Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Healthy snacking

• 30-11-2006 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I'm in final year and as such I'm up late enough most nights studying and by proxy snacking. The problem is I'm getting more interested in weight lifting and trying to improve my fitness generally, so this isn't helping! Can you suggest any snacks that are healthier/less calorific than say toffy pops, taytos or yoghurt raisins??? It would have to be something fairly easy to eat, not fruit and nuts (which are still fairly calorie laden anyways)

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Archeron

This might sound strange but I've developed quite a taste for those mini-weetabix with fruit in them as a snacky thing. I imagine they are healthier than tayto anyway, and after about 10 of the minibixes, you get a strange content and full feeling that you just dont get with the usual munchies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Do you take protein shakes at night? A protein shake at night made with milk instead of water and maybe a bit of fruit and yoghurt thrown in as well as a smoothie makes a great snack and is good - if you're weightlifting that is - to take shortly before you sleep. :D

Although some protein shakes taste a bit gank, so you could try something like Spiritulina? Or however its spelt. It's still high in protein and tastes pretty good and comes in a good few flavours.

If its something you want to just nibble on I suppose maybe a bit of fruit is better then tayto but hardly leaves you feeling satisfied. At night I usually eat a few plain rich tea biscuits or salted crackers myself. A good thing to eat would be just some lean meat - high in protein and low in carbs which is what you'd want late at night. But again, eating meat late at night just isn't everybodies thing. I've eat anything, anytime though. Last time out after a night clubbing I sat down outside the club waiting for a taxi with a big packet of chicken and a pint of skimmed milk from the nearby 24 hour. Beats eating ****e at supermacs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I is a poor student (really ****ing poor at the minute) and as such can't really afford a protein supplement right now, much as I want one.
    A couple of evenings this week I had a salad with two boiled eggs, which was nice and filling. The problem lies in essays and studying-yesterday I spent all of 12 and a half minutes in the kitchen, the rest of the time was spent in lectures or writing my essay, which I was up until half two writing. I might get cereal as a snack, it would be better than taytos, and I will try to have some meat handy if possible.
    I'm not particularly fussy about what I eat and when, but I find myself almost craving something sweet or savoury during the late nights, so thats something I want to get a handle on. I haven't gained any weight from all the crap yet but its only a matter of time really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I made a really strange snack last night in the blender - Cyclone protein mix, disgestive biscuits, honey, natural yoghurt, ice, milk, banana and a few other bits. It was great. Not so great for me, but great nonetheless. It was post workout though so I guess it wasn't so bad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I'm in final year too Brian and when I'm trying to be healthy I'll snack on special k bars or nutri-grains, anything cereal orientated!

• Advertisement

Oh good idea! Aldi and Lidl have lovely ones I should get some of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nutri Grains and many cereal bars are extremely high in sugar and are far from healthy. Why don't you just eat some cereal instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Faith wrote:
    Nutri Grains and many cereal bars are extremely high in sugar and are far from healthy. Why don't you just eat some cereal instead?
    most cereals are really high in sugar too if you get the processed ones like Kelloggs, Nestle etc.
    Muesli is good, you can get a lot that don't have added sugar....or mix your own and it's just as tasty.

Yeah, I know, I meant the low sugar kind, not Frosties or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

man, frosties, haven't had them in years...now i want em lol!! :D
    oh btw, even some cereals like bran flakes and that are quite high in sugar

• Advertisement

Faith wrote:

In fairness even porridge is full of carbs, late night porridge binges would be (almost) as bad as anything else!

Edit: i guess at this stage I'm lookng for the lesser of so evils so to speak.

There's a big difference between complex carbohydrates (as found in porridge) and sugar. Porridge is broken down slowly and steadily releases glucose into your blood stream, so you stay at a constant level without the big high and massive low that you get with high sugar foods. If you want to stay full for a long time, porridge is your best bet (the bigger the oats the better). If you just want to pick at something over a long period of time, nuts are the best. I know you said in your OP that they're high in calories, which is true, but they're mostly good calories. Anybody in the fitness forum would advise you to eat them.

Otherwise, try peanut butter on crispbread or 100% wholemeal bread. I'm always stuffed when I eat that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What about rice cakes? Almost like eating cardboard though.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Another good one is one of the small tins of heinz baked beans. Full of protein and it fills you up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I like to snack on popcorn, ricecakes with yoghurt, raw carrots or fruit, and the classic boiled egg with some blk pepper is a tasty snack that helps keep the hunger levels down.

:)

Advertisement