Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Lithium to water supplies will reduce suicide rates...

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't know/care

It isn't. One idiot with letters after his name spouted some ****e to get his name in the paper. Ryanair tactics.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    ****ing hell, the idea that not only has this been tested but that there is a train of thought that it should be implemented it terrifying.

It hasn't been tested. They did studies in areas where lithium occurs naturally in the water.

Don't worry, there is no way, now how this is ever going to happen. Lithium is too toxic - even in people prescribed lithium they have to get levels measured frequently to prevent toxicity. It has a bunch of side effects. Never going to happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I don't know/care
    People actually DRINK tap water? I've had sour milk that tastes better than the **** that comes out of taps never mind what stuff is thrown into the mix.

P.s better ways to try and reduce suicide..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

I wonder if I could refuse to pay the forthcoming water charges on the grounds that I have false teeth and I am self medicating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Living on an Island, getting happy drugs in the water supply. If I try to leave will a white blob engulf me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Is that like lithium from batteries, thought that stuff was like acid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I've been on lithium. It's fucking awful. You know what's worse than being suicidally depressed? Being on lithium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I don't know/care
    Like a previous poster here said, can we just have clean water please.

the government is paying a lot of cash to toxic waste companies to dump fluoride into the water supply, I think the government could stop this practice and save some money and also save us from long term illness.

It is ironic that in Germany when asked about fluoridation way back in 2000 they had this reply below, and this country's Irish government has still not abided by the human rights of it's citizens. forced mass medication of an E.U member state is a human rights issue...

Germanynofluoridation.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is that like lithium from batteries, thought that stuff was like acid?
    Lithium is alkaline

Basic chemistry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I don't know/care
    Lithium is alkaline

Basic chemistry.

Don't base judgement on him like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

It is not needed, we have a full set of emotions that are normal and healthy, happy and sad etc, people with real depressive or mental problems should have the full support of the Hse and that should be that, the fact that this is a disccussion is ludricous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I don't know/care
    I don't think the public should have an input on what gets put in the water supply. Let's just leave it to the people in charge. *drinks more water*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Thank you nanny state:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I don't know/care
    At least the germans have some sense but the Irish government want all it's citizens uneducated and dumbed down in cases like this as then they won't even question their directives in regard to forced medication. I blame all Irish people for the likes of this as hardly a citizen of this country stands up for their rights especially in this case, they all should be ashamed of themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Shulgin wrote: »
    I want the water that comes out of my tap to be as close to natural as possible.
    Pure H2O and whatever gets dissolved in from the bedrock on the way is what I want.

Whatever gets dissolved from the bedrock?.........Like Uranium?

There's a likelihood trace amounts of lithium are all ready in the water.

I don't know if someone has mentioned this already. The research paper claiming lithium added to the tap water reduces incidence of suicide, is based on results from one county in Texas. That county might have been a wealthy happy county, where people just don't kill themselves that much.

There was another study done in the UK. Based on measuring suicide rates between areas that had significant amounts of natural lithium in the tap water , against areas that did not. And it was found there was no statistical significant difference in the suicide rate. This was a much larger sample that the Texas study.

In other words.......Adding lithium to the tap water, will have no effect on the suicide rate.

It might be a healthy thing to do. Another recent study has shown that rats given lithium can heal nerve damage better than rats not given it. It might be good for aches and pains.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I don't know/care
    Is there any chance of them adding lime cordial to the water supply? I find water a bit bland, and a little flavour would really do the trick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

seperate taps for summer fruits or orange cordial plz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I don't know/care
    one major flaw in that idea is if your allergic to lithium you wont be able to drink tap water.

also wouldn't it screw up the development of unborn babies and new borns?

without a detailed scientific research adding lithium into the water supply could open up a huge can of worms when it comes to how babies develop

• Registered Users Posts: 9 purplestuff

No they shouldn't.That Hitler ****.Spiking water supplies with chemicals that cause liver failure.No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Almostreal

I don't know/care
    A bipolar friend of mine once took a double dose of lithium by mistake and it wasn't ****ing funny! This is a heavy duty drug and even a tiny bit extra for the sizable number of people already taking it could be a very bad thing. Or would they just have to stop drinking tap water?

Doctors are notorious for self medicating. This guy probably thinks it's like asprin. incidentally: Physicians have had the highest suicide rate compared to people in any other line of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

We've are own well :cool:

couldn't care less :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Plenty of Law and Order will reduce Suicides .People have nobody to turn to and give up .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I'm against it
    i use a brita water filter so will that filter out the lithium:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

While activated charcoal works well on most poison substances, it does not work well on substances such as lithium, strong acids and bases, metals or minerals like sodium, iron, lead, arsenic, iodine, fluorine or boric acid.
    http://www.ehow.com/about_5040834_activated-charcoal-used.html

Advertisement