Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Underground comics

• 21-02-2011 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

It would be great if anyone could recommend me some indie or underground comics.

I've read Blankets by Craig Thompson which I really enjoyed. And I just bought Fun house by Alison Bechdel which in fact is a graphic memoir, but such recommendation would be great as well.

Look forward to hearing from some of you guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I wouldn't class either Blankets [which is also a memoir story :confused:] or Fun Home as indie or underground given they are published by pretty decent sized publishers but if by indie/underground you mean something that is [a] not about superheros and/or not published by either DC or Marvel then there's a pretty heffty list of stuff out there.

Maus
    Love and Rockets
    Any of the Flight anthologies
    Anything by Daniel Clowes [would rec Ghost World to start]
    Anything by Joe Staco [would rec Footnotes in Gazza]
    Charles Burns Black Hole
    Gary Panter Jimbo in purgatory
    Flood by Eric Drooker
    Smile by Raina Telgemeier
    The Blot by Tom Neely
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli
    Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small
    The Metamorphosis by Peter Kuper
    war in the neighborhood by Seth Tobocman
    Epileptic by David B.
    American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
    Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan
    Lost At Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malle or something by his lovely wife Hope Larson [Mercury or Grey Horses]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zolw

ztoical:

Thank you very much for the recommendations, I looked a few up and will see if I can find them in the shop.

Regarding Blankets, that is correct, I meant that the style reminded me of an indie as I got the sense of the 70's while reading it :) but yes it is more of an Graphic Memoir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 loverofcomics

hey can you suggest some comic book stores. I´m new to Dublin and I´ve just joined this site, my flatmate suggested it

I was at this market in a place called grand social last saturday amd there was this 1 comic stall, I think he said he´d be there every sat. anyhow, his prices were so cheap I got a load of early 2000AD´s for 3 euro each and a load of Alan Moore Swamp Thing´s for 50c each!!!

Anyhow, really need to know if there´re other places like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 mackerel

Bone
    Ghost World
    American Splendor
    Space Avalanche

Advertisement