Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheapish server build

• 01-03-2015 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,just looking for a bit of help here. Im thinking of building a small dedicated server box.
    Nothing major to be done on it,just looking to host a few games like minecraft and arma 3. Arma 3 would only be a low pop server,say 4 people.
    I can run it on my current rig and play with one or two people while also running the game and it doesnt impact performance too much but id like to move the server burden onto a dedicated box.
    Which would hopefully allow more players on and also would give the ootion to leave it running for friends when im not on or need my main PC for something. My theory is that if i can run the game and server at the same time on my main PC a small dedicated box should handle what i need. Is this fanciful?

I was thinking along the lines of a haswell i3,8gb decent ram,430w psu,cheapish board and case and possibly a 256gb ssd for storage Would be hoping to keep the build to about €400-500.

Was going to throw windows 7 on it from reddit.

So im just looking for some feedback,is this a waste of time? Should i be looking at more powerful components? I know nothing about servers and there needs,trying to get a sense of what would be required

Thanks for any and all feedback

Edit: A quick price up of the components above comes in at around €460 without geizhals. So with the above id stay in budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I did something very similar with my old server. I moved to an ASRock C2750D4I later because I wanted something smaller, and more LAN options, but it's a bit out of your budget.

My old server could run a few Minecraft servers, Space Engineers server, and backups all fine. I ended up needing a bit more horsepower for Plex transcoding though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Thanks,good to know im in the ball park specs wise.

Did a lot of reading today,just to try get a better understanding of servers in general and the requirements for the specific games im looking to run.

Surprisingly anything above dual core diminishing returns kicks in really on the games im looking at. Arma 3 being the only exception really,even then most of the work is done on core 0. Clock speed and single core performance seem to be a much bigger factor than the number of cores. In that sense im fairly happy with the choice of an i3.

Im still confused as to weather i should use something like Windows Server 2008 R2 as the OS or just stick with Windows 7. Considerimg my limited requirements is Windows Server 2008 nessacery?
    Im not familiar with it but if it were essential id be willing to learn. But if windows 7 was suitable id just go ahead with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Server 2008R2 is 90% the same as seven. Its got AD and other enterprise tools tacked on, but at its core the only major performance increase is for bare metal VMs.

Some software wont run on it though (antivirus, backup), without very expensive business licences, so depending on your own uses for it that could be a pain.

Coming from my old Win7 home server to 2008R2 for the new one, its probably easier to use 7 if you just want to host a few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Also 2008R2 can be an arse when it comes to network drivers and won't play well with some network ports on consumer boards.

Thanks lads,ill stick with windows 7. Its a bit of a project for me and im hoping to learn a bit about networking and servers as i go but i think id rather have a familiar OS starting off. With reddit being so cheap for windows i can just change down the line anyway if needed.

Have a decent offer(€100) on a second hand i3 3220 and a h81 m-atx board,if i get that and everything else is new i reckon i should be able to get this together for uner €400. I was going to go haswell but from digging around the performance difference seems to be around 8-10% from ivy bridge but its about €80 more for the haswell and haswell board. Any major reasons i shouldnt just go with the ivy bridge i3 and save money? Is there anything haswell offers that would be a benefit in this situstion? Bar the extra performance of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I moved from Win7 to Server 2012 R2 (the server version of 8, pretty much) with my new server. Forgetting about all the Win8 bull****, it's actually pretty similar, to be honest. It uses less memory than my Win7 server did too.

That said, I'm doing a few things you might not be. Running VMs for example. Server 2012 has a really nice server manager built in which is great for that sort of stuff.

Fairly settled on the spec of this now,decided to go with a i3 4160 (4130 is only €4 cheaper) and a 1150 board. Im hoping the extra money spent will be worth it for Arma 3.

From the research ive done there is no real set requirement for the hardware thats needed for Arma 3 servers but there seems to be a consensus that good single core performance and high clock speeds will really help with the server hosting. While a good quad core would be more ideal im hoping the 4160 has enough grunt for my requirements. While id love to pop a quad i5 into this i feel i would be kicking myself if it turned out to be wasted for my needs,also dont want the budget getting out of control. Feel like im about at the point where im spending about what i want and cant see much extra performance available unless i spend a good bit more.

Shopping list below,no PSU or windows there. Have a spare PSU im going to throw into it,bit of a waste of a 650W unit but oh well. Id like a nice shiny new one,maybe modular but the 650W will do for now and i can replace it down the road. Still undecided on the OS,going to get it from reddit either way so hopefully about €20.

341720.png

Ignore the mouse at the end of the list,my current G400 has developed a cable fault which keeps causing it to disconnect from the PC so decided to upgradesmile.png

The server parts minus the mouse come to about €376 including delivery. Add €20 for windows and im hoping to keep the cost under €400.

Im probably going a bit overboard on the MB but i would like to have USB 3 and support for 32GB of ram just incase

Anyone any last minute suggestions?
    Ill probably be ordering by friday in the hope of getting the parts by end of next week.

Advertisement