Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What graphics card should I use ?

Options
  • 25-02-2015 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hey!

So my desktop has been out of action the last few months and its only know Im really bothering to fix it. Heres a link to a thread on Tom if your interested and it includes my specs as well!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2521849/signal-desktop-monitor.html

Anyways I think I have narrowed it down to the graphics card as I had my rig running yesterday without it and everything seems to be fine. So I need to order a new one. Have you guys got any recommendations ?

As Im not really confident in my PSU either I may end up ordering a new one of those as well. This one was recommended to me.

PSU

My budget is around 200 euros for the both of em. Any thoughts/recommendations ?

Do I need to take into account my CPU when choosing the right graphics card ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Those psu's are solid.if it works when you remove your gpu and then does work when u put it back in gpu is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Hey!

So my desktop has been out of action the last few months and its only know Im really bothering to fix it. Heres a link to a thread on Tom if your interested and it includes my specs as well!

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2521849/signal-desktop-monitor.html

Anyways I think I have narrowed it down to the graphics card as I had my rig running yesterday without it and everything seems to be fine. So I need to order a new one. Have you guys got any recommendations ?

As Im not really confident in my PSU either I may end up ordering a new one of those as well. This one was recommended to me.

PSU

My budget is around 200 euros for the both of em. Any thoughts/recommendations ?

Do I need to take into account my CPU when choosing the right graphics card ?

A HD6950 would run well with 500W and you CPU apparently.
    Check out these comparisons!

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/670789-HD6850-VS-HD6950-tested-20-games-on-1600x1200

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/351401-28-intel-core-2120-good-gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Those psu's are solid.if it works when you remove your gpu and then does work when u put it back in gpu is at fault.

It may or may not be the PSU, more details are needed.. What's happening exactly when the gpu is plugged in? Won't boot? Black screen?

What's your current GPU and what's the output in the PSU?

Edit: nvm I followed the link.. Do you know anyone with a PC you can check the GPU on?

If you wanted to upgrade anyway I would replace both gpu and PSU to be on the safe side.

Also I like to add in here that the PSU is the one thing you don't skimp on when building a pc as it can destroy other components, if you do replace it get one from a reputable company/ manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That PSU is fine, no need to replace it, if the PC works fine without the video card then clearly the card is faulty.

If your budget is 150-200, I'd look at an R9 280, it makes the most sense really and should easily be gotten for about 190 delivered and it's a big improvement on a 6950.

That PSU is fine, no need to replace it, if the PC works fine without the video card then clearly the card is faulty.

If your budget is 150-200, I'd look at an R9 280, it makes the most sense really and should easily be gotten for about 190 delivered and it's a big improvement on a 6950.

While true, the bigger issue is why the card died.. A bad PSU wears down components and the most vulnerable is the GPU..

Throwing a new one in there with the current PSU will only fix it temporarily.

Here's an interesting video from Linus:

Go to about 3:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Not sure if you will see this so it appears I have found the solution!

So after swapping out PSUs and cleaning my original one up (removing protective grill and de-dusting) my desktop appears to be running fine. I can only assume that my problem was due to a build up of dust in the PSU. Ive turned it on and off again about 4-5 times and each time it starts up with all the bells and whistles! So, the moral of the story is, regular clean-outs of your PC!

So I guess I might just try and upgrade my PSU now instead of looking at the graphics card (for the moment anyways). I want to get something modular with around 550-600w to cover any extra bits I may add onto the rig.

Im still kind of leaning towards something like this but it is the first PSU I've proper looked at so I'm trying to not jump the gun.

I might stick to my €200 budget and try fit in an SSD and I need some adaptors for my motherboard. There is only one fan header on the mobo but Ive been told you can get adaptors ? Same goes for the USB headers, there are 2 but I need 3 to fit on all my USBs. Do they exsist ?

What website would be the best value to pick up the above ? Ive used HardWare.de before but never dabs.ie

Just after thinking as well, I only have 3.5" bays left inside my case as my only 2.5" bay is taken up by a multi-card reader. Having a look on HardWare.de there is only one 3.5" SSD and its priced at nearly €350. So I guess I need to either swap out my multi-card reader or spend way more than I intend too ?

gazzamc wrote: »
    While true, the bigger issue is why the card died.. A bad PSU wears down components and the most vulnerable is the GPU..

Throwing a new one in there with the current PSU will only fix it temporarily.

Here's an interesting video from Linus:

Go to about 3:00

That's fine but the Super Flower Amazon is a good quality PSU, not a cheap one. Why are we reaching the conclusion that it's bad?

That's fine but the Super Flower Amazon is a good quality PSU, not a cheap one. Why are we reaching the conclusion that it's bad?

I was only going down the list of possible component failures, as the OP posted above it was the PSU after all, It must of been overheating... This is where a separate test bench (or a friend with a PC) comes in handy to test your components when something goes wrong.

Also the PSU is a lot cheaper to replace than a GPU, this PSU is rated at 80+ bronze @ 450w .. giving it's age and the load the power hungry 6850 is producing i rather something along the lines of 80+ Gold. Also from a quick google search it's recommended to have a 500w PSU for this card so the OP is really stressing the PSU.

PSU's are cheap compared to other components (even the good well known brands) so there's no excuse to skimp on it for other components you can upgrade later.

Also @OP if you do a lot of heavy gaming make sure you clean the rig at least once a month, many others would say once every 2 weeks but it depends on the environment the PC is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

been using one for nearly two years. only thing ill say I don't like about them is there cabble reach its quite short.

been using one for nearly two years. only thing ill say I don't like about them is there cabble reach its quite short.

Yeh besides the dust build-up (which is my fault) its served me pretty well! The only thing Im not a massive fan of is the massive amount of cables, but I'd say most PSUs are like that ?

Think Im just gonna get the XFX Xtr 650w. Its tier 2 on Toms Hardware, meets the recommended requirments for my GPU and is modular! And it comes to €140 delivered!

Ill try pick up an SSD with the remainding budget!

• Advertisement

That is a massive waste of money to be honest. Something like a 600W modular Corsair would be about 60-70 and even that would be more than enough.

So ... I went for the XFX :o Had ordered it before reading this thread this morning.
    Here's my order below!

AKxLEga.jpg

Honesty I wouldn't say it's a "massive waste". After reading a bit on Toms it looks like its a higher quality PSU (it's tier 2 and gold 80 as opposed to bronze 80 and tier 3) over all, which to be honest, I'm happy paying for if it means it will A) last longer and B) run smoother. At least now I know i have a reliable PSU to build from. Also picked up 64gb SSD and two new case fans! A GPU might be my next buy!

It doesn't mean it willl last last longer and run smoother. It means its more efficient, but that's a high price to pay considering your PC isn't worth that much to begin with.

It's not a massive waste because it's a bad PSU. It's a waste because your PSU is worth about 35% of your entire PC's worth now. The money would have been far better spent on going towards upgrading your GPU or CPU, both of which are fairly outdated for the latest games.

And you've bought a 650W PSU for a very old graphics card that's power hungry simply because it's old; a new card that's literally twice as fast uses far less power. Even the GTX750Ti for example is faster than the 6950 and doesn't even need a 6-pin power connector, and would run on a 250w PSU.

It's also generally the type of PSU people might buy if they were spending 1K on a new gaming PC. The vast majority of people - including myself - use solid, reliable supplies in the 40-70 euro price range for builds from about 400-1k.

For those reasons it's a poor buy in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If you can, cancel your order and go with what terror suggested. Put extra cash into bigger ssd. 64gb is tiny.
    That way you will get a new psu snd a better sized ssd.

so canceld the psu, SSD, Downgrade PSU, upgrade SSD ?

It doesn't mean it willl last last longer and run smoother. It means its more efficient, but that's a high price to pay considering your PC isn't worth that much to begin with.

It's not a massive waste because it's a bad PSU. It's a waste because your PSU is worth about 35% of your entire PC's worth now. The money would have been far better spent on going towards upgrading your GPU or CPU, both of which are fairly outdated for the latest games.

And you've bought a 650W PSU for a very old graphics card that's power hungry simply because it's old; a new card that's literally twice as fast uses far less power. Even the GTX750Ti for example is faster than the 6950 and doesn't even need a 6-pin power connector, and would run on a 250w PSU.

It's also generally the type of PSU people might buy if they were spending 1K on a new gaming PC. The vast majority of people - including myself - use solid, reliable supplies in the 40-70 euro price range for builds from about 400-1k.

For those reasons it's a poor buy in your case.

excuse my blindness! So Corsair 600w ... 120gb SSD ? Should I order from Amazon ? Couldnt see the PSU on Dabs!

Advertisement