Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone sitting BS2 Exams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

An Citeog wrote: »
    Then if that's all that's given and he hasn't given you a sample solution in any of the notes/tutorials, just state your assumption at the top of the question and work away.

I'd assume that the first payment is now (Y0) and that subsequent payments are made at the start of each year until the 10th payment has been made (ie. Y1-9)

The present value of your outflow = 100 + 100(6.8017) = €780.17

Assuming then that you'll start to receive the perpetuity from the beginning of Y10:

PV of perpetuity (inflow) = (100/0.6)/1.06^10 = €930.66

The PV of your inflow is greater than the PV of your outflow (positive NPV), so it is a good deal.

Thanks!

The present value of your outflow = 100 + 100(6.8017) = €780.17

Sorry where did you get this figure again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 cartman555

does anyone know for IR, he said Q3 was on lecture 10 and Q4 was on 13. But lecture 10 is on the non-union approach on moodle but in the course outline it's on the role of the state. He said as well that Q3 is based on chapter 4 in the book, which is to to do with the role of the state,does anyone know which one we're supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

DeadMoney wrote: »
    Sorry where did you get this figure again?

If you assume that the first payment is made in Y0, the other 9 payments are made in Y1-9

PV = 100 + 100*(Annuity Factor for 9 years @6%)

You can find the annuity factor in the tables or you can calculate it manually:

AF = (1/r - 1/r(1+r)^n)

You calculate the annuity factor for 9 years because if the first payment of €100 is made now, the 10th payment will be made in 9 years time.

That any clearer?:)

cartman555 wrote: »
    does anyone know for IR, he said Q3 was on lecture 10 and Q4 was on 13. But lecture 10 is on the non-union approach on moodle but in the course outline it's on the role of the state. He said as well that Q3 is based on chapter 4 in the book, which is to to do with the role of the state,does anyone know which one we're supposed to do?

Sorry I don't know but i've heard there is confusion over this. I'm choosing to just cover sections 1-4 i.e, Q1&2

• Advertisement

If you assume that the first payment is made in Y0, the other 9 payments are made in Y1-9

AF = (1/r - 1/r(1+r)^n)

You calculate the annuity factor for 9 years because if the first payment of €100 is made now, the 10th payment will be made in 9 years time.

ty:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sinn7

AF = (1/r - 1/r(1+r)^n)

What I'm confised about though is I have an example from the lectures I've been following which says, "Calculate the PV of an annuity paying €50 a year for 5 years when the interest rate is 10%"

The way he did it was just 50*3.791 (which is the interest factor for a 5 year annuity at 10% from the tables) giving PV = 189.55

I'm just wondering how is this different to the one you did above?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

sinn7 wrote: »
    What I'm confised about though is I have an example from the lectures I've been following which says, "Calculate the PV of an annuity paying €50 a year for 5 years when the interest rate is 10%"

The way he did it was just 50*3.791 (which is the interest factor for a 5 year annuity at 10% from the tables) giving PV = 189.55

I'm just wondering how is this different to the one you did above?

It all comes down to the assumption you make as to when the cash flow begins. I assumed that you'd have to pay €100 now (Y0), a year from now (Y1) and so on until you've made the 10 annual payments (ie. at the beginning of year 9). The perpetuity would then start paying out from the beginning of year 10. That just seems the most logical to me but it's up to you how you interpret it.

In your example, the first payment is in Y1 rather than Y0, which is why you use the annuity factor for 5 years.

As I said, just state your assumption at the start of the question (ie. 1st payment in Y1) and use the 10 year annuity factor and you should be given full marks.

It all comes down to the assumption you make as to when the cash flow begins. I assumed that you'd have to pay €100 now (Y0), a year from now (Y1) and so on until you've made the 10 annual payments (ie. at the beginning of year 9). The perpetuity would then start paying out from the beginning of year 10. That just seems the most logical to me but it's up to you how you interpret it.

In your example, the first payment is in Y1 rather than Y0, which is why you use the annuity factor for 5 years.

As I said, just state your assumption at the start of the question (ie. 1st payment in Y1) and use the 10 year annuity factor and you should be given full marks.

Ah okay. Thanks for explaining that! :)

Hey, I'm just revising some of my economics Q's and for the one about variations of Oligopoly I have a description of what Oligopoly is, Basic theories (Cournot & Bertand) and some variations including Product Differentiation, Differentiated reactions, Collusion, and Conjectural Variation.

Anybody have anything else they think is important to mention for this question?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm just revising some of my economics Q's and for the one about variations of Oligopoly I have a description of what Oligopoly is, Basic theories (Cournot & Bertand) and some variations including Product Differentiation, Differentiated reactions, Collusion, and Conjectural Variation.

Anybody have anything else they think is important to mention for this question?
    Thanks

I have all that and a little bit on Stackelberg Leadership

I have all that and a little bit on Stackelberg Leadership

oh yeah forgot to throw a bit of that in, thanks

What topics are ye guys doing for Industrial relations? I'm doing Sec 1-4 coz he said Q1 and Q2 will be based on this. Should probably do another topic also as a back up in case the questions are tough. Also, it the CA for this worth 30% or 40%?

What topics are ye guys doing for Industrial relations? I'm doing Sec 1-4 coz he said Q1 and Q2 will be based on this. Should probably do another topic also as a back up in case the questions are tough. Also, it the CA for this worth 30% or 40%?

The CA is worth 30%. He wanted it to be 40 but they wouldn't let him change it (I think he missed the deadline). I'm gonna try cover them all except the employment relationship because I don't have time to read the article he put up! By them all I mean lectures 1-4, 10 and 13 obviously

The CA is worth 30%. He wanted it to be 40 but they wouldn't let him change it (I think he missed the deadline). I'm gonna try cover them all except the employment relationship because I don't have time to read the article he put up! By them all I mean lectures 1-4, 10 and 13 obviously

thanks, yeah i've covered that article on the employment relationship but have left out 10 and 13 so far coz I just couldn't bear reading them. Which do you think is as easier topic to study between the two. The less content the better :)

From looking over lecture 10 and 13 I think 13 is a bit easier to understand. Still a bit confused though as to what needs to be covered in this section? Does this lecture correspond with a chapter in the book, or is it best to just learn all the notes on the slides. Its just the slides seem a bit all over the place.
    thanks

From looking over lecture 10 and 13 I think 13 is a bit easier to understand. Still a bit confused though as to what needs to be covered in this section? Does this lecture correspond with a chapter in the book, or is it best to just learn all the notes on the slides. Its just the slides seem a bit all over the place.
    thanks

I'm not sure about easier cos I haven't reached 13 yet, but I do know that 13 is shorter than 10. I haven't once looked at the book though so I've no idea if it corresponds with a particular chapter, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Butters111

Hey, for the Selten's Chain Store paradox question do you literally just talk about the theory or does limit pricing and third degree price discrimination etc. come into it? Thanks

Butters111 wrote: »
    Hey, for the Selten's Chain Store paradox question do you literally just talk about the theory or does limit pricing and third degree price discrimination etc. come into it? Thanks

I didn't mention them although my notes do seem a bit short for that question so it's probably up to you

I didn't mention them although my notes do seem a bit short for that question so it's probably up to you

Hey I'm tryin to tackle that q now because its either that or NSI! I'm a bit confused with what to write for the essay because there's not much that I can find in the book about selten's chain store besides page 228? If anyone could give me some idea on the direction to take would be much appreciated

• Advertisement

Hey I'm tryin to tackle that q now because its either that or NSI! I'm a bit confused with what to write for the essay because there's not much that I can find in the book about selten's chain store besides page 228? If anyone could give me some idea on the direction to take would be much appreciated

This question on Selten's chain store drove me nuts last week when I tried to write it. I left in uncompleted coz I really can't seem to grasp the idea of it. All I can tell you is that the paradox in the chain store is that 'the nash equilibrium suggests that the incumbent should cooperate but in practice, resisting the new entrant is more likely'. This is the paradox but dunno what the hell it means so i'm skipping this question and FML if it comes up. :rolleyes:

Anyone know if the marketing slides are good to go by for studying for the exam? I have no book so don't really have any other option but there seems to be a good amount in the slides.

This question on Selten's chain store drove me nuts last week when I tried to write it. I left in uncompleted coz I really can't seem to grasp the idea of it. All I can tell you is that the paradox in the chain store is that 'the nash equilibrium suggests that the incumbent should cooperate but in practice, resisting the new entrant is more likely'. This is the paradox but dunno what the hell it means so i'm skipping this question and FML if it comes up. :rolleyes:

Anyone know if the marketing slides are good to go by for studying for the exam? I have no book so don't really have any other option but there seems to be a good amount in the slides.

Its a pain and lecturer won't email back! Feel like I only barely have half of each q answered!!

As far as marketing goes, I'm just gonna do the slides as well, don't have the book and notes are really long anyway. Reckon it will be enough to pass!

Its a pain and lecturer won't email back! Feel like I only barely have half of each q answered!!

He's meeting with students individually to discuss the exam, you just have to email him first for a time. If you are worried about it and live in Dublin then might be worth popping in. To be honest though i'm not too worried about economics coz I really think just using basic descriptions of some of the main points of the question is enough to pass. Obviously for a high mark you'd have to go in to more lengthy discussion and analysis but there is just too much **** to learn between all exams so I'm just learning the basic points of each.

He's meeting with students individually to discuss the exam, you just have to email him first for a time. If you are worried about it and live in Dublin then might be worth popping in. To be honest though i'm not too worried about economics coz I really think just using basic descriptions of some of the main points of the question is enough to pass. Obviously for a high mark you'd have to go in to more lengthy discussion and analysis but there is just too much **** to learn between all exams so I'm just learning the basic points of each.

Just takes ages to get all the way into DCU for him to probably not be all that helpful! Yeah hopefully its enough to pass! I know you didn't have much for the paradox question but any idea whether ... would be collusion!?

Okay well the thing with Selten's Chain Store Paradox (and sorry if you're like yeah I know that already) is basically the original store (aka the incumbent) is obviously making the most profits when it's the only one in the market. So the ideal situation for the original firm is that no new firms enter the market. But they do anyway. So the original firm can either act aggressively (cutting prices etc) to try and force the new firm out of the market or co-operate with them (I'm not sure how they co-operate...collusion?).

If the original firm acts aggresively, both firms will make a loss. If they co-operate both firms will make a profit but this profit will be less than the original firm used to make without competition. So they'll probably act aggressively in the hopes that the new firm will leave the market cos they're making a loss and the original firm can go back to making its old profit. The new firm probably won't leave though and everyone will just make a loss.

The paradox is that game theory shows they'll make more profit by co-operating but even so they'll still act aggressively. It's kind of a catch 22 situation

thanks for the explanation Sinn, this really helps. Your wording is a lot more "reader friendly" than that bloody enonomics book! ;)

Hey do you mind I just have a question about Lecture 13 in Industrial relations if you know? What is the best guide for learning this topic, the slides are sort of hard to follow coz I am not really sure what structure to follow.
    thanks

Hey do you mind I just have a question about Lecture 13 in Industrial relations if you know? What is the best guide for learning this topic, the slides are sort of hard to follow coz I am not really sure what structure to follow.
    thanks

Not sure I can help you there, haven't done Lecture 13 yet. Just had a flick through it and I can see what you mean about the layout.

There seems to be a good bit about the history, development and disadvantages of industrial democracy but I'm not sure where partnership comes in...

Hey I emailed the economics lecturer and asked him about the exam and stuff. This is his reply, might be useful.

"To prove that you can understand and engage with a question, it is not required that you memorize an essay. I really don't know how much more info I can give you. If you know the main issues and points and can use them to address the question then you'll do fine. The other issue that arises from your question is a common student query on how long the answer must be. It depends on the size of your writing and so on. But if you really need some indication then one page is probably not enough. Does that mean two pages? Obviously, one page of relevant material is better than two pages of irrelevancies".

• Advertisement

Not sure I can help you there, haven't done Lecture 13 yet. Just had a flick through it and I can see what you mean about the layout.

There seems to be a good bit about the history, development and disadvantages of industrial democracy but I'm not sure where partnership comes in...

ok thanks! I think i'll scrap L.13 and do 10 instead. U don't have guide for that one by any chance? Jesus I better stop picking and choosing and start bloody learning it, its getting close now :rolleyes:

Advertisement