Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking to change my choice of alcohol drink

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Why drink beer or cider if its just a high you are looking for? These drinks are traditionally drinks of moderation with low alcohol by volume. Its strong spirits you want so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

drumswan wrote: »
    Why drink beer or cider if its just a high you are looking for? These drinks are traditionally drinks of moderation with low alcohol by volume. Its strong spirits you want so.

Cause it's not a race to get slaughtered drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Me personally, I don't understand this obsession with craft beers and taste/flavour.

You don't get why people prioritise taste/flavour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Not particularly, no?

It's all down to preference. Some people say Heineken or Coors is generic or bland - maybe it is, but I tend not to notice. Beer is beer to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Spirits, per unit alcohol, are very expensive to drink in pub if you are including mixers.

Not sure what pubs you go to but I would certainly not called beer or cider drinks of moderation! our own governement tells us 3 pints in a row is binge drinking. I expect a lot of binge drinking goes on in the dail bar.

Spirits are not really a "session drink"
    Many don't, hence the popularity of low flavour beers like budweiser, and the practise of serving them at zero or sub zero temperatures to mask the taste.

Many view alcohol primarily as a recreational drug. Some cannabis smokers would consider themselves connoisseurs who appreciate taste, smell, appearance etc -I expect many people would laugh at the thought of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

rubadub wrote: »
    Many view alcohol primarily as a recreational drug. Some cannabis smokers would consider themselves connoisseurs who appreciate taste, smell, appearance etc -I expect many people would laugh at the thought of that.

I know that there are nights where I will probably end up getting drunk because it's likely to involve a lot of drink being xonsumed.

But I don't get the drinking to get drunk. I'm not saying it's wrong to...I just don't get it.

But I've just done a straw poll and both respondants do get it.

I've always wanted to be a minority...just to see what prejudice feels like.

It feels oppressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

rubadub wrote: »
    Not sure what pubs you go to but I would certainly not called beer or cider drinks of moderation! our own governement tells us 3 pints in a row is binge drinking. I expect a lot of binge drinking goes on in the dail bar.
    Never mind the propaganda, a drink with 4-6% ABV is very much a drink of moderation when compared with drinks with ten times that amount. Indeed beer was promoted and legislated for as a moderate choice compared to rum when public houses became popular centuries ago.

If the OP is looking to get drunk, a few measures of spirits are the way forward instead of guzzling litres and litres of beer.

But I don't get the drinking to get drunk. I'm not saying it's wrong to...I just don't get it.
    Lots of people just want to experience an altered state of conciousness. Many do not get it, as they might have a low appetite for experiencing altered states of conciousness, nothing wrong with that. Just like people who are not particularly fond of eating cannot understand how people get obese, or people who guy expensive food. Or people who have a low sex drive might not understand people having recreational sex for fun, when they might view it as being for procreation.

I knew a guy who was shocked when I was saying I enjoyed a beer with a curry, he couldn't get his head around it. He solely drank to get drunk, he drank bud but admitted he didn't like it, it was the most tolerable and cheapest option to him in pubs.
    If the OP is looking to get drunk, a few measures of spirits are the way forward instead of guzzling litres and litres of beer.
    I am not sure if you are being facetious or are genuinely ingorant about drinking culture in this country. If people do not particularly like the taste of beer I doubt they will like the sensation of straight spirits. One big reason beer is popular is that it takes time to drink and "lasts", this is why it is seen as a session drink. The OP said he goes out and has 7 pints, I expect this is over the course of several hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

You can get rid of the beer gut by training harder and keeping up your social pinting

Id switch to coors light anyways, you can also get cans of coors light

If you are drinking bulmers, go for the bulmers light

As for bread, I have seen a guy lose 2 stone by just giving up bread and contnuing his normal exercising.

I wouldnt be too worried about the beer side of things if you just stepped up the training or if you arent doing a bit it wouldnt be too much harm tipping to the gym and starting a small routine.

I have friends who drink like crazy and train like craz, these guys are lean and powerful in cycling, soccer and GAA. I certinely look at it as not to if you train hard then you deserve a few pints. Wouldnt give up the social aspect as that is worse in my personal opinion, everyone needs to enjoy themselves aswell

ghogie91 wrote: »
    You can get rid of the beer gut by training harder and keeping up your social pinting

As for bread, I have seen a guy lose 2 stone by just giving up bread and contnuing his normal exercising.

I wouldnt be too worried about the beer side of things if you just stepped up the training or if you arent doing a bit it wouldnt be too much harm tipping to the gym and starting a small routine.

I have friends who drink like crazy and train like craz, these guys are lean and powerful in cycling, soccer and GAA. I certinely look at it as not to if you train hard then you deserve a few pints. Wouldnt give up the social aspect as that is worse in my personal opinion, everyone needs to enjoy themselves aswell

Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

I think the big thing is drink and bad food go hand in hand.

Personally i eat healthy during the week. Chicken, Steak, porridge, Veg, Beans and fish and tuna.

Then on a Friday could meet a friend for 6 or 7 pints. This leads to crisps and nuts just for the sake of it. Then eat something unhealthy when i go home. The Saturday leads to laziness cook a fry with bread, a big dinner before going out to line the stomach. Then 7 or 8 drinks and get a snackbox or pizza. Sunday lazy something handy like a fry, picking away at chocolate and crisps feeling sorry for yourself.

My aim anyway is too train hard Monday-Saturday and go out for a good few on the Sunday. Hopefully it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

ghogie91 wrote: »

My friend cut out break for a month and she lost a stone without exercise despite being quite skinny. I am going to try give it a try.

Also i have a few friends who drink Friday through to Monday and train hard 6-7 days and are in great shape. Maybe some people just are different.

Right, I've eliminated the bread and chocolate COMPLETELY. Let's see how we go!

Right, I've eliminated the bread and chocolate COMPLETELY. Let's see how we go!
    I found bread to be a good one to cut out. For chocolate I would have some high cocoa quality chocolate on standby for a fix, the strong ones are so bitter it cannot really be wolfed down.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I think the big thing is drink and bad food go hand in hand.
    +1, most "beer bellies" should be called "chipper bellies" or "kebab bellies" with people gorging after drinking.

I used to make sure I had easy to prepare low calorie stuff ready for when I got home, or even bring stuff out with me.

I have always found alcohol to have little effect on my weight. I was still drinking 30+ pints a week and losing weight or at least not gaining any.

Is pasta just as bad as bread?

Advertisement