Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will points go up,down or remain the same for 2013?

Options
  • 05-11-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody knows (or thinks they know) what the points may be like for 2013 CAO? I've always wanted to do vet nursing but the points rocketed from 430 to 470 this year in UCD.

I do OL Maths + Irish so these hold me back quite a lot and I only have potential to get an A1 in one HL subject and then possibly a few good B's and one C. It doesn't sound too bad but to be honest I am not exactly the brightest out of the lot so it's very unrealistic for me to get anywhere near 470. Does anybody know or have heard what may happen to the points this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I was just wondering if anybody knows (or thinks they know) what the points may be like for 2013 CAO? I've always wanted to do vet nursing but the points rocketed from 430 to 470 this year in UCD.

I do OL Maths + Irish so these hold me back quite a lot and I only have potential to get an A1 in one HL subject and then possibly a few good B's and one C. It doesn't sound too bad but to be honest I am not exactly the brightest out of the lot so it's very unrealistic for me to get anywhere near 470. Does anybody know or have heard what may happen to the points this year?

I hope they start to go down at the very least,for people like me who won't touch the 500s it's kinda depressing.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I hope they start to go down at the very least,for people like me who won't touch the 500s it's kinda depressing.
    :(

I have a friend who works in science and there's constantly complaining about the lack of people to fill the jobs, I WONDER WHY! I will be completely devastated if they don't go down for a more realistic level.

I have a friend who works in science and there's constantly complaining about the lack of people to fill the jobs, I WONDER WHY! I will be completely devastated if they don't go down for a more realistic level.

Points for courses has to do with popularity,so for those like me,wanting to do Common entry science,we're sorta screwed unless we can bag a few As :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Every course takes in a certain number of people every year, if the points go up it doesn't mean they'll end up with less people in the course, it just means the people who applied for it had higher points.

The points for the CAO courses are based on supply and demand - if science has 100 places and the 100th person (in order of points) is on 500 that is what the cut off will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

This year all points will increase by 27.3% rounded up to the nearest 5 points. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

DylanII wrote: »
    This year all points will increase by 27.3% rounded up to the nearest 5 points.

:eek:
    F###.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

This year all points will increase by 27.3% rounded up to the nearest 5 points.

I hope that this is some seriously incorrect rumour you picked up somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

This year all points will increase by 27.3% rounded up to the nearest 5 points. :rolleyes:

And how do you come up with that answer????

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

He's implying you can't know for sure.

I honestly wouldn't know what to tell someone about next year...my course, for example, is languages and it went up by 30 points in UCD while mainstream arts fell 5 points - not sure how that could work since a minority of us did HL maths if languages are what we like. Out of the 11K who sat HL maths, 3K got a benefit from it - and I'd say a tiny amount of those got the full 25, so it's really weird how everything went up so much! Definitely not due to the bonus points, it seems people are just realizing how important college is and working harder maybe, so I wouldn't write off another increase just because the maths points have had their first run.

I'd say to expect an increase, maybe, but nothing as drastic or as widespread as this year. But at the end of the day you can't know for sure, so just do your best!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

:eek:
    F###.
    I hope that this is some seriously incorrect rumour you picked up somewhere!
    kingcobra wrote: »
    And how do you come up with that answer????
    Oh, jeez, folks!! >.<

Go spend an hour (ONE hour) reading your CAO handbook and figuring out how the process actually works!

No-one can make any valid predictions on points at this stage, it depends on a whole load of variables like how many people apply for science, in which college, how well those people do in their LC, whether the number of places available goes up or down, etc. etc.

As QoL said, it's supply and demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 BroBeans353

A good technique is activly discourage people from doing he course you want to do so that the points will be lower, Try spreading rumours about the course and make up out outrageous allegations about the Students, Lecturers and Tutors. Worked for a guy i know, he managed to get Enginering in UCC from 500points to 200, Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

A good technique is activly discourage people from doing he course you want to do so that the points will be lower, Try spreading rumours about the course and make up out outrageous allegations about the Students, Lecturers and Tutors. Worked for a guy i know, he managed to get Enginering in UCC from 500points to 200, Good luck :)

I thought of that when I was applying for college. I did discourage a few people from the course, but then I realised if the course was thought of as useless then I would have a hard time getting a job. :)

*sigh*

Do please stop talking rubbish! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

While obviously nobody can really say for definite, I don't see any massive jump in points this year, extra points for HL maths made it's impact last year, points this year will largely be in line with last year I'm willing to bet. They might increase by maybe 10 points or so in the "à la mode" courses like Science, the healthcares etc. However realistically I don't see any dramatic rises or falls in courses in general, while there might be the odd exception (like Architecture, though I'm not sure how much further that can fall!)

Having said all that this is all pure speculation and we won't know for definite waaayyy out in next August!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No one can predict how high or low the points will be for any year. There aren't any trends to follow and in any case, it's simply impossible considering how the CAO works.

If a course takes 50 people, then the 50th person's points are the "CAO points" for that course. Universities don't just pluck a number from thin air. In fact, they have no control over the points.

The only way to predict the points for a course is to survey everyone applying for the course after they get their results. That's the only way of making a prediction that isn't completely baseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrySeoighe

I'm hoping on doing Culinary Arts in DIT. The points for 2012 are 370 .They fell by 15 points from 2011. Does anyone have any idea if it will continue to drop or will it rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

General Nursing :( Please go down or stay the same..

FML

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

remember pick the course carefully based on how many points are required not what you enjoy and the amount of your friends that are doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

remember pick the course carefully based on how many points are required not what you enjoy and the amount of your friends that are doing it!

And ignore this advice :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

And ignore this advice :rolleyes:

As if I was being serious. If he needs to be warned against that advice...

• Advertisement

You would be surprised. Every year, every single fecking year, there are people who put (predicted) high points options at the top of their list, either because "sure if I get the points it would be a shame not to use them", or to please the mammy, never thinking they will actually get them, or for feck knows what other daft reason.

And then have a meltdown in August when they get a course offer in which they have no interest whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

:p *Guilty*

:p *Guilty*
    A Mayo man in "in a field full of sheep" ... we guessed! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clairec463

I hope general nursing goes down as well.. though i know a few from my school want to do it

Advertisement