Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK ISPs told to block 21 pirate sites. Do you download illegally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd say a good 90% of what I watch is downloaded.

I've a 100mb UPC connection so it can literally take less time to download a movie than it would to find a DVD I bought years ago on the bookshelf beside me and I can get it in 1080p instead of DVD quality.

I pay for the top TV package in my UPC subscription so I've already "paid" something for some of what I'm downloading but tbh I can't justify it. I do it because I'm too impatient to wait for things to be available to me on TV and don't want to have to sit through / skip through the ads. If Netflix was as good for content as the torrent sites are I'd pay for a subscription but whilst the illegal option are better and free, I can't see myself signing up.

The moves that governments are making on this front show an astonishing ignorance of technology. "You can't stop the signal".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

donvito99 wrote: »
    People on the internet should expect to pay for some things.

/unpopular opinions

I pay for Dropbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I used to download everything but since the availability of Netfix the only thing I download is TV shows that I cant get on Netflix or On Demand with Sky or 4 OD or BBC player or somehwere. I also use Deezer but I'm thinking of moving over to google music because from time to time I come accross stuff that Deezer does not have.

But as someone pointed out previously I have no problem paying for the content but generally for TV shows, you dont relly have an alternative to downloading if you want to be bang up to date.

Also soundcloud is a great source of music

• Registered Users Posts: 21,937 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So it's to be done by October 30th... was it done or not?

Yes it was done :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Private torrent sites FTW! None of this public shiite :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Don't expect me to pay for songs by artists that have been dead for decades, to support their slacker decendants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I used to use rapidshare and bittorrent for everything.

Now I use spotify for music and netflix for video. I love the fact that I can create a playlist on my lunch break and stream it to my phone when I'm driving home, or watch half an episode of a show at home and finish it on my lunch break the next day.

I'll occasionally download a movie if netflix don't have it and recently downloaded music for my girlfriend's mother's mp3 player.

I still stream live matches but only every couple of months, every time I bookmark a decent streaming site they disappear before I need them again.

The UPC player means I rarely download stuff that has aired here and I just missed it.

I don't play games that much and am happy enough to pay full whack for the one or two that I buy in a year.

I'll probably still download occasionally as there will always be some movie or show that Netflix don't have and I don't think I'd want to subscribe to two different services every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'd say a good 90% of what I watch is downloaded.

I've a 100mb UPC connection so it can literally take less time to download a movie than it would to find a DVD I bought years ago on the bookshelf beside me and I can get it in 1080p instead of DVD quality.

I pay for the top TV package in my UPC subscription so I've already "paid" something for some of what I'm downloading but tbh I can't justify it. I do it because I'm too impatient to wait for things to be available to me on TV and don't want to have to sit through / skip through the ads. If Netflix was as good for content as the torrent sites are I'd pay for a subscription but whilst the illegal option are better and free, I can't see myself signing up.

The moves that governments are making on this front show an astonishing ignorance of technology. "You can't stop the signal".

Ditto on everything.

All the shows we download are shown on one channel or another at some time or another on our Max UPC pack so I feel no guilt about downloading TV shows. I've paid for them, I'm just not viewing them via the method of obtaining them that I pay for if ye get me.

With regard to movies. Sometimes I feel a little more guilt there but I just look at the €15,000 worth of Dvd's on the shelves and say to myself that Hollywood has already gotten enough from me and I'm certainly not paying for the same movie twice in HD. The movies I didn't see in the cinema I wouldn't buy the bluray of anyway so they haven't lost a sale. The movies I would buy the bluray of, I have paid to see in the cinema and thus they've already got enough new money from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lordRothery

I use newsgroups

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Ssssh ;) no one gives Wiki credence

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

peer to peer traffic in a country halves whenever netflix takes off the country restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Thanks for the list now i know where to go and DL. Not a clue before this ;)

peer to peer traffic in a country halves whenever netflix takes off the country restrictions

I dont think they do that?

Netflix is restricted to the content of the country the user is in. There are, of course, workarounds, but I havent tried them yet and we cant discuss them here

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I couldn't be bothered attempting to justify it. I download because I want to and I can and it's easy.

kupus wrote: »
    Thanks for the list now i know where to go and DL. Not a clue before this ;)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Mr.S wrote: »
    Really? Do you have a source, i'd be interested in reading!

Sandvine did a study on it. Don't remember the exact figures and I doubt they're that high, but Netflix took about two years to hit a x% of total bandwidth and p2p traffic did drop during that time. Correlation =/= causation and all that though.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I download TV shows. I prefer being able to watch in my own time without ads. I buy DVD box sets of things that I want to own though.

I wonder, in the history of copyright, has anyone ever been prosecuted for downloading a TV show. I highly doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

If I can't watch it on Irish/UK TV when it's on I'll stream it (sports)
    If I can't watch it on Irish/UK TV until several weeks after it is shown on US TV I'll download it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I stream all the time, download the odd time, have spotify and netflix, never download music anymore because of spotify. But Netflix is lacking even the US version so what isn't there is free game as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I was thinking of getting netflix but there will still be things not on there so I would have to download something at some point. If you could pay €10 per month for carte blanche unlimited downloading I would go for it.

• Advertisement

I was thinking of getting netflix but there will still be things not on there so I would have to download something at some point. If you could pay €10 per month for carte blanche unlimited downloading I would go for it.

It just so happens that carte blanche Netflix would cost around 2 euros more than that. 7 for Netflix and 5 to a website that makes your ISP go to America.

I havent tried it yet and of course we cant give out links here but there's plenty of info online, on YouTube especially

Movie industry in the UK is having a ball as far as blocking of sites allegedly involved in piracy is concerned as courts have asked UK ISPs to enforce a blockade on Project Free TV, YIFY, PrimeWire and others in its latest order.

ISPs in the UK have given up on the idea of standing up against the blockade and copyright right holders have made it their point to expand the blocklist as much as possible. About two weeks back, a court ordered blockade of SolarMovie and TubePlus, which will be enforced sometime next month.

This week the High Court has asked all major ISPs including BT, EE, O2, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin Media to block access to YIFY-Torrents, PrimeWire, Project Free TV, Vodly, and WatchFreeMovies. It seems that Sky has already implemented the blockade on YIFY-Torrents as our sources have revealed that Sky is displaying an “Access Blocked” message while visiting the site.

Getting a torrent or steaming site blocked in the UK is a mere paperwork formality since ISPs have completely stopped defending against these orders. As it stands a total of 33 sites have been blocked in the UK including The Pirate Bay, BitSnoop, ExtraTorrent, Torrentz, 1337x, Fenopy, H33T, KickAssTorrents, among others.

http://www.techienews.co.uk/973203/project-free-tv-yify-primewire-blocked-uk/

Lets hope this never happens over here. At this stage Im using Primewire more than Netflix. Its excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

This 3d printing stuff is gonna be great, we will all be able to download cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I use MP3panda (think it's Russian) I registered roughly 4 or 5 years ago and have downloaded roughly 100gb of music from it BUT I paid $120 about 2 years ago and got unlimited downloads for life as part of an offer they had at the time so while it's free for me, you do have to pay for the music. An album is roughly $1.50-$2.00US which is very reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I buy blu rays and I buy music. The quality of the movies just can't be replicated in a download. It's not even close. Plus I like physical discs.

I don't for music though, I just buy it off iTunes. I love music hugely and I support the artists I enjoy.

Plus I have some mild OCD in that I just can't stick my music album not having artwork!

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    The quality of the movies just can't be replicated in a download. It's not even close.

You're doing it wrong.

srsly78 wrote: »
    You're doing it wrong.

Yeah because a 5GB download is the same as a 50GB blu ray. If that was the case blu rays would never been invented as a 7GB DVD would be sufficient.

Downloads can't beat out blu rays when it comes to sound and image quality. That's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks OP. Handy to have a list of sites that are good enough to warrant blocking.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Yeah because a 5GB download is the same as a 50GB blu ray. If that was the case blu rays would never been invented as a 7GB DVD would be sufficient.

Downloads can't beat out blu rays when it comes to sound and image quality. That's a fact.

You can download blueray quality stuff. All the ones and zeroes are exactly the same as what's on your disc.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    You can download blueray quality stuff. All the ones and zeroes are exactly the same as what's on your disc.

Nope. High compression degrades the quality a lot

Advertisement