in in April in the video at the bottom of this post. There's no snow below 2531m in summer and below about 2900m it's all visible rock off piste. Jan wasn't great either but April was. You could drop below the green and red gondolas at 2531m and head down off piste. Long T-bars on the right which I haven't done but will next time there's snow I'll be up there looking for runs I haven't done. At the end of the day it's not that bad in summer. The park is closed and there's little or no powder but it's real snow.
    map_zps4dd2e4ea.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Thanks for the info. The ski area seems pretty small during the summer.

Conditions in that video look fantastic, that's one I'd say you pop on the computer, after a few beers during the off-season.

What's the GoPro pole btw? Am looking for a good one, the longer telescopic ones I've seen are always too long when collapsed, then I found one that collapsed to a compact size, but unfortunately the segments didn't lock, so the f*n camera was rotating on the pole by day 3 :(
    I had a bigger one as well, but it nearly killed me when it got caught up in a chairlift (it was in my backpack), the guy working the lift taught me a few french words I'd never heard before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Haaa!! The Adventures of Cormee's GoPro ;-)

The pole is an SP POV pole. Buy on ebay of course. http://www.sp-gadgets.com/en/

The shot above is done with a gospin360.

Ski area is small but there's more than enough for some fun. You do have to pay for the bus in summer. In winter it's included in the ski pass. If I go this summer I'll probably fly and rent a car. I'm so bored here now I'm really think about going even though I said I'd save the cash for later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement