Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WATER KEFIR GRAINS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elly1981

Hello...
    I wonder if its still possible to get some water or milk grains? i would be very interested.
    thank you

Elisabet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MagaliD

Hello,

I am desperately looking for milk kefir grains.

I have water kefir grains, kombucha, and sourdough starter to exchange or give away.

I am located in Waterford City.

If anyone has a source of milk kefir grains, please respond to this post!

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 McMercSLR

I have milk kefir and I need water kefir. I live in Dublin. We can send each other the goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abusimbel

I am also looking for some water or milk kefir grains.

If anybody has some to spare I'd love to take them off, I live in Dublin and could collect or will pay for the P&P.

Many thanks

David

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MagaliD

I can send water kefir grains to Dublin if necessary, but I'm sure somebody in Dublin must have some! Otherwise, send me a private message with contact details so we can make arrangements.

• Advertisement

Many thanks, I will hold for few days to see if someone in Dublin can give me some. Will send you a PM in case I am not lucky.
    Cheers again!

Anyone living in Dublin that can give me some kefir grains please? Thanks!

Nevermind, I got some from Sligo. I would like to get some water kefir grains if some can supply in Dublin I would be happy to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FluffTheDog

Anyone know what to do if the kefir turns to vinegar? Can I still use the grains? I only brewed it for about 40 hours, I thought it was to be left for 48 hours. Anyone know what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FluffTheDog

There's still little bubble in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Mine tasted very sour and vinegary, more vinegar, not as strong as apple cider vinegar, that was after about 48 hrs, I put them in the hotpress, even though its not so warm in there due to everything being insulated, I exposed some pipes and part of the tank to get some heat as there was none in the kitchen once the heating was off, whereas the tank retained a bit of heat and its a smaller space, the temperature in the kitchen just got cold below 18 degrees and I think this did not help my first batches which did not ferment.

How have you managed with the vinegary-ness of the kefir since?
    I was thinking the warmth from the tank may have aided and accelerated the consumption of the sugar or the fermentation.
    I read that maybe reducing the first ferment time can help reduce this. As mine seemed to have a lot of vitality, I think maybe 36 hours or less and see how they are, maybe sample a taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Has anyone got surplus water kefir grains they could share? Will pay p&p.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9 marie1606

has anyone kefir milk grains My next door neighbour Alice used to make bread with the milk soured with these when I was a kid. Would love to try for myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9 marie1606

meant to say I am in Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Salzer

Hi, I wonder if any of you are still using the Water Kefir Grains? I would love to embark on using them if I can get some of the crystals. I live in North Co.Wicklow, could easily arrange to pick them up in South Co.Dublin, especially Dun Laoghaire area, or even from central Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Hi, just wondering if anyone around the Midlands area has water kefir grains or Kombucha SCOBY to share?
    I have some milk kefir grains in hibernation in the fridge for the last 10 months or so, I was given them but I hate milk so never used them, tried with coconut milk but it didn't work lol
    If not, would be very happy to pay postage!
    Thank you :)

unreg999 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone around the Midlands area has water kefir grains or Kombucha SCOBY to share?
    I have some milk kefir grains in hibernation in the fridge for the last 10 months or so, I was given them but I hate milk so never used them, tried with coconut milk but it didn't work lol
    If not, would be very happy to pay postage!
    Thank you :)

I've water kefir grains, would be interested in milk kefir or kombucha scoby, mine have been in the fridge a while and I keep planning to make another batch, swap? Maybe we could meet half way somewhere? I'm in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

cerastes wrote:
    I've water kefir grains, would be interested in milk kefir or kombucha scoby, mine have been in the fridge a while and I keep planning to make another batch, swap? Maybe we could meet half way somewhere? I'm in Dublin.

I'm in Moate so it would definitely be do-able to meet half way!
    How long have they been in the fridge?
    I'm looking for a Kombucha Scoby too...!! :)

6 or 7 weeks, I'll make a few batches to revive them, they were growing at a phenomenal rate and taking over the fridge, I had other grains which didn't multiply as much.
    I'll start this tomorrow so they are ready by the start of next week after a few runs, need to buy some supplies.
    At least I can let you know how they are doing.

Where's halfway?

unreg999 wrote: »
    I'm in Moate so it would definitely be do-able to meet half way!
    How long have they been in the fridge?
    I'm looking for a Kombucha Scoby too...!! :)

PM sent, can Kombucha be made using water kefir grains?
    I forgot to mention when flavouring the water kefir, I leave it for 48 hours somewhere warm, maybe another 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Linny6000

I'm looking for water and milk kefir grains. I have Kombucha scoby's. I've only just made my first batch from them and the Kombucha is gorgeous. I should have a scoby to share in about a week and maybe more in the following weeks. I'm in Malahide..

Linny6000 wrote: »
    I'm looking for water and milk kefir grains. I have Kombucha scoby's. I've only just made my first batch from them and the Kombucha is gorgeous. I should have a scoby to share in about a week and maybe more in the following weeks. I'm in Malahide..

I have water kefir grains, Im interested in the kombucha scoby can travel

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Linny6000

Ive just ordered water and milk kefir. I can share a Kombucha scoby with you. Let me know if you will be around Malahide.

Ive just ordered water and milk kefir. I can share a Kombucha scoby with you. Let me know if you will be around Malahide.

I'll check when Im free and pm you back, can see when you're available that matches and hopefully get some grains.

Sorry for the delay, I'd be available over the weekend, didnt know to yesterday afternoon when Id be free, so if you are around Sat or Sun I could head over that way to get some kombucha grains?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kube

Hi,
    I was wondering if you still have water kefir grains to share?
    I also live in Dublin and would be delighted to collect them from you.
    i am trying to make a water kefir ginger bug at the moment, but i feel i would have better results with the grains.
    thanks
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Hi! I'm looking for milk kefir grains. Can anyone send me some please? Of course, I'll cover p&p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

inigo wrote: »
    Hi! I'm looking for milk kefir grains. Can anyone send me some please? Of course, I'll cover p&p.

Me too. Anyone know anywhere with either water or milk grains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irma23

Hi Kate

I would like to order some grains I love in Dublin.

Thank you ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Can anyone recommend a Kefir Milk starter kit? I have seen a couple of websites on-line but not sure if they are any good.

Advertisement