Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

restaurant in Galway

• 22-08-2004 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

My parents are visiting me from Canada next month and we're going to the Oyster Fest in Galway. My dad's 60th birthday falls on that weekend, so I was thinking of taking my parents out to dinner.

I think one of the worst meals I ever had in Ireland was in a restaurant in Galway so this time I thought I would seek out some recommendations.

So, does anyone have any recommends for me? My parents are pretty easygoing so nothing really expensive, pretentious or fancy as they do prefer good atmosphere over fine dining. However, I do want it to be good food, preferably seafood as that's his favourite.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

McNamara's between Eyre Square and Shop St. does good food, nothing fancy or "posh", but good and tasty.

McDonagh's is probably the best place to get seafood in the city.

The Galleon in Salthill is well worth a looksee too. I've loved eating there since I was a wee bairn.

If you're planning on oysters you should get a pint of Guinness in each place to find where the best is. :)

Oh, and if you don't mind the drive, there's a place by the beach in Furbo (on the way to Spiddal) called Padraicín's that does some great food...

They're all nice places, not too noisy, friendly staff, and McDonagh's in particular has a load of crap on the wall for ambiance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Sarky wrote:
    McNamara's between Eyre Square and Shop St. does good food, nothing fancy or "posh", but good and tasty.

McDonagh's is probably the best place to get seafood in the city.

The Galleon in Salthill is well worth a looksee too. I've loved eating there since I was a wee bairn.

If you're planning on oysters you should get a pint of Guinness in each place to find where the best is. :)

Oh, and if you don't mind the drive, there's a place by the beach in Furbo (on the way to Spiddal) called Padraicín's that does some great food...

They're all nice places, not too noisy, friendly staff, and McDonagh's in particular has a load of crap on the wall for ambiance.

If you head out towards Barna there is a resteraunt accross from the 12 pins (Pub not the mountains). It's supposed to be excellent for seafood. For birthdays and such I quiet like the old school house in Oranmore. My GF tells me Oscars is nice too but I don't think seafood is a speciality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

gibbie wrote:
    I think one of the worst meals I ever had in Ireland was in a restaurant in Galway

So go on.... where was it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

daveg wrote:
    If you head out towards Barna there is a resteraunt accross from the 12 pins (Pub not the mountains). It's supposed to be excellent for seafood. For birthdays and such I quiet like the old school house in Oranmore. My GF tells me Oscars is nice too but I don't think seafood is a speciality.
    O'Gradys on the Pier in Barna has some excellent seafood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

The Domnick St Kebab House!, Nothing say's I love you daddy by presenting him with enough meat to kill a squeeblboot and then going to the lap dancing club next door for refreshments.

On a more sane note, I would have to recommend mc donaghs in regards seafood in the city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement