Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any tips on what healthy things to eat

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Some dark chocolate is a good snack with a cup of tea. I have some every evening with my cuppa and some almonds.

Also almonds and prunes go great together.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

adox wrote: »
    Some dark chocolate is a good snack with a cup of tea. I have some every evening with my cuppa and some almonds.

Also almonds and prunes go great together.

Dark chocolate and almonds hmmmm my next experiment thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Lidl's finest linessa low fat cottage cheese! Eat it like a yoghurt, 200g has 154 calories - 22g protein, 6 carbs & 4.8g fat. 50 something cent for one, nice and filling. My fridge is wedged with them, take it after meals if I'm still hungry. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I snack on cocoa nibs. They are bitter a hard to eat but for some reason I like them and you can only eat them slowly so it stops me snacking on crap. V good for you too

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Lidl's finest linessa low fat cottage cheese! Eat it like a yoghurt, 200g has 154 calories - 22g protein, 6 carbs & 4.8g fat. 50 something cent for one, nice and filling. My fridge is wedged with them, take it after meals if I'm still hungry. Highly recommended.

Why low fat? Great snack but there is no valid reason to eat low fat dairy. Low fat has only been around since the 60s / 70s. Eat full fat.

• Advertisement

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Why low fat? Great snack but there is no valid reason to eat low fat dairy. Low fat has only been around since the 60s / 70s. Eat full fat.

Do you just copy and paste your posts between all threads?

It's a low calorie snack, high in protein and satiation that's why. Low fat has been around far longer than high fat. Plants were on the Earth before fatty animals. Or do you believe the Earth is 6,000 years old because some people say it, we're being lied to, science is 'wrong' etc....?

Do you just copy and paste your posts between all threads?

It's a low calorie snack, high in protein and satiation that's why. Low fat has been around far longer than high fat. Plants were on the Earth before fatty animals. Or do you believe the Earth is 6,000 years old because some people say it, we're being lied to, science is 'wrong' etc....?

Have to keep people right.
    You've got to be the most pedantic person on boards or else you're a bit thick when it comes to reading posts!

Low fat food products only exist since the 60s- just a little later than people started counting calories. What happened? People got fatter.

any chance of a bit evidence? independent studies or the like? meta analysis? anything?

no offence but you play golf. u cant really give advice to people who actually xo stuff that's physically strenuous. unless of course u backd up your claims with evidence, which u dont, u just give links to people with financial interests in maintaining the high fat cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

It's good, as is Tesco Healthy Choice Natural Cottage Cheese, 100g has 11g protein, 5g carbs & 1.3g fat. There is also a Low Fat variant in the Healthy Choice range (not much different nutritionally but it has a few of the usual low fat adulterations so I avoid it). Any of them are improved by chopping some good fresh herbs, mint being a favourite. As an occasional treat adding a finely chopped small quantity of a really good strawberry or a couple of cherries or quarter/half a ripe kiwi/peach/plum makes a world of difference.

any chance of a bit evidence? independent studies or the like? meta analysis? anything?

no offence but you play golf. u cant really give advice to people who actually xo stuff that's physically strenuous. unless of course u backd up your claims with evidence, which u dont, u just give links to people with financial interests in maintaining the high fat cult.

No financial interest in low fat food products that fill the aisles in supermarkets across the world?

No golf today. (just sprints, skipping, pull ups, dips, weights (shoulder press, squats & lunges)!

It's only your advice that counts on here- right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

i love carrots as a snack, thats my fave, but just a plain medium or large sized carrot taken the skin of and then you can "chew on that for a while :d)) and it is super healthy.. sometimes a handful of almonds, walnuts, Brazilian nuts or cashews, but one or two of each not more..
    prunes are also great as someone mentioned, like 3 of them, they are also very healthy for digestion..
    rarely eat few hours before sleep but if i "have to" i'd give myself yoghurt (i use full fat and no sugar) with some - eg 30gr of cereals (also with no sugar) and it suits me : )... (rarely id have a boiled egg then, or a banana..
    btw since i have experimented for a year with low fat diet i came to realization that healthy fat is actually very important and good for us, but the sugar is much worse so am reducing sugar wherever i can (unfortunately these days they are putting it into almost everything where you would not expect it at all!)... of course i also do not think that sugar in for example an apple is bad, just the artificially added one to whatever where not necessary...

@bruno26 still avoiding the evidence thing?

i provide evidence when asked by people who appreciate evidence. therers a video of me deadlifting 10kg over twice my bodyweight on boards. not sayin it makes me an authority or anything but I think it might make any advice I give without evidence more reliable than some who wont provide evidence, doesn't understand basic nutrition, believes in a global food conspiracy and whos closest thing to evidence of even training is a list of random exercises.

@bruno26 still avoiding the evidence thing?

i provide evidence when asked by people who appreciate evidence. therers a video of me deadlifting 10kg over twice my bodyweight on boards. not sayin it makes me an authority or anything but I think it might make any advice I give without evidence more reliable than some who wont provide evidence, doesn't understand basic nutrition, believes in a global food conspiracy and whos closest thing to evidence of even training is a list of random exercises.

Good for you. You lifted a big weight therefore your advice on nutrition is reliable- ye that makes sense!

I understand nutrition. It's not rocket science. You clearly don't . You believe you know it all but you don't really.

Again you change my words. Where did I say there is a global food conspiracy? Anyone who writes a book or sells a food product or real food have one thing in common - to make money.

You make many assumptions (golf, random exercises). I posted something about golf so the only exercise I get is golf- you really are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Jesus Bruno and Generic just stop replying to each other. You're never going to change the others mind.

Good for you. You lifted a big weight therefore your advice on nutrition is reliable- ye that makes sense!

I understand nutrition. It's not rocket science. You clearly don't . You believe you know it all but you don't really.

Again you change my words. Where did I say there is a global food conspiracy? Anyone who writes a book or sells a food product or real food have one thing in common - to make money.

You make many assumptions (golf, random exercises). I posted something about golf so the only exercise I get is golf- you really are clueless.

Yeah, stop replying to me!
    It's getting weird....

Yeah, stop replying to me!
    It's getting weird....

Yes good idea but you did pose a question. Yes your posts are increasingly getting weirder and weirder and unfunny where humour is attempted.

Bruno26 wrote:
    Yes good idea but you did pose a question. Yes your posts are increasingly getting weirder and weirder and unfunny where humour is attempted.

im not replying to you so dont reply to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

He probably thinks you don't train and only play golf because you said that yourself in another thread recently.
    Certainly not- nothing wonder about it- simply the way I believe that humans were / are meant to eat. very little training unfortunately. Some golf!

Height 183 cm - just over 6 ft

Weight 76 kg (2 years ago about 88kg)

Body fat 14% (done couple of years ago was over 21%)

BMR 7841 kj
    1874. kcal
    Visceral Fat rating = 3
    BMI = 22.5

He probably thinks you don't train and only play golf because you said that yourself in another thread recently.

#conspiracy

Isn't the thread about healthy snacks? A handful of Macadamia nuts.

• Advertisement

stop replying. healthy snacks - fruitcake, nuts, crackers, bananas, fruitloops.... if anyone else can think of any more similar sure chime in.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭bytheglass

Boiled eggs
    Olives in brine
    Pickled onions
    Carrot sticks
    Nut butters
    Cherries
    Blueberries
    Blackberries
    Strawberries
    Raspberries
    Almonds
    Cashews
    Serrano Ham
    Real cheese (not easi-singles!)
    Cherry tomatoes in green pesto
    Dark chocolate (the good stuff)

Basically nothing processed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

I like to snack on Brazil nuts, they're the only kind of nuts that I wont stuff my face with. A couple go a long way.

Advertisement