Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

With Poochy Drake gone now, can we have Lara back please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think history will be kind to the Uncharted series.
    I reckon it will be remembered as "All mouth, no trousers".
    It looks the business but it hold your hand so much through out that the gameplay seems designed for people that think Lego Star Wars is too much of a challenge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think it will age as badly as say Goldeneye, I think it will still be a blast in years to come but yeah I get the feeling it won't be as impressive 5 years down the line. I also unfortunately feel it will have a very ignorant and vocal fanbase as evidenced over in the Games forum that won't let any criticism of the game go without throwing their toys out of the pram.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Asura's Wrath demo up on Xbox Live, exclusive to gold so no go for me. Really interested in this game since I really love everything CyberConnect2 have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I hated the first one and disliked the second even more.

Hope they don't try and emulate it with the new Tomb Raider game as I like those games just the way they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I really enjoy the Uncharted games. My biggest hatred of them is they follow a formula of difficulty = bullet sponge enemies and fcuk tonnes of them

I really liked the first two although outside of the pretty visuals and cinematics it was easy to see there wasn't much to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I seem to be the focus of a suspicion of some sort of deviancy.
    Let me assure you that it isn't true.
    The chicken was only in my bed to keep warm.
    I recall the pony was looking for the chicken.
    I have no idea where the gerbil came from and it was subsequently destroyed, a mercy killing if you will.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Despite having a ps3 I've yet to play or infact see any of the Uncharted games
    Never seen it at my "take a chance price " aka less than a tenner, and never been able to get a lend of it from my ps3 owning friends.
    Its just oneof those things I guess

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Uncharted games have you, inevitably, dangling from the most improbable things from the most unlikely of scenes, and you have to climb your way to safety.
    All very spectacular indeed.
    Looks fantastic.
    But...
    You may as well be taking Mario to the front door of Peaches castle, it's just a matter of pressing the buttons in the appointed order and a little bit of vague timing.
    Unless they changed it all, fundamentally, for the third one, I didn't play that as I have yet to replace the PS3 that blew up!
    Sure, the game looks very good but that is hardly a massive deal, especially now when, for a AAA game, they all look that good.
    At least Tomb Raider made you work at being athletic, in tight pants....
    Now, I don't advocate going back to giving your avatar tank movement controls to add tension and challenge, but at least make scaling a train danglng from a cliff more difficult than a trip to the shops to buy milk.

• Advertisement

You may as well be taking Mario to the front door of Peaches castle, it's just a matter of pressing the buttons in the appointed order and a little bit of vague timing.

If only it was even that complex. It's more like press the analogue stick in a vague direction relating to the shining handhold and press jump. It's pretty much an easier Dragons Lair when you think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If only it was even that complex. It's more like press the analogue stick in a vague direction relating to the shining handhold and press jump. It's pretty much an easier Dragons Lair when you think of it.

I'd have to agree with this, the difficulty isn't in where to go or how to solve a puzzle, its the swarms of enemies they throw at you.

Although escaping a sinking ship that's on its side was good to watch, good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

especially now when, for a AAA game, they all look that good.

picture.php?albumid=144&pictureid=564

Ah, nothing like looking a girl and saying, without cause for worry, "Doesn't she have a lovely bottom".

But, re: Uncharted, I didn't find the enemies terribly hard to defeat either.
    Nothing about the game was a challenge, aside from trying to get €50 worth of gameplay time out of it.
    I think I had it done in a week and that was along side everything else I was playing.

Same issue with COD, especially the MW sub-series.
    You spend all that money and, unless you are into the multiplayer element, expect the single player game to last 5/6 hours.
    So, a tenner an hour to play the same game 3 times...
    Nice work if you can get it!

I don't think that in ten years, assuming I make it, I will have any particular memories of the Modern Warfare titles beyond the Chernobyl mission in the original.
    Even "No Russian" feels a bit "meh" now.

Ah, nothing like looking a girl and saying, without cause for worry, "Doesn't she have a lovely bottom"

"Of course, they ALL have....."

eddhorse wrote: »

That game is so much more fun to watch than to play!
    At no time did I think "I'd love to have a go at that" because I know exactly how much interaction I'd actually have..
    Answer?
    Frak all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Steve SI wrote: »
    On a different note, 3D printer + sugru = handy way to mold parts.

Never knew the awesome invention that is sugru was created by an irish lady:

"The idea for Sugru was developed by Jane Ní Dhulchaointigh from Kilkenny, Ireland[6]. Ní Dhulchaointigh studied product design as a post-graduate research student at the Royal College of Art[6] where she conceived the idea for the substance in 2003 whilst using mixtures of standard silicone sealants and sawdust in her work.[7].
    After receiving business grants,[8] Ní Dhulchaointigh worked with retired scientists from Dow Corning[9] and a silicone expert over a seven year period[7] at the materials department at Queen Mary, University of London[7] to develop a silicone elastomer that was moldable, self-adhesive and self-curing. Her goal was to enable people "to easily and affordably repair, improve or customise things they already own."[9]"

Arcade & Retro,
    We're both entertaining and informative!
    Amaze your friends with your newly attained knowledge and get the ladies again and again with your in-depth facts about the world around you!

It's the Arcade & Retro forum,
    We're terrific and love you all!!! *

*we are terrific but do not love you all, not even most of you, just a few, the rest we hold in the deepest contempt, especially fanboys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Games are constantly insisting - to their own downfall - on trying to recreate Hollywood spectacle. An awful lot of big budget gaming is guilty of this. However, Uncharted - especially Amongst Thieves - was one of the few that did it spectacularly. If you're going to steer the player through the game, you can at least reward them with thrills that are genuinely thrilling. And, even though there's about as much interaction as teletext, the writing, presentation, characters and voice acting are completely and utterly unequaled in gaming.

Uncharted 3 was a step back, though. It really shows itself up as a barely interactive series of setpieces with some unconvincing combat sections interrupting the pace every few minutes. Sure, the spectacle and production values are still there, but it's missing something Uncharted 2 had in wonderful excess, and the rollercoaster tracks make themselves obvious all too often.

Still, I'd consider Uncharted an exception in the school of 'cinematic' gaming - of which I'd consider single-player Call of Duty a particularly bad contender (at least the MP makes up for it there). I much rather games that are based on genuine skill and player authorship - whether it be Street Fighter, Bayonetta or DoDonPachi. Or a game where the player has significant control over the narrative flow within predetermined confines - Persona or Mass Effect. But the best of all, and disturbingly rare, are the games that use interactivity (or thoughtfully considered lack thereof) to elicit a real emotional response. I can only think of a handful - Flower, Half-Life Ep. 2 and Braid are the three I'd always hold up as stellar, forward-thinking narrative games - and we sure as hell need more of them. We have far too many expensive rollercoaster games. We need some that actually bring gaming and storytelling forward without trying to copy Hollywood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

@Adultappleflavouredbeveragemale: There's no mention of sniffing games in that marketing blurb. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

waveform wrote: »
    Never knew the awesome invention that is sugru was created by an irish lady:

"The idea for Sugru was developed by Jane Ní Dhulchaointigh from Kilkenny, Ireland[6]. Ní Dhulchaointigh studied product design as a post-graduate research student at the Royal College of Art[6] where she conceived the idea for the substance in 2003 whilst using mixtures of standard silicone sealants and sawdust in her work.[7].
    After receiving business grants,[8] Ní Dhulchaointigh worked with retired scientists from Dow Corning[9] and a silicone expert over a seven year period[7] at the materials department at Queen Mary, University of London[7] to develop a silicone elastomer that was moldable, self-adhesive and self-curing. Her goal was to enable people "to easily and affordably repair, improve or customise things they already own."[9]"

Yeah, even the name is derived from an Irish word (súgradh).

On a completely different note.
    Does anyone know a place in Dublin that hires out jib and dolly type things for cameras? Preferable for reasonable rates.
    I need to get some sort of system setup for the summer for a little project myself and a few others are running and would prefer not to have to buy them as they can be pricey.

Or if anyone here has the skills to make such devices, lets talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Anyone got any advice on how i can get my other half away from playing monkey island ?

I thought in all stupidity that she would get bored and id be able to play for an hour or so this evening :o

How wrong i was so time for bed and thank feck for the Psp

A good solid hour of Heavy Boulder Dash action

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well I could think of a few ways that work for me to gain a womans attention. But be prepared to get naked,wet and without shame!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well I could think of a few ways that work for me to gain a womans attention. But be prepared to get naked,wet and without shame!

Stroll over to her confidently, stand in front of her, lick your finger and wipe it on her, then say "let's get you out of those wet clothes."

My patented registered trademark pickup line never fails!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I can usually just give someone "the look"

Stroll over to her confidently, stand in front of her, lick your finger and wipe it on her, then say "let's get you out of those wet clothes."

My patented registered trademark pickup line never fails!

From the man who got moist at the thoughts of meeting Kerbdog. I just felt it was important to point this out before anyone takes dirty tips off him :D

I can usually just give someone "the look"

This?

1145914-jackburton_large.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

EnterNow wrote: »
    From the man who got moist at the thoughts of meeting Kerbdog. I just felt it was important to point this out before anyone takes dirty tips off him :D

What? It just so happened to be raining at the time I read that post and so was moist

>.>

<.<

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Advertisement

Second hour into Skyward Sword and it's finally got going and I'm enjoying it. Controls are also making a lot more sense and I've realised all I need are small wrsit flicks (oo-err!).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement