Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-03-2012, 00:45   #16
GarIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthlyPangaea View Post
No. A 2GHz dual-core CPU is not marketed as a 4GHz CPU....despite what you'll see on eBay and the likes.
I every even thought of that example, I was just thinking circuits from LC physics.
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 13:55   #17
yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthlyPangaea View Post
No. A 2GHz dual-core CPU is not marketed as a 4GHz CPU....despite what you'll see on eBay and the likes.
Do people really market CPUs like that on ebay . Looks like I have a 9.4Ghz CPU so .

Nick
31-03-2012, 13:58   #18
PseudoFamous

Send a message via Skype™ to PseudoFamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Do people really market CPUs like that on ebay . Looks like I have a 9.4Ghz CPU so .

Nick
Sit the hell down, my 2500K is running at 17.2gHz >_>
31-03-2012, 14:00   #19
Torqay
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post

Nick
Looks like that's not enough to calculate the speed properly... 4 x 2.4 = 9.6
Thanks from:
31-03-2012, 14:01   #20
yoyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqay View Post
Looks like that's not enough to calculate the speed properly... 4 x 2.4 = 9.6
Small typo I swear

Nick
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 20:17   #21
theTinker
Closed Account

OP here.

As i continue to read about this stuff today. It seems that processors have obviously become alot more efficent and performance outputting. However, It seems software has expanded hugely to use the resources.

It also seems the last couple of years. Hardware has grown alot faster than software needs. So overall, things are faster, but just not by a huge amount that you'd notice.
Most applications fail to use multi processors effectively so the hardware resources are left to waste.

With the advent of Ivy bridge. It seems a big reduction in power consumption, which i believe will reduce heat output.
Q: Will this reduction in heat output on ivy bridge allow processors to once again start increasing thier speed in a way similar to before?

I think we're still a 4-5 years off the types of speeds I was hoping for.
(weblogic in a couple of seconds, a full build of a project in 20-30 seconds).

It also seems that my might i7 920 2.7ghz, is already fairly outdated. Althought not much ghz is labeled on other new models, it seems the new models already output better performance.
So perhaps its time for a upgrade again

For a build machine though, Im thinking faster quad core > slower 6 core unless software gets alot more multithreaded capable fast.
31-03-2012, 20:23   #22
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Send a message via Skype™ to Karsini
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTinker View Post
OP here.

As i continue to read about this stuff today. It seems that processors have obviously become alot more efficent and performance outputting. However, It seems software has expanded hugely to use the resources.

It also seems the last couple of years. Hardware has grown alot faster than software needs. So overall, things are faster, but just not by a huge amount that you'd notice.
This has always been the case. Windows XP would run like a rocket on current hardware, just as Windows 95 would if you put it on a Pentium III.

Quote:
For a build machine though, Im thinking faster quad core > slower 6 core unless software gets alot more multithreaded capable fast.
This can be true. The performance differential between the Core i5 2500k and i7 2600k can be insignificant in some applications.
31-03-2012, 21:13   #23
PseudoFamous

Send a message via Skype™ to PseudoFamous
Quote:
Q: Will this reduction in heat output on ivy bridge allow processors to once again start increasing thier speed in a way similar to before?
What do you mean? My 2500K is running at 4.3GHz at the minute, and I haven't even bothered pushing it to the limit yet. There's also at least one person running the same chip on 5GHz on the PC Building & Upgrading forum, without major overvolting, IIRC. Is that not high enough yet?
31-03-2012, 21:29   #24
theTinker
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFamous View Post
What do you mean? My 2500K is running at 4.3GHz at the minute, and I haven't even bothered pushing it to the limit yet. There's also at least one person running the same chip on 5GHz on the PC Building & Upgrading forum, without major overvolting, IIRC. Is that not high enough yet?
I wasnt looking into overclocking. Its for new PCs in work that im thinking of, and we dont OC in work due. Everything usually has to be stock stuff and stable to the nth degree.

I was looking at the 3930k processor. Hopefully it comes down in price a little but it seems easily able to OC to 4.3ghz without any issues. Thats 6 cores of that.
Perhaps that processor will offer the speed im looking for.

my 2.7ghx i7 920 seems like a childs toy in comparison to it.

Cheers for all the info guys. Been a good saturday brush up on the new tech out.
Advertisement
01-04-2012, 09:39   #25
Tea_Bag

why go splashing out on a very expensive six core when your code is being compiled on a single thread?

fwiw, If you want to send me some code that you've timed on your rig for how long it takes to compile, ill run it from an SSD on an i5 2500K @5Ghz and you can compare times to weigh up the pros and cons of an upgrade.
01-04-2012, 21:47   #26
theTinker
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea_Bag View Post
why go splashing out on a very expensive six core when your code is being compiled on a single thread?

fwiw, If you want to send me some code that you've timed on your rig for how long it takes to compile, ill run it from an SSD on an i5 2500K @5Ghz and you can compare times to weigh up the pros and cons of an upgrade.
I couldnt imagine a quicker way for me to lose my job
But thank you for the good intentioned offer!

Im going to do some search now for information on compiling code in multiple threads. Im not sure if it can be done, but perhaps the javac can be tamed in some way!
01-04-2012, 23:56   #27
Tea_Bag

ah well if you'd prefer some open source material, I'd be indifferent to what I'm actually compiling

if you find a good way to thread javac keep us updated.
02-04-2012, 01:21   #28
GreenWolfe

Quote:
I couldnt imagine a quicker way for me to lose my job
But thank you for the good intentioned offer!

Im going to do some search now for information on compiling code in multiple threads. Im not sure if it can be done, but perhaps the javac can be tamed in some way!
I think the Java compiler in Eclipse is multithreaded, according to this anyways.

Try your current setup and time a specific projects time to compile. Get Eclipse, import that project into it and see if there's a difference.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion