Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build for 3d modelling/gaming Questions

• 12-02-2015 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

So after a very long time of ignoring hardware I've ran into a wall trying to teach myself to use 3DSMax, Unreal Engine and the like because my old gaming laptop just can't hack it. So I want to invest in a new desktop.

1. What is your budget? [~€1200]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [3D Modelling/UE4 and programming, some Gaming]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [I will probably take the old DVD drive from my ancient Desktop, and use the Monitor from it until I can afford a better one]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes... but it can wait.]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [22' would be nice]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080 (I think, it's been a while and it's resting in a different house)] [Yes]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Wireless Card/Keyboard]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Visa Debit/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [A week or so, no rush, will wait for a good bargain]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Dublin-I am reasonably sure I can build it myself(famous last words...)]

So far I've been looking around on Elara and made a rough list.

FX 8350 4.0GHZ 16MB 125W PIB SKT AM3+ L2 16MB 125W PIB 1 €175.50

RADEON R9 270X 4GB GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI DP OC DUAL-X BO IN 1 €185.50

Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 Series Red LED Mid-Tower Gaming Case 1 €56.89

M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 ATX SND+GLN+U3 SATA 6GB/S DDR3 1 €79.00

WD Red WD30EFRX - Hard drive - 3 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA 6Gb/s - buffer: 64 MB - for My Cloud EX2, EX4 1 €113.00

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM (Kit of 2) HyperX Fury White Series 1 €130.07

Be Quiet! BN183 Pure Power L8 CM Power Supply (730 Watts) 80 Plus Bronze
    100eu

(~1000eu so far)

some questions:

1. I notice from the other threads there seems to be bias towards intel processors. Is there some concrete reason intel is plain better these days? .. I went with AMD as they always did me well in the past and I always liked the whole 'more bang for less buck' design philosophy, also were easier to overclock when last I was buying.

2. I notice that German site is recommended over and over, is good ja? what's the deal with their 'discount' proxy site, why/how does ordering through the geizal.de work out better than hardwareversand.de (probably stupid question just I never heard of either before so am hesitant to place a big order there).

3. Cooling: I don't have any clue. Advice?

4. That CPU has 8 cores. Is that overkill for what I want? It still seems a good price, I think last time I bought a PC my 2.x Ghz single core cost twice that much, lol

And finally, an SSD: worth the investment?

Any other advice appreciated too! Cheers

Thanks for your time :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

CPU I7 devils canyon 337

ticle No. HV1138RSDE
    Mobo ASRock Z97 Pro3, Sockel 1150, ATX
    ready for dispatch

88,99 €

88,99 €
    PSU Article No. HVR630TCDE
    Thermaltake Berlin 630W
    ready for dispatch

47,93 €

95,86 €
    RAM Article No. HV20MI49DE
    16GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    ready for dispatch

121,79 €

121,79 €
    HDD Article No. HV13W1CBDE
    WD Red 3tb
    ready for dispatch
    €113

Article No. HV203E41DE
    Antec One, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    ready for dispatch

45,21 €

45,21 €
    SSD Article No. HV12CZSLDE
    Crucial SSD 120GB BX100
    ready for dispatch

63,93 €

63,93 €
    GPU Article No. HV1034IJDE
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X WindForce 3X Revision 3.0 mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 3GB GDDR5, DVI,HDMI, 2x mini-DisplayPort
    ready for dispatch

239,75 €

239,75 €
    notice basket

Clear your basket

Factoring amounts at a glance
    amount 1.045,12 € + Shipping costs + 6,99 € = credit amount 1.060,11 €

Much Better CPU, better motherboard, case, an SSD, and better Gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

Nice, man! Thanks. That's from geizhal.de I'm guessing?

Sorry for the bump but if all goes to plan I will order today. Is that list from geizhal.de, Sterling?

finding their site a bit hard to navigate, also I had never heard of them before here. It looks like a price comparison site? (I see listings from dabs, Amazon etc as well as hardwareversand)

Dashticle wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump but if all goes to plan I will order today. Is that list from geizhal.de, Sterling?

finding their site a bit hard to navigate, also I had never heard of them before here. It looks like a price comparison site? (I see listings from dabs, Amazon etc as well as hardwareversand)

Hey, yeah hardwareversand.de using geizhals.de, it's a discount site.

So search a part and then hit hardwareversand.de from the list and add it to your basket, it will be saved while you repeat process with all parts.

• Advertisement

Post list of parts before you purchase will double check it..

No worries will do, should be doing it around 6 or 8pm or so.

I just wanted some reassurance too geizhal are legit because I couldn't find any reviews/mention of them (they have a wiki page but its in German and the only thing I got from it is they formed mid 2014).

You know how it is when you're blowing a chunk of savings on fancy gadgets, ya don't wanna take chances :o

No worries will do, should be doing it around 6 or 8pm or so.

I just wanted some reassurance too geizhal are legit because I couldn't find any reviews/mention of them (they have a wiki page but its in German and the only thing I got from it is they formed mid 2014).

You know how it is when you're blowing a chunk of savings on fancy gadgets, ya don't wanna take chances :o

Totally get iS oNE of most used sites on here.

Article No. HV1138RSDE
    ASRock Z97 Pro3, Sockel 1150, ATX

ready for dispatch

88,99 €

Article No. HV20479KDE
    Intel Core i7-4790K Box, LGA1150

ready for dispatch

335,89 €

Article No. HVR630TSDE
    Thermaltake Smart SE 630W / Modular

ready for dispatch

58,54 €

Article No. HV20MI49DE
    16GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9

ready for dispatch

130,81 €

Article No. HV13WRD3DE
    WD Red RD1000S 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB

ready for dispatch

114,78 €

Article No. HV203E41DE
    Antec One, ATX, ohne Netzteil

ready for dispatch (only 1 article)

54,90 €

Article No. HV12Z740DE
    Crucial MX100 SSD 128GB (2,5", 7mm)

ready for dispatch

62,98 €

Article No. HV1034IJDE
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X WindForce 3X Revision 3.0 mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 3GB GDDR5, DVI,HDMI, 2x mini-DisplayPort

ready for dispatch

249,33 €

add to basket delete show all saved notes

1.096,22 before postage etc.

I sourced what I could off Geizhal, if they didn't list it I went straight to hardwareversand (such as with the graphics card. Geizhal did not list the Revision 3 version). Also, is that the correct processor? Thanks.

Yeah correct, price of case is too high, should be 45.

Would you consider a gtx 970?. Would bring price up.

• Advertisement

The case doesn't seem to be listed on Geizhal - 'Es gibt derzeit keine Anbieter für diesen Artikel.' (No vendors, even though hardwareversand are selling it for the price I listed :/)

If I'm doing my checking correctly upgrading to a gtx 970 would cost at least 100 more - I don't think I can take that hit unless there's a really noticeable jump up in quality from the Radeon...?

edit: to clarify obviously I know it will be a bit better, but is the extra GB or whatever worth 100+ more yoyos?

The case doesn't seem to be listed on Geizhal - 'Es gibt derzeit keine Anbieter für diesen Artikel.' (No vendors, even though hardwareversand are selling it for the price I listed :/)

If I'm doing my checking correctly upgrading to a gtx 970 would cost at least 100 more - I don't think I can take that hit unless there's a really noticeable jump up in quality from the Radeon...?

edit: to clarify obviously I know it will be a bit better, but is the extra GB or whatever worth 100+ more yoyos?

Antec one you have chosen 100.

No if it's too far don't.

Ah yeah, seems the search function on Geizhal.de can be hit and miss or something, it showed up properly that time.

Just transferred the monies to HWVS, exciting times. Now to see if I have the stones to put it together myself after spending all that cash :) thanks for the list!

Ah yeah, seems the search function on Geizhal.de can be hit and miss or something, it showed up properly that time.

Just transferred the monies to HWVS, exciting times. Now to see if I have the stones to put it together myself after spending all that cash :) thanks for the list!

Just by coincidence I've always done most of that hungover. Not advisable. I tend to forget that some of that stuff I'm jamming in saying "come on bitch you know you want it " costs over 300 euro.

Just by coincidence I've always done most of that hungover. Not advisable. I tend to forget that some of that stuff I'm jamming in saying "come on bitch you know you want it " costs over 300 euro.

Haha yeah I don't think I can do worse than the guy I got to build my rig last time. He dropped the heat sink on the processor then denied it and wouldn't pay me back

Haha yeah I don't think I can do worse than the guy I got to build my rig last time. He dropped the heat sink on the processor then denied it and wouldn't pay me back

Yeah diy, don't be letting some other guy touch your junk.

Keep your phone and YouTube handy. If you are unsure about anything drop a message in here someone help you out.

Bump again, any decent suggestions as an alternative to the Graphics card (that's not too over budget), HWVS are out of the version I ordered. Is there a big difference between the Revision 3 and the other versions...?

Like this? https://geizhals.de/eu/gigabyte-radeon-r9-280x-windforce-3x-oc-rev-2-0-gv-r928xoc-3gd-a1032430.html

edit: Never mind, HWVS dont have that one either. I would have to get the revision 1 instead.

Like this? https://geizhals.de/eu/gigabyte-radeon-r9-280x-windforce-3x-oc-rev-2-0-gv-r928xoc-3gd-a1032430.html

edit: Never mind, HWVS dont have that one either. I would have to get the revision 1 instead.

MSI one? 240

Hmm yeah, hopefully they let me use the price from Geizhal. I should have had my parts by now dammit :p the suspense is killing me

• Advertisement

So 3 days now after emailing them for a different GPU I got no response, I called them this evening. The lady on the phone was helpful, and told me she had swapped the part on the order, but it would cost about 12 quid more. I was a bit surprised because it looks like the MSI card replacement is a tenner cheaper than the Gigabyte I originally ordered. The lady said she would ask if they could do something about the price and email me with the response.

Now that I'm home I check my order and see not only has the part not been swapped, but I have no email about it either way. Gonna ring again tomorrow again I guess, yay long distance.

HWVS might be cheap but I don't rate their service at this stage. If I had ordered off someone else I might have paid a few quid more but I'd have my bits by now. ATM I am over a grand in the hole and my order is still in limbo a week+ later. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

So 3 days now after emailing them for a different GPU I got no response, I called them this evening. The lady on the phone was helpful, and told me she had swapped the part on the order, but it would cost about 12 quid more. I was a bit surprised because it looks like the MSI card replacement is a tenner cheaper than the Gigabyte I originally ordered. The lady said she would ask if they could do something about the price and email me with the response.

Now that I'm home I check my order and see not only has the part not been swapped, but I have no email about it either way. Gonna ring again tomorrow again I guess, yay long distance.

HWVS might be cheap but I don't rate their service at this stage. If I had ordered off someone else I might have paid a few quid more but I'd have my bits by now. ATM I am over a grand in the hole and my order is still in limbo a week+ later. Annoying.

Ouch! I've only ever ordered from HWVS! I used it to order my first PC build. I was only 16,17 at the time so the thing that put me off it most was the bank transfer! So I emailed them over and they explained the process thoroughly and that it was pretty much the norm for Germany. Waiting time on delivery I think was around 10 days. I went for Dabs.ie for my second order just to see the difference in timing as I didnt see much of a price difference! Although I wasnt using HWVS discount site :/

Let us know how you get on with the build!

So I called again just there and got a different rep, and in fairness he had my ticket pulled up straight away and ws able to tell me it's normal not to update the online order form and the discount or whatever was applied.

I'm still a bit confused how she thought I owed 12 quid more because the replacement card is 249.05 on HWVS.de's base site, and the missing card was 249.33.. if anything, they owe me 28 cent!!! .Anybody know if the Viper still does debt collection....

Anyway never mind order is cleared for delivery apparently, still a bit annoyed it took so long but sure, will update when it's here/built

Sooo one more bump due to my dippiness: turns out I will in fact need a new monitor to use this computer as by dark-ages CRT doesn't have DVi/HDMI input. Probably should checked that out first eh? anyway I'm looking at this one on dabs.ie for 158

BenQ GL2450 - LED monitor - 24" - 1920 x 1080 FullHD - 2 ms - DVI-D, VGA - glossy black

Should be decent enough, right?

Otherwise I'm open to suggestions, needs to be around the 150 mark as the bank is already well and truly broken, also I would prefer to not to order from overseas as the HWVS stuff will be here on Wednesday or so and I'm eager to get it set up asap! I have a HDMI tv I an get the OS and stuff installed on but it's hardly ideal.

Sooo one more bump due to my dippiness: turns out I will in fact need a new monitor to use this computer as by dark-ages CRT doesn't have DVi/HDMI input. Probably should checked that out first eh? anyway I'm looking at this one on dabs.ie for 158

BenQ GL2450 - LED monitor - 24" - 1920 x 1080 FullHD - 2 ms - DVI-D, VGA - glossy black

Should be decent enough, right?

Otherwise I'm open to suggestions, needs to be around the 150 mark as the bank is already well and truly broken, also I would prefer to not to order from overseas as the HWVS stuff will be here on Wednesday or so and I'm eager to get it set up asap! I have a HDMI tv I an get the OS and stuff installed on but it's hardly ideal.

Alot of good reviews on amazon.

Says 2ms response time. But specs say 5.

Hey just an update the parts arrived wednesday and put it together grand, havent been able to really take it out for a spin yet because the old dvd drive i was going to use in it is too old for the mobo, and without the mobo drivers the ethernet doesn't seem to want to work. The good news is the graphics card came with a VGA/DVI adaptor so I didn't have to go buying a new monitor just yet.

On the whole I would warn anyone ordering from HWVS that they are absolutely crap at service via email.... they finally got around to answering my ticket for swapping the missing card on wednesday (the same day the delivery arrived, lol) 10 days after I emailed them. It also took them 5 days to email me about why the order was delayed in the first place. Its worth noting because the phone calls I made to get it sorted out cost quite a bit, added bout 20 quid on the phone bill :(. A quick look online tells me I'm not the only person a bit annoyed at their slow/non existent responses via email.

I'm not too mad since I still came out on top price wise, just something to be aware of.

Advertisement