Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheating.. *See Mod Note in Post 112*

1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Keep it calm, folks!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

THFC wrote: »
    Oh my gawd man STFU!
    How about no?
    Don't be so bitter, the people that deserve their place will get it anyways and it won't be through random selection.
    Bitter? These exams should be fair. Giving 30/55,000 people an advantage just because they have a lenient supervisor is completely unfair.
    And what about all the other examiners that dont hand out the papers until 9.30/2.00 on the dot??
    What about them? They're doing their job properly.
    They're losing out on precious few seconds that could cost them their college place!:rolleyes: Perhaps they should be encouraged to write to the SEC too and ask for a more lenient marking scheme... After all it's only fair :/
    A few seconds =/= Fifteen minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

How about no?

Bitter? These exams should be fair. Giving 30/55,000 people an advantage just because they have a lenient supervisor is completely unfair.

What about them? They're doing their job properly.

A few seconds =/= Fifteen minutes.
    Man... get a life! If this is bothering you that much I don't what to say..

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

^^^ this..

Sure my superintendant helped loads of people in our centre during the exams :D JUst small bits but I'm not gonna rat on them like!

That's odd. You say you don't know what to say yet you still tell me to "get a life".

As an aside, let's say my examiner gave my exam centre an extra half an hour for Maths P1 because he thought the paper looked tough. If I posted that on boards would it be alright for me to tell you to "get a life" for wanting to keep things fair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Lads phone went off during the first exams after out supervisor had pointed out the sign. Just took the phone off him and let him continue with the exam and returned it at the end. Didn't even write it on the lads paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

It bothers him because like most people sitting the exams he want's them to be fair .
    I agree with that

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

It bothers him because like most people sitting the exams he want's them to be fair .
    I agree with that

Well life isn't fair.
    Study your hardest and do your best, don't worry about others.

._. wrote: »
    Well life isn't fair.
    Study your hardest and do your best, don't worry about others.
    Life isn't fair so let's just keep it unfair. Let's not even attempt to make things fair.

That's a great attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Lads, there's f*** all that can be done now, move on.

• Advertisement

Life isn't fair so let's just keep it unfair. Let's not even attempt to make things fair.

attempting to make things fair is obviously too much effort for the Lazy people out there

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Don't tell me you would walk out of that exam, head straight to your principal's office and risk getting your exam cancelled just to "try to do something" about some shameless c*nt?

The world is a bitch and the system is corrupt and we can't fix that. Think about it this way, students sitting the Leaving Cert with a much higher IQ than others technically have an "unfair" advantage over people who might not have been born so lucky.

There's nothing we can do about it, really.

attempting to make things fair is obviously too much effort for the Lazy people out there
    I can understand people not caring or not being bothered to try and keep things fair. I cannot however understand the mindset of people who go so far as to ridicule people who do want to try and keep things fair.

The world is a bitch and the system is corrupt and we can't fix that. Think about it this way, students sitting the Leaving Cert with a much higher IQ than others technically have an "unfair" advantage over people who might not have been born so lucky.
    What a poor argument. There's quite a big difference between natural differences in ability between people and freely giving people time extensions in exams where people can often be stuck for time.

cannot however understand the mindset of people who go so far as to ridicule people who do want to try and keep things fair.

nor can I

OR we could just keep our noses out of other people's business?

The students didn't do anything wrong, the examiner did. He should be punished, not them.

Judging by your responses it's pretty obvious you must be bricking it over your own exams.. Why else would you be worrying so much over 33 people getting a slight advantage over you?
    If not, i'll chalk it up to you being a busybody.

You really think these people are the only ones in the country getting some kind of an advantage? C'mon..
    This stuff happens in Ireland every year and will continue to happen no matter what.
    Worrying about your own exams is the only thing you can do. If you (like me) are doing well enough to more than clear the points you need you won't be worrying about (hearing about) 33 people getting a slight edge.

And as for you portraying yourself as somebody fighting to keep the leaving cert fair and honest.. I don't think I even need to tell you how ridiculous that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

partyatmygaff, exactly, there's a huge difference. An extra half an hour is nothing compared to more natural ability in a given subject.

I did the history exam and killed myself writing 12 pages. A girl in my class wrote 20, even though we have handwriting of about the same size. Am I gonna go mad at her for writing down more than me? No, it's my own fault for not writing faster. I'm part of the system, I chose to sit history for the Leaving Cert and it's my responsibility to maximise my marks.

Does it annoy me that I'm better at history but she probably will get a higher grade? Yes, of course it annoys me. Would it annoy me if I found out that other people in a different school got an extra 15 minutes in their exam? Sure, that seems unfair.

But those cases are so rare that it most likely won't affect my chances of getting into college. I know my own abilities, and so do you, so why get upset over something that you couldn't possibly change?

why get upset over something that you couldn't possibly change?
    QFT.

._. wrote: »
    OR we could just keep our noses out of other people's business?
    Where are you getting this from? How am I being nosy for wanting the person who witnessed this to report the superintendent?
    The students didn't do anything wrong, the examiner did. He should be punished, not them.
    Did I ever ask for the students to be punished? All I asked was for the superintendent to be reported.
    Judging by your responses it's pretty obvious you must be bricking it over your own exams..
    That's some pretty wild inductive reasoning.
    Why else would you be worrying so much over 33 people getting a slight advantage over you?
    I dunno. Perhaps because some of these 33 faceless people may be competing with me for college places? Even so, I still fail to see where you're getting the whole "bothered" thing from. All I did was ask for the superintendent to be reported. The exact same thing that spurious said. Yet for some inexplicable reason i'm being called a busybody and being told to "get a life".
    If not, i'll chalk it up to you being a busybody.
    I wouldn't be surprised judging by your track record of making wild accusations.

so why get upset over something that you couldn't possibly change?
    Where the hell is this whole idea that i'm upset or bothered about any of this coming from? All I said was that I wanted the superintendent to be reported, the same as everyone else. Someone quoted one of my posts and replied to it and I replied back. Somehow it snowballed in to this massive "Get over yourself" argument with people sanctimoniously telling me to "Get a life" and not "get upset over something" that I couldn't possibly change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Keep it calm, folks!! ;)
    Hmmm, seems I've become invisible.

(I would also draw your attention to point number 3, post 112)

Folks, I haven't the slightest interest in reading this kind of flaming on a Saturday night.

Go study ... or go relax before next week ... or go celebrate being finished!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement