Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decent capper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Can you use it without bolting to a bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Yes, no need to bolt to a bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

ian_m wrote: »
    Can you use it without bolting to a bench?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I can recommend the linked one above. I snapped a plastic 2 handled one first use. I bought the attached one and it is very controlled and gives a very satisfying feel when you're capping.
    Good price too

And I used it without it being bolted to a bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I've just ordered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jonziepoo

I've just ordered one.
    Can I ask if you liked it in the end? It was not working with the bottles I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

jonziepoo wrote: »
    Can I ask if you liked it in the end? It was not working with the bottles I had.

It's great yeah. It took me a few bottles to get the hang of using it.

It requires a fairly firm press down on the handle and then while holding it in place you twist the bottle anticlockwise to release the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

If i bought the above capper can i just buy a pack of http://www.homebrewwest.ie/crown-caps-yellow-100s-112-p.asp
    And use them on any glass beer bottles as i am using the pet bottles at the moment and was thinking of going glass.

I Bought it not long ago and in was on offer with 2 bags of caps for free at home brew west. You can use it on most bottles but not all. It turned out most of my bottles were the wrong size :(
    Personally even with the right bottles I didn't find it very good, if I were to go back I'd rather invest in a good hand capper.
    So now it's sitting there not used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I Bought it not long ago and in was on offer with 2 bags of caps for free at home brew west. You can use it on most bottles but not all. It turned out most of my bottles were the wrong size :(
    Personally even with the right bottles I didn't find it very good, if I were to go back I'd rather invest in a good hand capper.

Any advice on good hand cappers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's fine for me tbh, no issue at all. It came with a free adapter so you can use it on 26mm or 29mm although haven't found any need for an adapter yet.

RasTa wrote: »
    It's fine for me tbh, no issue at all. It came with a free adapter so you can use it on 26mm or 29mm although haven't found any need for an adapter yet.

This would be my experience also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

groom wrote: »
    This would be my experience also.

Are you guys using begged, borrowed, re-used or bought bottles?

Just looking for a steer on the route to go without wasting (famous last words :mad:) too much cash.

I just hate buying stuff and ending up with Jonzie's experience.

Are you guys using begged, borrowed, re-used or bought bottles?

Just looking for a steer on the route to go without wasting (famous last words :mad:) too much cash.

I just hate buying stuff and ending up with Jonzie's experience.

Re-used bottles, generally tyskie or lomza's. I think I'm on my 3rd cycle with the same bottles now.

If you can't recycle enough bottles then you aren't drinking enough

I use recycled bottles too, didn't work on the spaten beer bottles. Apart from that, I just found it a bit cumbersome and awkward to use, you have to giggle the bottle to release it from the capper. Time consuming.

I use recycled bottles too, didn't work on the spaten beer bottles. Apart from that, I just found it a bit cumbersome and awkward to use, you have to giggle the bottle to release it from the capper. Time consuming.

You just pull it off once it's capped.

I would look for something in metal, that you can adjust at any height, as opposed to the plastic one from home brew west, that has a series of fixed positions for different heights. Inevitably there are going to be bottles you can't cap.
    They are very difficult to find here in Ireland, I have not managed to far, see an example here: but you'll find some on ebay co uk (agata bench capper metal).

You just pull it off once it's capped.
    I know, that's the time consuming part, plus having to adjust the height every time you change bottle type. With a hand capper I find it quicker (of course this is my personal take).

• Advertisement

I would look for something in metal, that you can adjust at any height, as opposed to the plastic one from home brew west

The capper we are discussing is 90% metal. Are you referring to a different one?

counter-top-capper-x28-yellow-blue-green-red-x29--3739-p.jpg

I did a search on ebay and found this
    $(KGrHqYOKo8E4iY7HLkvBOLZ96pDsw~~0_35.JPG

So it would seem the Homebrewwest one is an Agata one or at least the same design

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I know, that's the time consuming part, plus having to adjust the height every time you change bottle type. With a hand capper I find it quicker (of course this is my personal take).

Bottling is a pain in the arse, only way around these headaches is to move to kegging.

The capper we are discussing is 90% metal. Are you referring to a different one?

So it would seem the Homebrewwest one is an Agata one or at least the same design
    That's the one that didn't make me too happy and yes seems to be an Agata too, what I had seen was this:
    ebay. co. uk /itm/AGATA-BENCH-BOTTLE-CAPPER-ALL-METAL-CONSTRUCTION-FOR-HOME-BREWERS-/131282861125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e91117c45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

That's the one that didn't make me too happy and yes seems to be an Agata too, what I had seen was this:
    ebay. co. uk /itm/AGATA-BENCH-BOTTLE-CAPPER-ALL-METAL-CONSTRUCTION-FOR-HOME-BREWERS-/131282861125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e91117c45

The link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AGATA-BENCH-BOTTLE-CAPPER-ALL-METAL-CONSTRUCTION-FOR-HOME-BREWERS-/131282861125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e91117c45

Jonzie, have you got one of these? Is it different to the HBW model?

Hi, yes it is different in the fact that the "lever part" can be adjusted at any height with a screw, while with the one by HomeBrewWest you are stuck with a series of pre-drilled holes/positions on the vertical bar, this means that you won't be able to use it on bottles whose height falls between two positions/holes, while with the one I posted there are infinite possible positions. It is also different because it is all metal construction.
    I don't have one, it's the old agata model, I don't think you can find it new online but there are other ones with the same system for height regulation but with plastic parts, still better than the HBW one: ebay. co. uk/itm/BENCH-COUNTER-TOP-BEER-BOTTLE-CAPPER-/161346784767?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item2591048dff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Hi, yes it is different in the fact that the "lever part" can be adjusted at any height with a screw, while with the one by HomeBrewWest you are stuck with a series of pre-drilled holes/positions on the vertical bar, this means that you won't be able to use it on bottles whose height falls between two positions/holes, while with the one I posted there are infinite possible positions. It is also different because it is all metal construction.
    I don't have one, it's the old agata model, I don't think you can find it new online but there are other ones with the same system for height regulation but with plastic parts, still better than the HBW one: ebay. co. uk/itm/BENCH-COUNTER-TOP-BEER-BOTTLE-CAPPER-/161346784767?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item2591048dff

I'm pretty new to this, but I would have imagined that this is a minor enough issue that could be overcome with a couple of thin/varying thickness books or magazines/similar, is it not? They don't compress that much, and unless the holes are miles apart something could surely be improvised....

I would imagine the "digital" way of setting it is more solid/secure and less prone to sliding/wear in the long run.

cython wrote: »
    I would imagine the "digital" way of setting it is more solid/secure and less prone to sliding/wear in the long run.

Exactly what I thought. I could imagine a free mechanism being liable to slip or become loose.

In addition with the one with defined holes there a certain amount of overlap with each setting so I wouldn't think there is any bottle size that falls between settings.

Also when I'm bottling a batch I usually use 3 different bottle sizes in a 30 bottle batch. That means I have to change the height setting twice. That takes about 3 seconds each time.

cython wrote: »
    I'm pretty new to this, but I would have imagined that this is a minor enough issue that could be overcome with a couple of thin/varying thickness books or magazines/similar, is it not? They don't compress that much, and unless the holes are miles apart something could surely be improvised....

That's a simple and effective idea :) but if you are just about to buy one, you might just buy the one were you don't have find the right book for the right thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Exactly what I thought. I could imagine a free mechanism being liable to slip or become loose.

In addition with the one with defined holes there a certain amount of overlap with each setting so I wouldn't think there is any bottle size that falls between settings.

Also when I'm bottling a batch I usually use 3 different bottle sizes in a 30 bottle batch. That means I have to change the height setting twice. That takes about 3 seconds each time.

See I had hoped that any designer for something like this would have the cop on to do that too, but as I said, new to this lark, and have never looked into any of these cappers, so didn't know well enough to say with certainty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement