Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cube agree gtc pro questions (vs tcr 2)

• 08-01-2014 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Newbie to the forum, have lurked a bit and used this and many other fora for the purpose of research and education.

So here's the deal, I got back into cycling in the last few years having been an avid cyclist up to early twenties. Currently late thirties. I bought a trek hybrid a year and a half ago and have put 2000km on it - I use an indoor bike from Nov-Feb as I am soft.

I am now ready for a proper road bike, and due to generosity of my better half and BTW and my reasoning that I will save €€€ on potential future heart meds by sticking at the sport I love, my budget is €1400 (tops).

I had my heart set on Giant TCR Comp 2 after two months of research, as it ticked a lot of boxes, but recently had my head very much turned by the Cube Agree GTC Pro. I have a few questions though.

1. It's a carbon frame obviously - but it comes with an alloy seatpost. Is there much of a sacrifice of comfort here? The TCR has a composite seatpost. Cube has 105 groupset all the way through and trumps the Giant here.

2. The wheels on 2014 are Fulcrum 77s. The bike is cheaper in 2014, but mavic aksiums were the wheels last year I think. Worth sourcing a 2013 for this alone? Or are the wheels ok?

3. My one worry about TCR is that it maybe slightly too agressive for me having sat on it. I like it a lot, but suffer with my back occasionally and am not getting younger. Found the Defy too relaxed. Would you agree that the Cube hits a sweet spot here? Hard to know from sitting on the bike in the shop, but it felt good.

Anyway - I'd love to hear any feedback from users of the bike. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

I have a 2012 cube agree gtc pro and love it , have a bad back too and cube being Carbon does not affect it any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The alloy seat post can be changed for a carbon post very easily so it shouldn't put you off. My bike has 105 groupset and I cant fault it, there is no noticeable difference between it and Ultegra for leisure cyclists.

I would rate the Fulcrum 7's and Aksiums as pretty similar to each other and they're both easily upgradeable at a later stage, if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ironlungs

Thanks guys. Good to hear positive vibes on the cube.

I am keen on the groupset alright (105), this is my minimum requirement in terms of groupie. The cube is definitely a better buy from this point of view, as it is 105 all the way through. I take your point on the wheels.

Am I to take it that a carbon seatpost does bring signifcantly more comfort if you are suggesting swapping it out? It is due to back probs that I'm splashing on carbon and the improved comfort it brings. The shops I have conversed with on the issue say that many €2-3000 bikes use alloy seatposts, that the stays absorb enough buzz to get the benefit.

I like both bikes quite well, the warranty on frames (life(?) on giant v 3 years on cube) is another slight sticking point.

I should state that both bikes come in at exactly the same price.

It probably doesn't make as a big a difference on a carbon bike as it would on an alloy framed bike but for the sake of less than €50 I'd fit a carbon post if the rest of the bike is carbon.

As for the people in the shop telling you that many €2-3000 carbon bikes use alloy posts, ask them which specific bike as I looked at practically every single carbon road bike in the 2-3k price range in the last 12 months and none of them had alloy seat posts...that I could see. I think that was just a line they spun you rather than trying to explain why cube skimped on the finishing kit on that bike to save a few quid on the build cost.

CJC999 wrote: »
    It probably doesn't make as a big a difference on a carbon bike as it would on an alloy framed bike but for the sake of less than €50 I'd fit a carbon post if the rest of the bike is carbon.

As for the people in the shop telling you that many €2-3000 carbon bikes use alloy posts, ask them which specific bike as I looked at practically every single carbon road bike in the 2-3k price range in the last 12 months and none of them had alloy seat posts...that I could see. I think that was just a line they spun you rather than trying to explain why cube skimped on the finishing kit on that bike to save a few quid on the build cost.

I hear you on that one. It is very hard to get a good guy to talk bikes with in the shops - a lot of them go for the hard sell once they sniff that you might be leaning in a particular direction. An absolute head wreck. There are some diamonds out there though, guys who know their stuff and give genuine, impartial info.

Problem with upgrades is that the bike retails at €1599, I can drive a hard bargain and have deals struck for between €1420 and €1480 - but that's without any upgrades. Given that I will immediately swap out the tires for something puncture resistant, that pushes my budget towards the €1500 mark - I hadn't figured on the seatpost upgrade. I will also need a computer, so I am reluctant to let the thing snowball. I'll have to look at it though, or maybe go back to the tcr idea.

Thanks for input.

• Advertisement

Actually, the Cube is sold with the tag line of 105 all the way through (as opposed to the Giant's mixed groupset). There is little difference of significance here though, other than the crank, which is 105 on the cube, but something lesser on the Giant. The carbon seatpost would offset this (as I reckon the wheels are more or less similar, while the Giant at least offers some puncture protection on their tires).

But for some reason, I can't find the specs of the chain and cassette of the cube. Does anyone know if these are also 105s? If not, there is little difference in terms of spec tbh, and it'll come down to the feel of the bike.

And of course the colour. Cube wins hands down here I reckon! I can't imagine keeping white carbon clean is much fun.

From Bikeradar Review: GTC Pro

Cassette: Shimano CS-5700 (12/25)
    Chain:CN-5701

Full review here >>> Cube GTC Pro You'll find a link to the full bike spec on the right hand side of that page.

Personally I'd pick the Cube over the Giant.

CJC999 wrote: »
    From Bikeradar Review: GTC Pro

Cassette: Shimano CS-5700 (12/25)
    Chain:CN-5701

Full review here >>> Cube GTC Pro You'll find a link to the full bike spec on the right hand side of that page.

Personally I'd pick the Cube over the Giant.

Thanks for that. I have read that review before, it all sounds good. I think that's the 2011 spec though. The 2014 spec has 105 crank, breaks, shifters, levers and cube fork and seatpost (a departure - own branding here, they did use Easton before), and also Fulrcum 7 wheels with Schwalbe tires. I haven't been able to find the spec of the cassette or chainset.

I have emailed cube to find out, I'll post this info when I know.

My heart is saying cube at the mo, eventhough I was certain on the tcr until very recently. Lifetime guarantee and carbon seatpost might swing the tcr, I'm going to pop into Cycle Surgery to see both bikes side by side to sway me one way or the other. I guess as most people say, I'll be thrilled with either bike.

Update on those extra parts - it appears the cassette and chain are not 105 on the Cube GTR Pro for 2014. Not a dealbreaker by any means though.

Had 35 km on my trek hybrid today. A lovely bike, it will remain my winter training bike. I can't do more than an hour and a half on it though, without severe discomfort. It's a pure alu bike, and on the average road surface around here it is like the seat is mounted on a pneumatic drill. Hands get uncomfortable as well. Given history of back injury, if I cycle for more than 1 1/2 hours, it will be a few minutes before I stand up straight after it. I also hate not being able to get into drops when I have a headwind. I like to go fast, and average around 27-8 km per hour on it at these distances.

Hence my upgrade quest, and my criteria of carbon. I started by looking at aluminium road bikes with carbon forks and seatposts, thinking this would be a nice upgrade, but decided to up the budget a little more for the full carbon.

The Giant Defy or TCR comp is a lovely package and looks good. The '2' with 105 groupie is within budget. Also within budget is the Cube Agree GTC PRO, which I really like to sit on, go around a carpark on and I love the colour scheme way more than the Giants. However, comfort wise, I don't believe I will know anything much about the bike til I've sat on it for 2 hours in varied conditions. My Trek Hybrid is lovely for 5 mins in a carpark! The lack of carbon seatpost on the cube and the fact that they only stand over their frames for 3 years as opposed to Giant's lifetime guarantee gives me the heebie jeebies with regard to the cube. I wouldn't rule out doing an about face for an aluminium with carbon seatpost and fork such as Scott Speedster 20, Cannondale CAAD 10, Spesh etc, depending on what I can learn about them from users.

Any more Cube users out there with first hand experience of their bikes? It would cost around €70 to swap out the alu seatpost for a good carbon, but that pushes the budget a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

I bout a tcr 2 2014 in October gone. I looked at the cube gtc pro as an alternative but basically I thought the tcr looked and felt nicer to cycle.

White bikes are fine to keep clean once it's not a commuter
    Most the time a bang of a baby wipe gets it brand new again in 5min

I was told when buying a bike buy the one with best frame and giant is up there with the best of them I don't think cube are up there just yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

Have a similar cube since 2010, albeit Its ultegra, great bike done lot of mileage and races, no major issues
    Stock wheels fulcrum 7 are good and hardy for our climate

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

I've a cube agree GTC compact (not the pro version), no complaints here. Light & comfortable (Tigagra groupset).

Thanks a lot for feedback guys.

I like the cube a lot, tough call between it and Giant. It's between these two mostly as the shop I want to deal with are dealers in the two. They also do Felt and Thompson and a few others. Another shop I am more reluctant to deal with deals in Trek, Scott and Specialized also.

I've read up a bit on the warranty issue. It's three years on the cube for carbon, 6 for alu. I guess they can't afford a longer warranty, such as Giant and Specialized who do lifetime guarantees on the frame, as they are nowhere near the size of those companies yet. Would it be your opinion, carbon riders, that any defects should show up well within the first 3 years?

One other technical question on it - cube point to front stiffness in this bike, but say the seat stays and post offer flex for comfort. Is this a desirable trait? It is my first road bike in a long time, excuse the newbie type questions. I know the TCR would be stiffer front and back. I don't want to sacrifice too much on the speed front as I will enter some low level racing, but this bike is mainly for training/fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Patharagos

I purchased a Cube Agree Race and after 6 months, cracks appeared on the carbon fibre frame. Wanted to bring down the bike and the Kilkenny based retailer suggested pictures would suffice. Five weeks later, I have a faulty bike and no replacement so going for small claims court. After sales with Cube is rubbish and have heard nothing from the retailer but excuse after excuse, he just hasn't bothered to do anything. Not good, never again with Cube..any Carbon Fibre bike can develop a fault but this after sales is woeful...AVOID:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 slotts

Patharagos wrote: »
    I purchased a Cube Agree Race and after 6 months, cracks appeared on the carbon fibre frame. Wanted to bring down the bike and the Kilkenny based retailer suggested pictures would suffice. Five weeks later, I have a faulty bike and no replacement so going for small claims court. After sales with Cube is rubbish and have heard nothing from the retailer but excuse after excuse, he just hasn't bothered to do anything. Not good, never again with Cube..any Carbon Fibre bike can develop a fault but this after sales is woeful...AVOID:(

It seems that there is a lot of negative feedback out there about the cube frames. It's the one thing that is putting me off :(

Well, based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend Cube. Giant & Trek seem to have very good after sales which is what you want - peace of mind is important in case the frame develops a problem.

Patharagos wrote: »
    Well, based on my experience, I wouldn't recommend Cube. Giant & Trek seem to have very good after sales which is what you want - peace of mind is important in case the frame develops a problem.

Would the more expensive cube bikes have a better quality frame with less structural issues or is it a common fault with all grades of carbon cube frames???

Well I cant comment on that, all I know was mine was an €1800 bike and it developed faults. Im sure there are different grades of carbon alright but the inherent problem here is the company Cube not having the correct follow up with its customers who experience problems with their bikes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have a Cube Agree GTC for 2 years, its been though 2 Gael Force Wests, and I commute on it every day and its been faultless and a great bike.

I got tcr2
    Gioardana jacket pricetag said 157
    Continental gatorskin x2
    Gloves price tag 37
    All in for 1575 hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭OnLooker

jackstaff wrote: »
    I got tcr2
    Gioardana jacket pricetag said 157
    Continental gatorskin x2
    Gloves price tag 37
    All in for 1575 hope that helps

Where did you get that?

I bought it in Harry's in clonskeagh just bargained the life out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

I have a 2012 cube agree race love it bought it in 2013 but went for the older one as it was full ultegra i thought after getting off my old bike a trek 2.1 that i was climbing alot better than before maybe its all in my head only problem i had was the easton wheels started popping spokes which i was warned about when buying it by the shop but had them replaced for free with mavic cosmics never looked back wouldnt worry about frames as there is a 6 year frame warenty as far is i know and the cubes do look sexy.

Rallymad wrote: »
    I have a 2012 cube agree race love it bought it in 2013 but went for the older one as it was full ultegra i thought after getting off my old bike a trek 2.1 that i was climbing alot better than before maybe its all in my head only problem i had was the easton wheels started popping spokes which i was warned about when buying it by the shop but had them replaced for free with mavic cosmics never looked back wouldnt worry about frames as there is a 6 year frame warenty as far is i know and the cubes do look sexy.

They so look great alright. Even the bike shops are saying that they are difficult to deal with if you are looking to use your warranty if a problem occurs. I've also hear a few things about spokes popping and making noise. How hard could it be to get right tension?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Rallymad wrote: »

Lifetime warranty on Giant frames fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

Having just picked up my new cube agree gtc race through bike to work it does worry me abit that the spokes in the Easton wheels are a bit like the spokes of an umbrella and we all know how umbrellas do in this country!! Ahhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Rallymad

New2bike wrote: »
    Having just picked up my new cube agree gtc race through bike to work it does worry me abit that the spokes in the Easton wheels are a bit like the spokes of an umbrella and we all know how umbrellas do in this country!! Ahhhh

i roke 3 on a 100km charity cycle and the wheel held together even cycled 20km to work and home the next day but went mavic after that in fareness to my LBS he told me they were trouble before i bought it and offered me different rims but i didnt listen.

Hi folks, well after a very long delay, the Cube Agree GTC Pro finally arrived! Ordered on 1st February, but the LBS were having problems with their Cube suppliers, so I had a rather frustrating wait. While waiting, I had my head seriously turned by other bikes they had in stock - the Giant Defy Composite 2 (also 105) and the Bianchi Vertigo (beautiful looking bike, also 105, but not in my size) and the Bianchi Impulso (partial 105), a lovely looking aluminium bike, but comparatively heavy.

I was about to give up on the Cube when it finally arrived in on Thursday. What a great looking bike! It really is eye candy for bike lovers, although that is entirely subjective of course. I was immediately delighted with my decision when I clapped eyes on it. It is full 105 including breaks and crank, where a lot of bikes will throw on some FSA or Tektro parts to cut corners. The only parts that aren't 105 are the chain and the cassette, which are both Tiagra.

It has Schwalbe 1 tires, which cost €50 each after market. These are very well regarded, but they came in 23mm, so I swapped them out immediately for Conti 4 seasons in 25mm, as I love my comforts and I hate the idea of fixing punctures roadside (I say idea, as I have 0 punctures in 3000km on Gatorskins - touch wood). The Fulcrum 7 wheelset looks good and is also well regarded.

Overall, I'm a very happy camper. The bad? The saddle is a rock - it started hurting during the bike fit. It's a Selle Italia X 1, great looking saddle but is a hardcore race saddle. I will sell it on, I have already ordered a replacement.

Overall, the whole package looks brilliant, and is as light as a feather. I was very well looked after by Tribikes in Limerick.

Unfortunately due to the crappy weather here today, I haven't been out on it yet. I took the Trek 7.3 for a spin today instead. I will await the new saddle and do some serious miles from next weekend on.

I will update the thread with a progress report when I have some runs done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭New2bike

Just out of curiosity Ironlungs which saddle are you gonna swap for I too got the selle Italia with my new gtc race and as you say pure race saddle but I'm no contador so comfort would be more important at the moment

• Advertisement

New2bike wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity Ironlungs which saddle are you gonna swap for I too got the selle Italia with my new gtc race and as you say pure race saddle but I'm no contador so comfort would be more important at the moment

I'm going with another Selle Italia - the Gel Flow with the cut out. I have held it in my hand in the shop, it appears to have a good balance of padding and firmness. It also has a cut out where the current saddle is causing me severe consternation. Hopefully it'll work out. The colour scheme of the black one of these fits in with the cube also, which is extremely important! :)

Advertisement