Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

profitius wrote: »
    Stormers flanker. Signed for Ulster according to SA media. It said he signed earlier this month but I didn't see it anywhere.

http://www.sportlive.co.za/rugby/europeanclubs/2012/06/27/irish-poach-sa-rugby-talent

"And earlier this month Stormers flank Nick Fenton-Wells confirmed a move to Ulster."

Singed for Saracens no?
    http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/12572/7800413/Sarries-sign-Fenton-Wells

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Hagz wrote: »

Maybe the site got mixed up. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

profitius wrote: »
    Maybe the site got mixed up. :confused:

yeah he's already signed for Saracans...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

There are no more signings this season. Squad finalised.
    3 non rugby events to be held at ravers, still searching for name options, MA doesn't care about anything but winning, and RP won't be available till the game before our first Euro game.
    Season Ticket sales up 20%
    Sponsorship up 65% on last year. Not quite but near the same levels with Munster and Leinster in shirt sponsor.

Ticket sales 5+m last year.

""the aim is the have the stadium completed for a home quarter-final in 2014."

At underage representative level, this season, Ulster had only won "three out of fifteen interprovincial matches. McLaughlin hopefully will help turn this debacle around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So Jaco says the squad is finalised, it looks a bit like this then...

PROPS
    Tom Court
    Paddy McAlistair
    Callum Black
    John Afoa
    Declan Fitzpatrick
    Adam Macklin

HOOKERS
    Rory Best
    Nigel Brady
    Niall Annett
    Robert Herring

LOCKS
    Johann Muller
    Lewis Stevenson
    Dan Tuohy
    Neil McComb
    Iain Henderson
    *has Tim Barker left??

BACK ROW
    Stephen Ferris
    Chris Henry
    Nick Williams
    Robbie Diack
    Roger Wilson
    Mike McComish
    Ali Birch
    Sean Doyle
    *Henderson will probably feature a bit in the back row

SCRUM HALFS
    Ruan Pienaar
    Paul Marshall
    Blane McIlroy
    Michael Heaney

OUT HALFS
    Paddy Jackson
    Niall O'Connor
    Stuart Olding
    *Pienaar and Wallace can play 10 as well

CENTRES
    Paddy Wallace
    Nevin Spence
    Luke Marshall
    Darren Cave
    Chris Farrell
    Michael Allen
    *I think we may see Bowe play a bit in the midfield and Payne can cover as well

BACK THREE
    Tommy Bowe
    Andrew Trimble
    Craig Gilroy
    Adam D'Arcy
    Jared Payne
    Chris Cochrane
    Peter Nelson

That's a decent squad, we're much stronger in the back row as far as depth goes and for this reason I expect a better league campaign especially if Diack has got his mojo back which seemed to be the case at the end of last season. There's a good mix of experienced Irish players, top class NIQs and some exciting young players. I'm fascinated to see Doyle and Herring in action and we'll see how Williams gets on. Of course the elephant in the room is obvious and we can only hope Jackson performs, if he does we could have a very good season.

As far as the 1st choice XV is concerned...well with a new coach you never really know but the front row really should pick itself, Muller and Tuohy should be the second row but I'd hope Henderson and Stevenson put the pressure on here as it's probably Muller's last season. Ferris and Henry are more or less nailed on at 6 and 7, Wilson v Williams at No.8 will be interesting. Pienaar has the 9 shirt, I assume Jackson will start the season at 10, Wallace and Cave remain the standout midfield pairing but I hope we see Marshall, Farrell, Spence and maybe even Bowe get a few runs at 12 as paddy isn't getting any younger. Finally in the back three it's three from four, Bowe, Trimble and Payne are favourites for those shirts but on the basis of the end of last season there is very little to choose between Trimble and Gilroy, in fact the cynic in me thinks that Gilroy's main obstacle to the starting team will be Trimble's central contract rather than the man himself! And I say that as a big fan of Trimble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

As I said elsewhere I would like to see Marshall given a run at 12, but also Gilroy ahead of Trimble for some of the big games. I think he was playing better than Trimble at the end of last season, but he's also obviously someone for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tim Barker has retired, think he's a chartered accountant.

bilston wrote: »
    So Jaco says the squad is finalised, it looks a bit like this then...

PROPS
    Tom Court
    Paddy McAlistair
    Callum Black
    John Afoa
    Declan Fitzpatrick
    Adam Macklin

HOOKERS
    Rory Best
    Nigel Brady
    Niall Annett
    Robert Herring

LOCKS
    Johann Muller
    Lewis Stevenson
    Dan Tuohy
    Neil McComb
    Iain Henderson
    *has Tim Barker left??

BACK ROW
    Stephen Ferris
    Chris Henry
    Nick Williams
    Robbie Diack
    Roger Wilson
    Mike McComish
    Ali Birch
    Sean Doyle
    *Henderson will probably feature a bit in the back row

SCRUM HALFS
    Ruan Pienaar
    Paul Marshall
    Blane McIlroy
    Michael Heaney

OUT HALFS
    Paddy Jackson
    Niall O'Connor
    Stuart Olding
    *Pienaar and Wallace can play 10 as well

CENTRES
    Paddy Wallace
    Nevin Spence
    Luke Marshall
    Darren Cave
    Chris Farrell
    Michael Allen
    *I think we may see Bowe play a bit in the midfield and Payne can cover as well

BACK THREE
    Tommy Bowe
    Andrew Trimble
    Craig Gilroy
    Adam D'Arcy
    Jared Payne
    Chris Cochrane
    Peter Nelson

That's a decent squad, we're much stronger in the back row as far as depth goes and for this reason I expect a better league campaign especially if Diack has got his mojo back which seemed to be the case at the end of last season. There's a good mix of experienced Irish players, top class NIQs and some exciting young players. I'm fascinated to see Doyle and Herring in action and we'll see how Williams gets on. Of course the elephant in the room is obvious and we can only hope Jackson performs, if he does we could have a very good season.

As far as the 1st choice XV is concerned...well with a new coach you never really know but the front row really should pick itself, Muller and Tuohy should be the second row but I'd hope Henderson and Stevenson put the pressure on here as it's probably Muller's last season. Ferris and Henry are more or less nailed on at 6 and 7, Wilson v Williams at No.8 will be interesting. Pienaar has the 9 shirt, I assume Jackson will start the season at 10, Wallace and Cave remain the standout midfield pairing but I hope we see Marshall, Farrell, Spence and maybe even Bowe get a few runs at 12 as paddy isn't getting any younger. Finally in the back three it's three from four, Bowe, Trimble and Payne are favourites for those shirts but on the basis of the end of last season there is very little to choose between Trimble and Gilroy, in fact the cynic in me thinks that Gilroy's main obstacle to the starting team will be Trimble's central contract rather than the man himself! And I say that as a big fan of Trimble.

He has gone to a 'junior'club as player coach. Rainey Old boys a.f.a.i.k.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

jacothelad wrote: »
    He has gone to a 'junior'club as player coach. Rainey Old boys a.f.a.i.k.

Is he from that part of the world? I know he used to play for Dungannon.

BTW are Rainey not a "senior" club?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

bilston wrote: »
    Is he from that part of the world? I know he used to play for Dungannon.

BTW are Rainey not a "senior" club?...
    Rainey are senior. div 2B
    there is a piece on the rainey website here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

hahaha what a fall from grace

Meet Ulster Rugby’s Mark Anscombe

On Thursday evening, Ulster Rugby season ticket holders were invited to a special Q&A event at the stadium, were they were given the opportunity to grill new head coach Mark Anscombe , Director of Rugby David Humphreys and CEO Shane Logan on a range of issues.

Good report here.

http://www.ruggerhuggerireland.co.uk/?p=1944

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

"With regards to any injury concerns, Paul Marshall underwent an operation on his elbow on Wednesday and is expected to be back for Ulster’s final pre-season friendly against Newcastle Falcons, while Tommy Bowe is fit after his last injury and due to start training on 9th July.

Jared Payne is also now fully fit, and could have played at the time of the Heineken Cup Final. Humphreys added that the fullback was much fitter physically than when he first arrived in the province, firmly believing Payne would be “the star for us [Ulster] this year”, with the management hugely excited to see him playing once again."

Interesting updates from that Rugger Hugger link.

I can't remember but did Marshall have surgery or just physio on his elbow towards the end of last season?

Also it looks like some of the Irish touring squad to NZ will be available for the start of next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Jared Payne is also now fully fit, and could have played at the time of the Heineken Cup Final. Humphreys added that the fullback was much fitter physically than when he first arrived in the province, firmly believing Payne would be “the star for us [Ulster] this year”, with the management hugely excited to see him playing once again."
    I agree with this, Payne is someone who I really rate and think he could make a massive contribution to the team.

I know Terblanche didn't do badly this season :D but Payne is even better

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Besides Bowes return, Payne is what im most excited for.

damianmcr wrote: »
    Besides Bowes return, Payne is what im most excited for.
    Payne Bowe and Trimble is a world class back three. I can't think of many club teams that have a better back three

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Payne Bowe and Trimble is a world class back three. I can't think of many club teams that have a better back three

Would you drop Craig Gilroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

I think Gilroy is pushing Trimble hard for a starting spot to be honest.

Gilroy, Bowe and Trimble have all played both sides of the pitch too.

Would you drop Craig Gilroy?
    he is probably the most likely to lose out in the short term but he will get plenty of gametime next season and be fighting it out for a starting spot with Trimble.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Trimble or Gilroy will see plenty of game time next season. Bowe and Trimble will be gone on international duty for long periods.

I agree though that Gilroy could well push Trimble. Perhaps the option of having Gilroy at 15 will be explored as well, Anscombe might want to evaluate all the avenues open to him and he would have seen Gilroy playing 15 before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

Apparently after the HC final Jackson was devastated in the changing rooms head in hands and Sexton walked in and sat beside him and was just saying how he will be the next ireland number 10 and to forget today and just giving advice and consoling him....only in rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭jm08

leonard7 wrote: »
    Apparently after the HC final Jackson was devastated in the changing rooms head in hands and Sexton walked in and sat beside him and was just saying how he will be the next ireland number 10 and to forget today and just giving advice and consoling him....only in rugby

Was Ian Madigan in earshot? ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Conor Gaston has moved to London Irish Academy.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7859011,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Conor Gaston has moved to London Irish Academy.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7859011,00.html

Two steps backwards !!

Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy, Payne, D'arcy would be ahead of him all who will be around for a few years.

It mightn't be that bad a move to be honest.

Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy, Payne, D'arcy would be ahead of him all who will be around for a few years.

It mightn't be that bad a move to be honest.

There are others also who would be better than Gaston. Spence will spend time on the wing for starters. Cochrane - if he's still around and Peter Nelson also would be ahead of Gaston.

niall_oconnor_2010_2011.jpgniallOconnor-241207.jpg09122501.jpg0002f036-642.jpg

Niall-O-Connor-in-for-Ulster_2410209.jpg

tumblr_ll5jn85O1N1qzocfz.gif

niall_oconnor_2010_2011.jpgniallOconnor-241207.jpg09122501.jpg0002f036-642.jpg

Niall-O-Connor-in-for-Ulster_2410209.jpg

tumblr_ll5jn85O1N1qzocfz.gif

Thomond 2006 = Total Far Car. :D

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/rugby/ulster_first_team.php?player=104791&includeref=dynamic

Anyone know much about Ricky Lutton? He's a 26 year old prop and has got a development contract starting next season.

• Advertisement

I did some research regarding his time in NZ

Canterbury rugby union divides into three sub unions for competition below NPC level

He was the starting TH for the Canterbury Metropolitan sub unions representative side in 2011.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement