Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boojum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Giving out free beers again according to the facebook page, think I might pay it another visit later

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Just confirming what others have said, blows la salsa out of the water, really nice grub, well priced and great service. I'll be heading back for seconds :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Wouldn't be overly impressed about the 'poor' students getting a special deal though but that's probably for a different thread.

You're pissed off because students get a discount?

Wouldn't be overly impressed about the 'poor' students getting a special deal though but that's probably for a different thread.

Isn't it terrible that struggling students get 50 or 60 cent off the price. Better get on the phone to Joe Duffy on Monday and let the country know of this scandalous discrimination, after all it's students who generally have the most disposable income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Back for seconds today, tried a shredded beef burrito this time which again tasted great, got a couple of free beers as well. A great party atmosphere in the place today and the city mayor and Mexican ambassador both showed up when we were there! Staff remembered me as well so gave me two stamps on a loyalty card

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great to hear that Boojum's opening in Galway opening has been a huge success.:) I've little doubt that it will go on to be become of the best budget eateries in the city.

Now, let the Boojum love spread ever further afield to capture and convert the taste buds of those poor unfortunates that have not yet experienced the delights of this burrito heaven. :cool: - A couple more eateries in Dublin, one in Cork and perhaps one in Kikenny should ne next on their expansion agenda.

A Boojum stall at this years Electric Picnic will have queues to be served stretching all the way back to Stradbally village I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

They're closed today according to FB, open 11.30 tomorrow apparently.
    I'd say Galway depleted their stock!
    Looking forward to getting back and trying some!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I was in there on Friday and yesterday - lovely grub and I hope they do really well. They were handing out free beers yesterday, it's been a really good launch for the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

inisboffin wrote: »
    They're closed today according to FB, open 11.30 tomorrow apparently.
    I'd say Galway depleted their stock!
    Looking forward to getting back and trying some!

Aww Boo :'(:'(
    Was planning on going back today for second helpings and eating it at the Arch. My only day off as well. Had me bottles of Stonewell ready and everything :-(

Slightly off topic: What exactly is the difference between a Burrito and a Fajita? They seem almost the same on the menu. They were too busy to ask the last day.

Slightly off topic: What exactly is the difference between a Burrito and a Fajita? They seem almost the same on the menu. They were too busy to ask the last day.

Fajita is usually roasted stuff. You can serve it on a plate and also have beans there to. Burrito is generally always a wrap and has beans in it, although both can be served with flour tortillas. The confusion is understandable! I think 'fajita' actually means 'little strips' (of meat?)/

I'd LOVE if they got actual soft corn tacos as an option, and fish tacos!
    I like the one in Dublin though, so delighted they are here.

• Advertisement

They have soft corn Tacos on the menu but maybe they hav'nt started doing them here yet.

They have soft corn Tacos on the menu but maybe they hav'nt started doing them here yet.

Really!?

I only see soft flour, or hard corn on all the menus, same as Dublin, but I would be SO thrilled if they did the soft corn ones. They taste like nothing else (and are gluten free for all the coeliacs! The 'corn' tortillas here in shops are half wheat and don't taste the same at all, so I make my own the odd time).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They have soft shell tacos but I'm 99% sure they are flour not corn.

And as far as boojum is concerned the difference between a fajita and a burrito is that the burrito comes with rice and beans as the base and the fajita comes with grilled veggies as the base, but can also have beans I think, and the fajitas aren't rolled the same way as the burritos.

I hope they get in corn warps and softshell corn tacos, because I love them.

All that said though, it's quality nosh.

Seaneh wrote: »
    They have soft shell tacos but I'm 99% sure they are flour not corn.

I hope they get in corn warps and softshell corn tacos, because I love them.

All that said though, it's quality nosh.

What are soft shell corn tacos? I know the hard shell corn tacos, they're the same consistency as say the corn tortillas in nachos. They're baked hard circles of corn. The ones in Boojum Dublin are definitely corn, as a gluten free pal eats them. The soft corn tortillas are used to make fish tacos and are small soft and circular.

*mouth is watering. must stop typing!

:D

Soft shell corn tacos are the sort you get in taco places in the us, they are lightly fried so that they have texture an colour but are still soft and flexible, as opposed to hard shell tacos which are the same texture as corn chips.

Boojum in town is currently only offering white and brown flour tortilla's for burritos/fajitas and small flour tortillas for soft tacos and hard corn taco shells for corn tacos.

I bow to both your above knowledge lads.
    I got slightly confused re the soft/hard/corn/flour etc from reading the menu.

Ill be back for more this evening anyway if they get stocked up.

On another note, why will they be selling the beer so cheap? There is no margin at those prices. If they stuck another euro on a bottle I don't think anybody would complain. I don't think any restaurant in Galway sells beer for less than 4.50-5euro.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Soft shell corn tacos are the sort you get in taco places in the us, they are lightly fried so that they have texture an colour but are still soft and flexible, as opposed to hard shell tacos which are the same texture as corn chips.

Boojum in town is currently only offering white and brown flour tortilla's for burritos/fajitas and small flour tortillas for soft tacos and hard corn taco shells for corn tacos.

I know the ones from the US but I never heard them referred to as soft 'shell'.
    Corn soft tacos were either soft (flat, not fried but steamed to heat) or hard (lightly fried).
    The hard ones were chewier than here, true but still called hard. If you went into somewhere like Tacos Guyermos you'd either ask for a soft or hard taco. The latter fried 'in shape' the former just folded.
    And yeah Seaneh I described the hard ones more like chips here because they are often a little too hard over here, although the Boojum ones in Dublin are a bit better (you can pick them up without them shattering in your hand).
    But it's the soft steamed/tortilla press ones I'm after.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IOn another note, why will they be selling the beer so cheap? There is no margin at those prices. If they stuck another euro on a bottle I don't think anybody would complain. I don't think any restaurant in Galway sells beer for less than 4.50-5euro.

It's a loss-leadeer to get people to go there rather than to all the rip-off pubs in the area :-)

Best way to address their location challenge is to fix the location in people's minds quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭ciano1

Anyone know if they're still taking the free vouchers? Got 2 more from their staff in the Roisin on Friday night! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

What beer are they stocking folks?

• Advertisement

What beer are they stocking folks?

I only saw Santa Cruz and Sol. Could be more though.

Went there again earlier. Very good turnover of customers. Think it will really take off.
    Was totally stuffed after it. Couldn't even really drink, had to go on the Brandy instead. My 'dining partner' had to go home for peppermint tea lol.

re my question the other the other day, there seems to be no difference between their Burrito and Fajita. We had one of each and they were the exact same except for the sauce but we had asked for different ones anyway.

Forgot to use my loyalty card again :-(

Went there again earlier. Very good turnover of customers. Think it will really take off.
    Was totally stuffed after it. Couldn't even really drink, had to go on the Brandy instead. My 'dining partner' had to go home for peppermint tea lol.

re my question the other the other day, there seems to be no difference between their Burrito and Fajita. We had one of each and they were the exact same except for the sauce but we had asked for different ones anyway.

Forgot to use my loyalty card again :-(

Burrito has beans and rice, fajita has grilled veggies.

That's what I was thinking but they put veggies in her Burrito and rice and beans in my Fajita. She just filled them the opposite way around.
    Must have a go at the Tacos next visit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

So glad it is in Galway. Had two this week. Incredible fayre. Viva boojum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Called in to Boojum at 1pm today and was met at the door by a friendly staff member who informed me that they were experiencing some trouble with their gas supply in the kitchen and unfortunately wouldn't be serving up food for a couple of hours:(

However she told me to call back and handed me a free burrito voucher which was pretty cool. I had to leave town so I didn't get to redeem it.

I must say the management of boojum are really doing a good job of positive promotion of themselves.
    Many new start-up businesses have got slated on this forum, and rightly so in almost all cases.
    It's not as if businesses needs to bend over backwards to build up good affinity with their customers. Boojum have, so far, seemed to consider the blatantly obvious, rudimentary courtesies that should be offered to customers.

Yeah. I must be the first Galway business ever to have got through five pages on Boards without having had anything bad said about it.

That's what I was thinking but they put veggies in her Burrito and rice and beans in my Fajita. She just filled them the opposite way around.
    Must have a go at the Tacos next visit.

Sounds like she just got your order mixed up or something?

Called in to Boojum at 1pm today and was met at the door by a friendly staff member who informed me that they were experiencing some trouble with their gas supply in the kitchen and unfortunately wouldn't be serving up food for a couple of hours:(

However she told me to call back and handed me a free burrito voucher which was pretty cool. I had to leave town so I didn't get to redeem it.

I must say the management of boojum are really doing a good job of positive promotion of themselves.
    Many new start-up businesses have got slated on this forum, and rightly so in almost all cases.
    It's not as if businesses needs to bend over backwards to build up good affinity with their customers. Boojum have, so far, seemed to consider the blatantly obvious, rudimentary courtesies that should be offered to customers.

Good to see an Irish family owned business doing a great job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Yeah. I must be the first Galway business ever to have got through five pages on Boards without having had anything bad said about it.

burritosg.jpg

Advertisement