Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tay's Study Log - 2014

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

English - Vision and Viewpoint of Sive, HMMTB, Casablanca
    Maths - The Circle
    French - Reading comprehension, section 3 and 4 of 2011 listening, grammar.
    Home Ec - Housing, NCA, Dept of Food and Agri, Dept of Health and Children, Cheese production, calcium.
    Biology - Structure of plant, absorption of water, Dicot experiment.
    Chemistry - Colorimetry, Chromatography, Conjugate acid and base, quick scan of Atomic Theory, short questions..can't remember the year.
    Irish - An Gnathrud and Geibheann.

7 more days till X-Men!

English - Read my Macbeth notes.
    Biology - Plant structure and reproduction. I'll do exam questions tomorrow.
    French - Revised my notes on smoking, the economy, advantages of a second language, social networking and racism.
    Irish - Colscaradh and read over some essay vocab.
    Maths - Cried lol.
    Home Ec - Unemployment, Work, Convenience foods.

"The sun looks so beautiful today." The Leaving Cert student said as tears rolled down his/her cheek. He/she turned away from the window and re-opened Examinations.ie.

Maths - More tears lol I'm so screwed. Paper 1 isn't THAT bad, but P2...yeah I'm screwed.
    English - Partially read my Elizabeth Bishop poetry notes...partially.
    Irish - Hurlamaboc, 1 reading comprehension and looked over my young people essay.
    Chemistry - Radioactivity and another chapter..but I forgot.
    Biology - Waste management
    Home Ec - Family, soups and sauces.

Tomorrow I'll start with Maths and I won't budge until I learn something! For now, I'm gonna go play sims.

2 day long headache! Impossible to get anything done now. Gosh I feel so overwhelmed by stress. At this point, I don't even care anymore, I just want the LC over with. 2 more official school days, then graduation. Hopefully I'll be well enough to survive until Friday. Who needs graduation celebrations when you have X-Men?!

So apparently today was my last day at school and I missed it lol. I'll be going back on Friday for graduation but that's about it.
    Today, I did what I could...sadly with the television on. I just can't study without noise!
    English - Casablanca GVV, I finally understand it.
    Maths - Statistics, I did 2012 SEC Statistics questions. I think I'll keep focusing on paper two till next week. Then I'll go back to paper one.
    Irish - An Lasair Choille, Essay vocab. Another thing I just realised, we technically never finished the Irish course. Grammar..nope, Caoineadh Airt whatever...nope, proper focus on listening..nope. Guess I'm on my own at this point.
    Biology - A few random chapters, probably 4-5. I know Respiration was one of them, that's all. I also did 2012 Short questions and experiment. I got my other mock biology back yesterday, 74%..guess I'm on the right track.
    Chemistry - I honestly cannot remember what I actually studied. My brain refused to absorb anything when I opened my book.
    Home Ec - Slight poverty, food additives, something else.

I'm forgetting so much today, but anyways, 2 days till X-Men! I have waited a long time for this and it's finally happening!!

• Advertisement

Graduated yesterday and also X-men is outstandingly fabulous once again. 3D takes it all to a whole new level. I can't wait for the next film! Until then, time to create an alternate ending B)
    Anyways, the graduation ceremony was pretty good. I got an award for creative writing which brought my 2 years at the school to a full circle. I'll miss some and others I absolutely won't. But now it's time to get back to work after 2 days of nothing.

Home Ec - Fish, Education, Carbohydrare properties and shopping.
    Biology - Skeleton chapter and Digestion.
    Chemistry - Water and rates of reaction, also hydrogen peroxide experiment.
    French - 2008 literary reading comprehension and 2005 listening (brootal).
    Irish - Dis and Geibheann.
    Maths - Well...I revised over Trigonometry and Geometry..but I didn't write a thing.
    English - Macbeth; struggle between good and evil, HMMTB GVV, Emily Dickinson...pls come up. One of my favourite lines is currently "And then a plank in reason broke and I dropped down and down." I think that's it anyway.

In other news, I sprained or possibly broke my pinky whilst trying to impersonate wolverine. They warned me, and I still went ahead :(
    It was worth it though.
    That's enough news now, I'm in the mood to write so I'll see if I can get something written before I watch a movie.

So I definitely sprained my pinky by the looks of it. It's really difficult and uncomfortable for me to write. Hopefully it heals before the exams. Note to self, you're not wolverine. 9 days left to enhance my Home Economics knowledge. I'm doing a bit of HE each day, since it's currently my main priority.

Home Ec - Eggs, B1, B2, B6, Textiles, Calcium and Vit D.
    Chemistry - Electronegativity, Hydrogen peroxide experiment, preparation of soap and Esters.
    Biology - Photosynthesis and Human Reproduction...I spent a good 5 minutes laughing at 'mammary gland'. It sounds ridiculously funny to me for some strange reason.
    French - 2005 or 2008 Journal intime (Whichever one was about going out and spending a lot of money.) I also revised my past tense grammar.
    Irish - Fill Aris, hopefully this or Colmain comes up. I can't stand An Triall. I also done Sample 4 listening, I didn't grade it, but my irish spellings would have surely lost me a lot of marks.
    Maths - Nothing at all...too scared to open the exam paper lol.
    English - GVV for Sive, Lady Macbeth is ruthlessly ambitious rather than fundamentally evil, Derek Mahon poems.

Tomorrow, I'll make more effort with Maths. I said that last week and I barely did anything. But this time, I'm serious. Honest.

Maths - Sample paper D - Patterns, Prime Numbers and Financial Maths.
    English - Casablanca GVV
    Irish - Colscaradh, Mo Ghra-sa, An t-Earrach Thiar.
    Biology - Defence system, endocrine system, all enzyme experiments.
    Home Ec - Cheese, Microwave, Fridge, Niacin, Folic Acid, B12 and Hire Purchase Act.

No Chemistry or French today, so I'll start with them tomorrow. Already planning my cram sessions the night before each exams. If it's a memory test they want, that's what they'll get.

Chemistry - Equilibrium chapter, Free radical mechanism and bromine mechanism, periclase case study.
    French - Essay phrases and oral phrases.
    English - Macbeth quotes and HMMTB Isolation theme.
    Biology - Scientific Method, ear, eye and skin.
    Home Ec - 2013 short questions, meat, iron, freezing, vitamin Bs, Extensive processing of flour.
    Irish - Essay phrases, looked over my essay notes and revised Dis.

No maths today, I need to devote a day this week entirely to Maths.

What in the world did I do to deserve four irritating, ignorant and just f*cking stupid brothers?! Six days left of study and these arseholes refuse to let me work. Why oh why.
    Anyway, I attempted what I could and I'm pretty sure I only absorbed 1/2 of what I studied today. I blame those idiots.

English - Isolation (Sive, Babylon, Casablanca)
    Maths - Ugh, I won't even bother explaining.
    Irish - Brief reading of Caoineadh Airt whatever and Geibheann.
    Home Ec - Housing, Textiles, Sensory Analysis, Changes in eating pattern, minerals.
    Biology - Fungi, Bacteria, Amoeba, Breathing and the yeast experiment.

*These are what I attempted to do, I couldn't concentrate at all, those twats annoyed me so much! Times like this I really wish I was wolverine. Ughhh.
    So this is basically what I have to live with for the next few days. If only I lived close to a library.

• Advertisement

I just realised I might not need an OC3 for my course! Woohoo. Yes it seems like something that's really easy to achieve, but for me it's absolutely not. If it turns out that I just have to pass Maths, then my whole life is complete. I can stop trying so hard to understand project maths! :D

My goal for the leaving cert, but I'll be happy with getting just enough for my course.
    Maths C3 - 20 (D3 now, but who knows how it will all turn out)
    English B1 - 85 (Favourite by 100% ily, even though the majority of the course is made up of learning off rather than understanding.)
    Irish C2 - 65 (I need this so badly, but I hate this subject so much!)
    French B3 - 75 (Pls, just for once, pls be cool.)
    Biology B2 - 80 (I'm counting on my one year of biology to get me through.)
    Chemistry D3 - 45 (Hahaha fck off. But I still need those points...so stay until the 17th)
    Home Economics B1 - 85 (WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS TOGETHER. Hold my hand and let's be friends.)
    Total: 455

Anything over 435 will do, my course was 425 last year, but I fear it will increase. Although I have a pretty awesome backup, but still, just like that KOL song, I WANT YOU.

Tomorrow I had planned to have a National study Chemistry and Maths day in my house and then brownies if I manage to get 2 hours of each done. But now I'm gonna just roll with the punches and see what I feel like studying tomorrow.

I forgot to post what I did today. :P
    English - WB Yeats and Emily Dickinson.
    French - Read my Mal-logement and racisme writing piece. I also revised the grammar questions that always come up (Adverbe, adjectif, subjonctive etc)
    Biology - Plant reproduction, SEC Sample paper short questions and experiment.
    Chemistry - Propanone experiment, acid and base, thermochemistry.
    Maths - 2/4 of Sample paper E
    Home Ec - HACCP, EHO, FSAI, Food safety, Bacteria, yeast, poverty, HDL and LDL, Insurance.

English - GVV of Casablanca, Sive and HMMTB. Revised Slyvia Plath. Macbeth; Kingship and the witches.
    Maths - Sample p1 E question 9
    French - Diary entry 10 positive and 10 negative sentences. Homelessness, drug in sport and volunteering again.
    Biology - IAA experiment, nervous system, circulatory system.
    Chemistry - Organic Chemistry up to Aldehydes, bonding, Electronegativity.
    Home Ec - Work, money management, IDA.

I'll continue to rotate my subjects up until Monday, then it's cramming as much Home Ec as I can.

English - Isolation in HMMTB, Elizabeth Bishop and An Irish Airman Forsees His Death by Yeats.
    French - Wrote up an opinion piece about 'les femmes dans la politique'. I'll learn it tomorrow.
    Biology - Food, Cell Diversity, Evolution.
    Chemistry - I started reading the organic chemistry experiment, but then I fell asleep. Like a full on 3 hour nap! It happened yesterday too!
    Home Ec - Marriage, Vit D, Vit C, B vitamins B1-B12.

The one thing that I have to remember is that there's always another way if I don't get my first choice. Those people who think they're too high and mighty for PLCs really irritate me. One person in particular who needs to get off their high horse. "I'd rather die than do a plc."
    Well good luck with that then.

I went to bed early yesterday since I realised how messed up my sleeping pattern is.
    Yesterday:
    French - Learnt 'Les femmes dans la politque', 3 listening pages out of Ecoutez Bien 2, past tense grammar, negative diary entry terms.
    Irish - Colmain, Spailpin Fanach, An Gnathrud.
    English - Macbeth as a complex and imaginative character, lady Macbeth the opposite. Isolation in Sive and Casablanca. Emily Dickinson.
    Maths - Patterns.
    Home Ec - Minerals and Vitamins, eggs, second chance education for adults, working principle of the microwave and the fridge.
    Chemistry - Iron tablet experiment, vinegar experiment, gas laws.

So this was basically the last day of me rotating my subjects. Tomorrow, I'll only be studying English and Home.Ec. It's all come down to this. One year of work, but will it all pay off?
    Today,
    Chemistry - Water, water experiments etc.
    Biology - Genetics, DNA, Nervous system.
    Home Ec - Everything related to meat except protein.
    Irish - An Lasair Choille, Colscaradh and Fill Aris.
    Maths - Started redoing my mock paper.
    English - Macbeth's downfall and derek mahon.

Exams went fairly okay today.
    English - I did the first comprehension, it started off well then it got repetitive. So boring. I did the letter for Section B. I wrote to David Gilmour of Pink Floyd asking him to donate his first ever guitar....hopefully the examiner doesn't know who he is because there was a vast majority of errors regarding his information. Lol. For the composing, I done a short story.
    The one about a ghastly/ghostly presence. My idea was so stupid but it was the first thing that came to me. It was about a girl who's mother died, so the father got depressed, stop working and drank cheap beer all day. She lives in abysmal conditions with her older bro and sister too. So she's heading off to school, goes to ring for her friend and they get into an argument about the girl believing her mam is still alive. Her friend pushes her onto the road, a car is about to hit her. Everything suddenly freezes, she's in that moment between life and death, she sees her mam who is all like "They need you, I won't let you die too." Yada yada etc. so she awakes on the street, her friend is crying, ambulance is coming and she's uninjured. The car basically sent her flying like a lost kite.

I managed to fit all that into a measly 4 and a half pages. Please don't judge.
    I feel so embarrassed now, poor examiner is gonna have to correct my odd work :/

Anyway, Home Ec is completed FOREVER. The exam was fairly okay, the first question caught me off guard but I tried my best.

English tomorrow so I'll have to revise.
    Poets - Bishop, Plath, Dickinson, Yeats. And possible Mahon if I can. Not taking any risks with Heaney, not at all.

Comparative - GVV and theme and issue.

Macbeth - Macduff, Macbeth and his girl, Banquo, the witches and kingship.

Paper 2 was good.
    Macbeth - The first question confused me so I just discussed his relationship with Banquo and LM.
    Comparative - 2nd question of GVV, grand enough.
    Poetry - 3 of my studied ones came up, I was faced with the huge decision of which one to answer. But I ended up with Dickinson, since her question was so lovely that I nearly shed a tear. THANK U BASED GODS.
    I'm gonna rest now and go revise for maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BlazingBladeDA

I did the same thing for Macbeth, my friend answered his as a kingship question so I thoguht I was alone :S

I did the same thing for Macbeth, my friend answered his as a kingship question so I thoguht I was alone :S
    It was more a character question rather than a theme..kingship is rather odd..
    The question was pretty vague in my opinion, I had to read it over and over to try and understand it :/

• Advertisement

OL Maths P1 - Woo, whole lotta sh*t.
    It wasn't ALL that terrible, since my brain finally clicked in the last hour. The graphs were tricky but I got them in the end, I'll discuss that later on.
    Cardboard question was sh*te, I re-wrote the formula and differentiated then left it :P
    Last question in the complex number was left too. I attempted it but it was still 100% wrong.
    The simultaneous equation question, I answered it wrong too.
    Hopefully it was only worth 5 marks.

The graphs...woo they were tricky.
    I picked D for the matching one.
    The opposite page was confusing at first but then I started doing the functions.
    E.g say f:x was x2-3x+x
    I entered all the numbers on the x axis into the function and got the y number. This way I could plot them :D So glad I thought of that!!
    The final question was rather odd. Is it me or did it seem like there was quite a few mistakes in the wording :/ I swear I answered the same question twice.

No rest day today, I'll be studying Biology, Maths P2 and French :P
    I can't take any chances.

Maths P2 work, I'll revise it again tomorrow and at 5am on Monday morning. All I need is a D3 pls.
    Biology - Kidney, Ecology, Growth regulators, breathing, hormones, the heart.
    Irish - An Lasair Choille and Gnathrud, also looked over my essay paragraphs. I'm relying on 1 and if it doesn't come up...well lol.
    French - Grammar, opinion pieces: Drinking, smoking, enviroment, benefits of a second language, economic crisis, racism, women in politics. It only took about 20 minutes since I know Drinking to economic crisis off by heart..I literally say it for fun now.

Last night I had a dream I was Macbeth, and I couldn't stop saying quotes...it was more of a nightmare now to think of it.
    I'm most likely going to have to rethink my whole CAO...but I'll wait till after Chemistry...my most dreaded exam.

Maths P2 and Irish essay today.
    I'll be up early tomorrow to cram some more maths.
    So I checked the answers for P1 and it brought me to laughter rather than tears. I need to get at least 115 marks in p2 to pass OL maths now.
    Hopefully I underestimated since I didn't take the attempt marks into account, but I'm screwed if I don't get at least 115 in paper 2.
    It's funny because I actually knew how to answer 3/4 of the paper, I shouldn't have been rushing lol. Yay for project maths -.-

Irish I need at least a C2, I'll most likely get a C3 but meh.
    As soon as all this is over I can go back to writing my stories and scripts!

Maths P2 - Well I thought it went okay, I could be wrong but it's too late to care now. I most likely never have to do another maths test :D Unless I fail maths of course lol.

Irish P1 - Good overall. I finished in the first hour and a half so I just sat there awkwardly.

Tonight: Cramming of Biology and Irish.
    I'll be up until 12pm, then I'll wake up at 3am to study more. Yes, I'm that desperate.
    I'm so glad it's all coming to an end. After tomorrow, I have French then I go back next Tuesday for Chemistry :D 5 full days of cramming!

Woo. What a long day!
    Irish P2 - Grand enough. Comprehensions were good, dis questions were so repetitive, but I still did what I could. I got confused on the last spailpin fanach question, I know meadaracht means metric from the essay we done in class on road safety but I wasn't sure of it in poetry form. So I put saorvearsaiocht and iomhanna laidir and included a bit about the English coming to Ireland :P
    The last part I did the extra poem, I nearly cried when I saw Fill Aris. It was so easy to bluff and make up, I can't say much for my spelling and grammar though. I can't seem to ever remember where the seimhiu goes.

Biology - Not the best, but ah well. Like Noah and The Whale sang, L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N :P

French tomorrow, hope the listening isn't too bad. Then I have 5 days to cram Chemistry and then it's all over!
    I envy all of you who finish tomorrow

French was good, a few errors here and there but a B2 still looks within my reach.
    I'll start revising for Chemistry tomorrow, hopefully I cover all that I can to get me a D3.

I'm finished! Oh freedom tastes so good! I have so much freedom that I don't know what to do with it all! I'm never taking it for granted again, oh it feels so good to be free!!!
    Chemistry - Hahaha I think I might get my D3 after all!

It was a long and tense 9 months but it's over, done!!! I can't believe I actually stuck with this study log throughout the whole year, hopefully it all pays off. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kennydapro

Hi A7X, I was a thorough reader of your blog during the last month of sixth year.

Firstly, the extraordinary wisdom, humour and social commentary (along with the anticipation of X-Men: Days of Future Past) inspired me to work within the last three weeks of my exams and in between the days of the exams. I can't express my utmost gratitude and can only apologize for not returning the favour - you noticed that I created a study log of my own, but I am guilty of abandoning it. I studied and all, although I sacrificed everything - including the study log - for revision! Silly me.

Still, I can relate to you and say it's comforting to see you acknowledge your freedom and relief. I still have yet to overcome the relief of graduating and completing all those poxy exams, but hey.

And another thing, I noticed that your single motivation for Leaving Cert revision was to get out of secondary education. Personally, I'm delighted to have finished school myself (as I hated it), but I was wondering, for a studious person like yourself, if you have any career prospects?

And, another thing I liked in your blog. A while ago, I remember that you criticized a student for her rather condescending view on PLC's, in which you implied it was almost a stigma. Well, I can't express the extent to which I agree with you. Personally, as an aspiring student who wants to secure a position in a good degree, I would be determined to spend months, if not years, to work towards my place. My father knows A-students in third-level whose CAO offers were rejected on a year-by-year basis, A-students who recognize the significance of education (but most importantly, the standards of education too). That's why I'm determined to exceed in higher education - it's what I love, and, with enough preparation and motivation, something I'll work my ass of for when I get there. Maybe I can refer to your study log in the past for encouragement and, if you choose to have a college study log, that too!

But yeah, this post is lengthy and you're probably enjoying your freedom, so yeah! Again, I appreciate the time and effort you have dedicated towards your study log, as it has benefited many (including myself). Live long and prosper, with great power comes great responsibility...eh...w/e

Peace, and all the best in your future,

-Josh

kennydapro wrote: »
    Hi A7X, I was a thorough reader of your blog during the last month of sixth year.

Firstly, the extraordinary wisdom, humour and social commentary (along with the anticipation of X-Men: Days of Future Past) inspired me to work within the last three weeks of my exams and in between the days of the exams. I can't express my utmost gratitude and can only apologize for not returning the favour - you noticed that I created a study log of my own, but I am guilty of abandoning it. I studied and all, although I sacrificed everything - including the study log - for revision! Silly me.

Still, I can relate to you and say it's comforting to see you acknowledge your freedom and relief. I still have yet to overcome the relief of graduating and completing all those poxy exams, but hey.

And another thing, I noticed that your single motivation for Leaving Cert revision was to get out of secondary education. Personally, I'm delighted to have finished school myself (as I hated it), but I was wondering, for a studious person like yourself, if you have any career prospects?

And, another thing I liked in your blog. A while ago, I remember that you criticized a student for her rather condescending view on PLC's, in which you implied it was almost a stigma. Well, I can't express the extent to which I agree with you. Personally, as an aspiring student who wants to secure a position in a good degree, I would be determined to spend months, if not years, to work towards my place. My father knows A-students in third-level whose CAO offers were rejected on a year-by-year basis, A-students who recognize the significance of education (but most importantly, the standards of education too). That's why I'm determined to exceed in higher education - it's what I love, and, with enough preparation and motivation, something I'll work my ass of for when I get there. Maybe I can refer to your study log in the past for encouragement and, if you choose to have a college study log, that too!

But yeah, this post is lengthy and you're probably enjoying your freedom, so yeah! Again, I appreciate the time and effort you have dedicated towards your study log, as it has benefited many (including myself). Live long and prosper, with great power comes great responsibility...eh...w/e

Peace, and all the best in your future,

-Josh
    Oh God, apologies for the late reply, I didn't realise someone had wrote on this thread but I'm grateful that you took time out of your life to write me such a fantastic message. I'm really glad that someone appreciates this thread and hopefully it does inspire you to work hard and succeed with flying colours. I wish you all the best!
    P.S X-men was awesome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement