Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haunted in Cork

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Jako8 wrote: »
    There's a lot of orbs in those pictures especially one huge one above a window.

Orbs me hole. They aren't spirit energy manifestations at all. Only very, very rarely when youre certain the 'light' in the things exists independently and that there isn't any rain/mist or a lot of dust around (like in those tunnels). Btw, you can't get into those St. Finbarr's tunnels nowadays. 1) the place is crawling with security men and cctv, and 2) the shoddy (and dangerous)entrance that a person would use to get into the tunnels before is gone now. Cleared away.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You're taking the piss arent ya? If it's so common (theres bound to be lots of people driving past Fota House after 12 down through the years),why hasn't it been mentioned on the news or in a newspaper? I lived in Cork for the first 22 years of my life and I never heard anything about that

Play nicely, please.

This story is a very common anecdote, (the thing of seeing a ghostly figure in your rear view mirror). Its one of those urban myths, usually ascribed to my dads cousins sisters friend, or something. :) If youve had it first hand off someone FinBT, thats interesting, but as its such a common theme, I do wonder if you look into it, will that turn out to be the case?

Sometimes people like to make up stories for the ghoulish effect of it all. I expect there'll be a lot more of this craic on here coming up to Halloween. I think there was some fella who posted on here a few months ago (may have been the psychics and mediums thread) saying he saw a figure of a young girl kitted out in Victorian clothes sitting in the back seat of his car. Either that really was the case, or he was just taking a child he knew to a fancy dress party and got confused.

I've heard a fair few banshee tales in my time, or that thing where a person hears three knocks outside a door/window and next thing they know, Bob's their uncle,Fanny's their aunt, someone they know is dead the next day/week. I heard a couple of loud knocks as clear as day outside my bedroom window when I was 15 and I was certain no-one was out of bed because I was the last one to go to bed. Switched off all the lights and locked the two doors. Our house was out in the countryside as well,with our nearest neighbour lived about a quarter of a mile down the road from us. There also werent any trees right outside the window that would have knocked against it and it was a still night. Well,no-one I knew died shortly after that anyway.

I suppose Cobh is as likely to have a spot of spirit activity as much as the next town because most of Ireland has a rich history. Cobh is a fairly cool, atmospheric place tho, what with all the steep little winding streets. I think the north of Cobh town is much less attractive than the touristy part on the lower side. Few knackery estates are up there in the direction of Cobh Hospital. Does anyone know what town would be labelled as the most haunted in Ireland. As far as Cork goes, Conna has a bit of a rep for that.

cork boi wrote: »
    I would not like to tell you who I am but I am working in the city fire service. Our station on anglesea street is supposed to be "haunted"

we often hear strange noises at night, and one night a few years ago we were woken from our sleep by one of the lads screaming... he was not able to move frozen solid. 6 of us tried to help him by trying to lift him off the bed... no joy we could not move him suddenly whatever was holding him down let go and that was it.....

very strange indeed

Did anything else weird happen in your station since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Delboyeire IPIC

I sure as fcuck wouldnt like to be left inside that place at night for any length of time

Hellsm.jpg

This is interesting. Some very good shots there.

It it possible to get permission to investigate that location?

• Advertisement

I'd say you'd have to get on the HSE about it 'cause AFAIK they own that site. Now they might laugh at a paranormal investigation group wanting to go in there. Another thing is that they wouldn't want to stick their necks out should any of your gang happen to get injured on-site.In these cash-strapped times government bodies are less likely to take risks with anything that might incur a financial loss for them. Anyway their head offices are here:

1) Oak House, Millennium Park, Naas, Co. Kildare
    Phone: +353 (0)45 880400
    Fax: 1890 200893

2) Parkgate St. Business Centre, Dublin 8
    Phone: +353 (0)1 635 2500
    Fax: 01 635 2823

Most people (paranormal-minded or not) head into the place unlawfully. From what Ive been told, your main problems are things like unmarked police cars pulling up in the car park below by those apartments wondering what in the jaysus youre doing, local druggies and scobes, and climbing into the hospital without falling. Someone said that there was a brick ledge yoke that used to be handy for climbing up on to get inside the place but it's been knocked away now. The nearest windows to the ground are all covered over with sheets of metal as well. So think Alcatraz - but from the outside in. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hucklefinn

Hi there. I am not a resident of cork, but a foreigner who stayed there last night, at the Isaac hotel. The hotel was booked for me by some of the people I was working for, so it was completely random.
    When I was going to bed, and turned off the lights, I started feeling really uneasy, which then quickly turned to a feeling of fright, and I ended up turning on the lights and falling asleep with them on.

Now - I normally never pick up on "bad" vibes, despite walking around a lot of odd places, exploring abandoned houses, staying at the odd amount of hotels and working in theaters renowned for having ghosts. I also rarely get scared of the dark, and not when lying in a bed in a "secure" place, so I found this really odd.

I found it odder still (if not to say downright disturbing) when I confessed this to my colleague, who had been staying in another room on the first floor, and she said that she had done exactly the same and for the same reasons - i.e. had to turn on the lights in order to fall asleep because she had felt so uneasy about being alone in the dark in her room! This despite also being a "normally non-seeing/sensing person" if we can call it that.

So we talked about whether the place could actually be haunted, and I tried to google it with no result, but I was thinking that you guys might know if anyone else has experienced unease in the place or if it has a history that might lend an explanation to this strange coincidence of experience?

sincerely, h.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Spion Kopite

LCDeelite wrote: »
    Check out Carr's Hill old famine cemetery on the Cork-Carrigaline road, on your left approx. two miles before you hit Carrigaline town. Literally thousands of famine victims were lobbed into huge mass graves on the site.

Everyone is always talking about Cork City Gaol (old women's jail) being haunted. I've been in there several times - at night and during the daytime - over the years and I never saw or felt anything in the place. I don't know what all the brouhaha is about, tbh.

On the other hand, St. Kevin's Hospital also in the Sunday's Well area is haunted. It's that huge, red-brick building to the right of those Atkins Hall apartments (which used to be the infamous Our Lady's Hospital/Eglinton Asylum/Cork County Asylum).

If you can manage to actually get inside St. Kevin's Hospital (which is prohibited, I'll point out), I guarantee that you'll experience something unpleasant of an 'otherwordly' nature within about 40 minutes - 1 hour.

There are several other places in Cork that have a haunted reputation as well, but I'm looking into those places more thoroughly to come to a definitive conclusion..
    On the other hand, St. Kevin's Hospital also in the Sunday's Well area is haunted. It's that huge, red-brick building to the right of those Atkins Hall apartments (which used to be the infamous Our Lady's Hospital/Eglinton Asylum/Cork County Asylum).

If you can manage to actually get inside St. Kevin's Hospital (which is prohibited, I'll point out), I guarantee that you'll experience something unpleasant of an 'otherwordly' nature within about 40 minutes - 1 hour.

There are several other places in Cork that have a haunted reputation as well, but I'm looking into those places more thoroughly to come to a definitive conclusion..

This particular building is very unsafe these days lads (not in the paranormal sense or structurally). This building and the surrounding buildings that are unused are now drug dens for users from the area . I have been in these buildings for professional reasons and have seen lots of discarded syringes etc so for your own safety lads I would stay well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Did you ever manage to get permission to go in there... If you havent got the chance to try I would be more than happy to chance me arm and see would they give permission to go in....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello

Ok I am back again..Just pondering if anyone had been in there recently just to see how safe it is...We took a trip up there this evening there is loadsa spray painting n all that around, we didnt go into the building as twas getting late and we were worried about not so nice people hanging around, but we are gona head up there again this weekend in the early hours if anyone fancies taking a trip let me know the more the better well kinda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 roche91

Lads in all fairness i'd sleep in any place in cork wihtut a care n the world all this ghost business is funny.
    Who cares they're dead and they can't scare you at all.
    Grow some balls men :) Oh is there any haunted places in cobh???

Aparently after half 11 on the fota road going in or out of cobh there is a woman who is hitch hiking if you ever do see her you are ment to stop if you do she will go away, however if you keep driving and look in your rear view mirror she is ment to be in your back seat looking back at you? try asking taxi drivers around cobh perhaps they could tell you the truth about this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 clodaghsmummy

Heya..

I live in Killarney and have done an investigation in the grounds around Ross Castle here and have had good results.

Muckross Abbey is the main spot to go in Killarney if you want activity. When you go to Muckross Abbey you know you will get activity. Theres so much of it down there. That would be our usual spot between our investigations we travel for.

Hope it helped :)

roche91 wrote: »
    Aparently after half 11 on the fota road going in or out of cobh there is a woman who is hitch hiking if you ever do see her you are ment to stop if you do she will go away, however if you keep driving and look in your rear view mirror she is ment to be in your back seat looking back at you? try asking taxi drivers around cobh perhaps they could tell you the truth about this??

Yeah someone already wrote about that fable in this thread if you read back a bit. Sounds like bullsh*t to me. Ha, the taxi drivers around Cobh would hardly be solid, reliable verifiers of paranormal activity. Like,it's well acknowledged that most taxi drivers stalk sh/te.

Heya..

I live in Killarney and have done an investigation in the grounds around Ross Castle here and have had good results.

Muckross Abbey is the main spot to go in Killarney if you want activity. When you go to Muckross Abbey you know you will get activity. Theres so much of it down there. That would be our usual spot between our investigations we travel for.

Hope it helped :)

Erm, the title of this thread is 'Haunted In Cork' - not 'Haunted in Kerry'

Emm....if you take time to read all the threads you will see their talking about Killarney too...

• Registered Users Posts: 49 murraymar

Yeah someone already wrote about that fable in this thread if you read back a bit. Sounds like bullsh*t to me. Ha, the taxi drivers around Cobh would hardly be solid, reliable verifiers of paranormal activity. Like,it's well acknowledged that most taxi drivers stalk sh/te.

My best friend lives in Cobh and her father God rest his soul used to swear he had seen the girl in the back seat of his car back in the early 80's. I wasn't there obviously :D but the same man wasn't a man prone to tall tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Anyone going there tonight ? Or anywhere esle ? :D

Were doing a graveyard and church :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Were doing a graveyard and church :D

Where clodaghsmummy ?

Just outside Killarney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Stargate wrote: »
    Anyone going there tonight ? Or anywhere esle ? :D

I plan on going :)

I have been really intrigued by the paranormal, especially in the last week or so (particularly after reading that ghost experience thread in this forum), and would count myself as believing in other-wordly beings.

I plan on going to St Kevins tonight with a group of friends, for the night thats in it and I have a few questions:

- I know tonight isn't an ideal night as there will be a lot of messers but what would be the best night to do a follow-up?

- What should I bring?

- Do I need a crowbar etc to get into the place? (not advocating any illegal destruction of property of course!)

- If St Kevins is not safe for tonight could anyone recommend anywhere else?

I live in Togher, and am going to be staying on Barracks Street tonight so anywhere near there would be great :)

Thanks a lot,
    Big Cheese

Emm....if you take time to read all the threads you will see their talking about Killarney too...

"All the threads" in this forum have people talking/writing about Killarney, you say? Ah..... NO THEY DO NOT.

This is a thread that has a specific vested, stated interest in the county of Cork and 99% of the posts have, surprise, surprise, been about.. you guessed it.. CORK!! :eek:

So why do the smart thing and start up a NEW THREAD dedicated to all the haunted glories of COUNTY KERRY? Last time I checked, Cork was a separate county to Kerry

- Do I need a crowbar etc to get into the place? (not advocating any illegal destruction of property of course!)

Well firstly I wouldn't agree that you go anywhere, were you need a crowbar to get in, if their locked, their locked for a reason.

Make sure you get permission for the places you go.

St Kevin's is a great spot, Iv been there. Outside it and in one of the out door buildings, but make sure you get permission before you crowbar your way in and get arrested :P

Eh mr mojo, when did I state that EVERY THREAD WAS ABOUT KERRY, I did not, I stated someone was talking about investigating Kerry, and I replied telling him/her the best places to go here, so could you please get off your high horse.

I will reply to whatever threads I like to reply to.

:p

I plan on going :)

I have been really intrigued by the paranormal, especially in the last week or so (particularly after reading that ghost experience thread in this forum), and would count myself as believing in other-wordly beings.

I plan on going to St Kevins tonight with a group of friends, for the night thats in it and I have a few questions:

- I know tonight isn't an ideal night as there will be a lot of messers but what would be the best night to do a follow-up?

- What should I bring?

I live in Togher, and am going to be staying on Barracks Street tonight so anywhere near there would be great :)

Thanks a lot,
    Big Cheese

<snip>

I will not be argueing over boards with you.

I will not be argueing over boards with you.

No worries. All u had to do to begin with was to go to/start up a RELEVANT THREAD about your haunted stuff in Kerry. A no brainer like. Other people on here seem to understand that.

Eh no, a someone wanted to know about Kerry, I told him information about Kerry.

I don't see any reason for drama.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

MrMojorisin and clodaghsmummy. This row stops NOW. Back on topic.

• Advertisement

I just read back through several pages of this thread and I didn't see any post by some fella wanting to know about hauntings in Kerry or in Ross Castle in Kerry, so I dunno what youre on about

Advertisement