Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Markcheese wrote: »
    ", but I'm very careful with the "smashing with a blade" since I broke the blade off a Global knife doing it."

Must have been a casting fault or something wrong with the knife if smashing a clove of garlic with the heel of the knife broke it...

It was with the flat of the blade, I must have been holding the handle too firmly when I thumped the blade with my other hand, and they are not very flexible knifes. It wasn't a fault in the knife, just not what those knives are made for.
    I broke the nose off my global chef's knife after dropping it on the floor once :( It made me very sad.

I'm not sure what is worse, breaking something beautiful or breaking something expensive, double bubble in this case anyway:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RoyalBaa

I have a load of cooking apples on the trees outside and have made numerous amounts of apple pies and crumbles but would like to be a bit more adventurous. Any ideas for recipes using cooking apples?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

RoyalBaa wrote: »
    I have a load of cooking apples on the trees outside and have made numerous amounts of apple pies and crumbles but would like to be a bit more adventurous. Any ideas for recipes using cooking apples?? :)

Apple chutney! Apple jelly!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm trying to set up our new kitchen here and it's really hard to know what I need to buy and what I can leave off. So I'm thinking of starting from the very beginning of the Cooking Club and just cooking my way through, buying everything as I need it. That way, I should restock all of the staples I'm likely to need, without having to wander around a supermarket in a daze not knowing what I'm looking for.

nompere wrote: »
    I did it to my Henckels knife trying to separate two frozen burgers! That was 8 or 9 years ago, and the knife is still fine apart from that. I haven't stabbed the webbing between my thumb and forefinger for ages, so there's an upside to the stupidity.

I'd nearly forgotten the Knife I broke trying to chop a frozen chicken.

My dad had a big carbon steel butchers knife that would whack through frozen joints without drama. When I moved away from home one of my first kitchen purchases was a fabulous Victorinox stainless steel butchers knife.

A while later, friends who were coming for sunday lunch cancelled, so I was stuck with a frozen chicken, I decided to defrost half and keep half frozen. Stainless steel isn't a elastic as carbon steel :o
    My housemate was hit by a flying piece of ice and when he saw the bite that the chicken had taken out of my knife was frantically checking himself for wounds.

I still have the knife 26 years later but it took a lot of bench grinding and oilstone to make it good again and it is "unique".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I glanced up the garden this evening and saw the brambles are now starting to show blackberries, have to see if I can gather enough together for a pie :)

RoyalBaa wrote: »

I like the sharper taste of cooking apples so I would use them for any recipe that called for dessert apples. Baked Apples, Apple Fritters, Apple Gratine and I saw an interesting Apple Souffle recipe recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Faith wrote: »
    I'm trying to set up our new kitchen here and it's really hard to know what I need to buy and what I can leave off. So I'm thinking of starting from the very beginning of the Cooking Club and just cooking my way through, buying everything as I need it. That way, I should restock all of the staples I'm likely to need, without having to wander around a supermarket in a daze not knowing what I'm looking for.

Maybe this thread might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I glanced up the garden this evening and saw the brambles are now starting to show blackberries, have to see if I can gather enough together for a pie :)
    Whereabouts are you? Here in Wicklow they've been ripe for weeks.

Ripe in Kerry & Dublin too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Alun wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you? Here in Wicklow they've been ripe for weeks.

Waterford city. I hadn't really been paying much attention given the weather recently.

edit - just had a close look, still going to be a couple of weeks before they are ripe - just one or two berries that are actually black

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Maybe this thread might help?

Yes, it would! Thank you, I'd totally forgotten about its existence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Waterford city. I hadn't really been paying much attention given the weather recently.

edit - just had a close look, still going to be a couple of weeks before they are ripe - just one or two berries that are actually black
    Depending on what way the bushes are facing depends on when they're going to ripen. South facing bushes seem to ripen first, then West/East.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stupid question here, when american recipes refer to using a broiler, are they talking about the grill function in an oven?

I'm looking up recipes for pho (do you pronounce the fuh?) and they talk about broiling the ginger/onion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Stheno wrote: »
    Stupid question here, when american recipes refer to using a broiler, are they talking about the grill function in an oven?

I'm looking up recipes for pho (do you pronounce the fuh?) and they talk about broiling the ginger/onion

Ya there talking about the grill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

...and no, it's essentially "Po", but blow out a bit when saying the P

Similar with Koh Phi Phi and Kho Phangan

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks, gonna give it a try this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It's funny how badly you miss your own kitchen stuff when you're staying away from home. Where I am at the moment doesn't have a single knife that isn't serrated (and also that isn't bendy, dull & cr*p), I'm a right little food princess standing in the kitchen going 'But, how will I debone these chicken thighs?' in my moaniest, most entitled voice.

I miss you nice knives, see you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's funny how badly you miss your own kitchen stuff when you're staying away from home. Where I am at the moment doesn't have a single knife that isn't serrated (and also that isn't bendy, dull & cr*p), I'm a right little food princess standing in the kitchen going 'But, how will I debone these chicken thighs?' in my moaniest, most entitled voice.

I miss you nice knives, see you soon.

If I know I'm going to be cooking somewhere, I usually bring a couple of knives and my peeler, maybe a chopping board too.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

If I know I'm going to be cooking somewhere, I usually bring a couple of knives and my peeler, maybe a chopping board too.

My mother does this.
    She brings her Magimix everywhere, as well as her knives and a whisk that she is convinced never leaves a lump in any sauce.

• Advertisement

Bought a tin of mustard powder impulsively, because I liked the tin basically, popped the lid, mustard powder all over my hosts grey carpet. Back to Tesco for Vanish it is!

Couldn't get any beef bones today (that's for tomorrow!) so had a go at a chicken Pho

The recipe involves chopping up a raw chicken into small pieces to maximise the marrow that you get out.

I had such fun whacking away with the cleaver that the chuffing chopping board split in two!

Not meaning to reply to myself, but my chicken Pho is simmering away.

For the first hour, I was straining the scum/foam off like a lunatic every 20 minutes.

Now for the past half hour, there's none.
    Do I just thank my lucky stars?

Also what do you guys use to skim the scum/foam off the top of clear broths?

A big spoon and lots of tilting to pour the liquid under the scum back into the pot.

I'd like some pho.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stheno wrote: »
    Also what do you guys use to skim the scum/foam off the top of clear broths?
    I've got my patent scum-foam-skimmer-offer-device :D Seriously though it's just like a typical stainless steel sieve, but smaller and flatter.

Almost the same as this one ...

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Skimmer-Fine-Diameter/dp/B002UG9A26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Does anyone have a good chicken stock recipe?
    I don't cook whole chickens in general but I do use a lot of chicken thighs, how many chicken thighs would I need for a recipe?
    Also, I remember someone here saying you can use tops of carrots etc, can you use peel or not?

A quick search for chicken stock brings up this thread which probably has the info you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

A quick search for chicken stock brings up this thread which probably has the info you need.
    Thanks, that'll do the job! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does anyone have a good chicken stock recipe?
    I don't cook whole chickens in general but I do use a lot of chicken thighs, how many chicken thighs would I need for a recipe?
    Also, I remember someone here saying you can use tops of carrots etc, can you use peel or not?

I use a lot of chicken thighs too. I freeze the bones until I have a decent bag full. I'll also throw any pork bones I have in there to.

• Advertisement

Hmmm my beef pho appears to be a rather peculiar green colour at the moment :(

Went to my favourite butchers today (craft butcher) to pick up a couple of leg bones. Met the owner, and had a great chat with him, I've been looking up recipes for the likes of bavette of beef/flank steak, and beef cheek.

Well he was a fount of knowledge, 1-2 days notice and he can order any of them in, and he also recommended I try flatiron steak.

He's always fierce curious if you are looking for stuff that is not run of the mill and will ask what you are using them for, we'd a great chat :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement