Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

well done elsy, you should be proud. I can't wait to be that far in the program!!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

W1 D1 - Just started today after reading this thread. I have started on the treadmill at home with a 1% incline. Am going to wait until I have a bit more stamina until I venture out to public.

It was grand, but I was counting the seconds until I could walk again :o

Here's to completing W1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

D2W3 complete... to the tune from Rocky :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

verywell wrote: »
    Am going to wait until I have a bit more stamina until I venture out to public.

Nobody is watching and anyone who notices you out there is probably exercising themselves and will think 'fair play'!:)

The longest journey begins with a single step, congratulate yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Thanks mrslow, appreciate the motivation!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Agree with mrslow there. Have seen people who are either beginners or on the injury comback, doing a walk run and it always makes me smile seeing people get started. I remember those days. I used to go out at 7 - 8am and stick to the local park where the only people who would see me where the dog walkers and alcoholics and they were all lovely. That was just over 3.5 years ago now and I still see a couple of the dog walkers and always have a chat. Two of the men who I saw and chatted to every morning are in awe of how far I've come since then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Remember - the people on the street have no idea how far you've run already! They'll assume you're at the end of a 5 mile run!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭eefums

elsy wrote: »
    I found w4 so hard and like you as week went on it got harder not easier and I was like no way will I run 20 mins but this week something just clicked and I was able for it. The 20 min run was challenging but it was mental thing my legs and breathing were ok I found once I got past the 10th min mark it felt much easier.

thats encouraging elsy, am feelin pretty low after my run last night,(w5d1) i did it but i was really strugglin at het end of each 5 min run, jsut cant see me completing this week successfully! however, I have come this far and need to try adn keep my confidence levels up and hearing ur stories are helping! got to do do it can do it got to do it can do it etc etc eh? :)
    :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

leggit wrote: »
    Anybody running in this wind! It's crazy! At some points I was running on the spot because the wind wouldn't let me go any further!

Anyway, anybody signing up for the Patricks weekend race in Dublin City Centre on the 20th March. Think I'll be making my much anticipated racing debut!

Yeah I'll sign up for it. I'm only starting week 4 this week so I'll literally be at the last week of training just before the race. I don't care how long it takes to finish though, even if I'm straggling at the end :p I even got proper runners yesterday like a pro that I am :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

mrslow wrote: »
    Nobody is watching and anyone who notices you out there is probably exercising themselves and will think 'fair play'!:)

Or even wish they had the motivation/courage to do the same, and get out there themselves.

Stick with it, stay focused, follow the plan. It'll all be worth it ;)

• Advertisement

I remember those days. I used to go out at 7 - 8am and stick to the local park where the only people who would see me where the dog walkers and alcoholics and they were all lovely.

I bet on the rest days you were there in a social capacity!
    verywell wrote: »
    Thanks mrslow, appreciate the motivation!

Last summer I used to get a great buzz running through Clonee village past the beer gardens where at 2pm on a Saturday people were half steamed and smoking like chimneys (I used to be that soldier) but I was on mile 2 of a 6 mile run biggrin.gif

Don't ever lose heart, you'll get there!

Check this out for perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lour26

Yay, finally starting last night... downloaded the app on my iphone and it was so handy, I just listened to my music and the lovely alison just told me what to do..
    It went okay, was a bit shaky at the last minute run but I was happy with it :)
    Only downside was I didnt realise how cold it was last night and my head was freezing :(

I just had a thought, if any of you guys live near each other then meeting up for a session would be great motivation, plus when you run with company you're not as focused on discomfort etc. You also won't consider passers by.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I just had a thought, if any of you guys live near each other then meeting up for a session would be great motivation, plus when you run with company you're not as focused on discomfort etc. You also won't consider passers by.

Good idea but my doggy is enough company :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]

The longest journey begins with a single step, congratulate yourself!

SO true, I started out wirth c25k on the beach well away from everyone. Now I realise that anyone who looks is either thinking fair play or I wish I could do that!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

maria74 wrote: »
    SO true, I started out wirth c25k on the beach well away from everyone. Now I realise that anyone who looks is either thinking fair play or I wish I could do that!!

I started with it in a local park, well away from anyone who could see me - either that or running late at night. Doing my first race (Rathfarnham 5k, 2008) gave me the confidence to actually get out on the roads, though I'm still a rather nocturnal runner! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    I started with it in a local park, well away from anyone who could see me - either that or running late at night. Doing my first race (Rathfarnham 5k, 2008) gave me the confidence to actually get out on the roads, though I'm still a rather nocturnal runner! :pac:

My first race also last Oct, am actually already looking forward to doing it again!:D
    I will actually run anywhere now, around my area or nearby. I think it's doing races and seeing people of all shapes and sizes out there (me included) doing their best that gives you that sense of pride in your running (no matter how slow I am).
    So for all those worried just look at all the drivers/walkers going by and think to yourself....can you do what I am doing??? Chances are they cant, and if they can they are just delighted to see more people out there getting started with running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

W6 d1 done. My knee a lil sore for the first time since I started the programme any tips anyone. I iced it after my run

W6 d1 done. My knee a lil sore for the first time since I started the programme any tips anyone. I iced it after my run

The only advice on injury available is to go and see a physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

I wouldnt say injured just a lil bit sore sure ill see how it is after my rest day.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt say injured just a lil bit sore sure ill see how it is after my rest day.

I didn't mean to sound short, sorry:o.

There's just a very strict charter on the forum about injuries. Just follow R.I.C.E. - Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation and if you don't get relieve, go and see a professional. Get Well Soon:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Started this myself today, was harder than I thought, but feel quite good after it. Luckily I managed to miss the rain! Goal is to be reasonably fit for a mountain biking run in May, hopefully I can do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

So I did my run on Monday, was a bit tired after and the next day I was fine.

Today I did a similar run, a little bit harder but not by much and I thought I was going to die! Got it finished but don't know how I'm going to do next weeks runs!

Anybody randomly have runs where they just get tired much quicker than they usually would?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Week 3 complete:D
    Leggit i found today harder than my first run of week 3.... so persevere....
    am getting fed up of running in the rain though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Happens to everyone - some runs are much harder than they ought to be, other times it feels like you're gliding along. Most are somewhere in the middle.

w4d1 complete o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 justplainme

hi all.. did w3 d1 today.. I'm doing it by time (not distance). However, I seem to have ran/walked further the first two weeks than I did this evening..does that seem right or am I doing something wrong?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭eefums

so w5 d2 done? madness!
    was pretty tough but i struggled throough, was counting down the seconds to the end of the 8 minutes each time!
    No idea how I am gonna manage 20mins on friday? struggling with 8 mins cannot see myself being able to push it to 20? anybody got any advice hints or tips!
    and yea I am already going slow, defo slower than if i was walking for sure? Is this normal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

W4D2 done.

Thanks to mrslow for the link re the Hoyts- it did actually give me a bit of perspective that I was sadly lacking.

When I found it tough I thought about them and kept going.

Still found it tough going but better than W4D1.

• Advertisement

Wantobe wrote: »
    W4D2 done.

Thanks to mrslow for the link re the Hoyts- it did actually give me a bit of perspective that I was sadly lacking.

When I found it tough I thought about them and kept going.

Still found it tough going but better than W4D1.

Thanks Wantobe, congrats on your progress.

Advertisement