Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSssooooo annoyed!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

jen your dog being attacked was your fault at the end of the day

the aggresive dog was on a lead

fine she didnt react properly it seems but the attack was your fault end of story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Honestly, if this was my dog, I would be apologising to the lady for scaring both her and her dog. She had her dog under control and on leash as the law requires, your dog invaded her space and caused itself to be injured. A Samoyed is quite a big dog, and for anyone not familiar with their placid temperment they could feel quite intimidated. The smaller dog doesn't sound agressive to me, it sounds nervous, it would have shown this with body language, body language your dog obviously ignored and it paid the price. Instead of pointing the finger of blame let this be a lesson to both you and your dog to pay a little bit more respect to other dogs / dogwalkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ok the OP did not have her friendly dog on a lead, however it's been said over and over again that the woman holding the dog on the lead did nothing, didn't react in any way to pull her dog off. It's not one persons fault.

It's sad that no one can walk their dogs off lead anywhere in this country anymore wether you live in the countryside or the town.

Most people that walk their dogs regularly have friendly dogs, you usually only get the odd narky one.

If people want to give out to op for walking their dogs off lead then they should go out on the streets and give out in person to every other person walking their dog off lead and also those people who allow their dogs to wander.

Ok perhaps op should have kept all the dogs on leads but it sounds like even if the dog was on a lead the little dog would of attacked anyway when they went over to sniff.

Some of my pooches aren't the friendliest to other dogs and I will say that as someone tries to approach sounds like this woman who had the dog on the lead didn't even say hey can you put your dog on a lead as my lad isn't very dog friendly.

I can't see how it's all the ops fault, and you would be suprised at your own reaction if your dog was attacked by another dog wether it was your fault or not, it's never a nice experience and you do what you can to protect your own dog and try not to get bitten in the process.

From readin the posts all I can see is that the op perhaps should have had her dog on a lead..but why when very few people have their dogs on leads when walking in a common area where dogs are walked regularly.

At least the op stepped in with others to sort it out it's not as if they sat back and watched, they tried to stop it happening while the other dog owner just stood there like an wally when it was her dog doing the attacking.

Do people honestly watch their dogs behaviour every second they are out on a walk...no they bloomin well don't. You can sneeze and miss something no body is the perfect dog owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Do people honestly watch their dogs behaviour every second they are out on a walk...no they bloomin well don't. You can sneeze and miss something no body is the perfect dog owner.

I keep a good enough eye on my dogs not to allow them to approach strangers and their dogs and if I didn't I wouldn't get on a forum confessing to kicking a small on leashed dog, who was minding its own business and in its eyes was only defending itself and expect anyone to back me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

star-pants wrote: »

People have sympathy for the dogs yes - I sure do, because I've seen that situation and it's scary and it's a quick reaction that might save the day. The dogs are lucky it wasn't worse and it's horrible that it happened to them. And I know how awful I'd feel if either of my dogs were hurt, I couldn't bear it.
    But at the end of the day, you and whomever else are their owners, and you have to look out for them too. I think some people are annoyed you allowed your dog to get into a situation whereby it got hurt.

I understand where your coming from starpants that I allowed my dog to become hurt from not having him on a lead and obviously the woman may have been frightened but as you said you have to look out for your own dog when a situation like that arises.
    At that point it's too late for what ifs and I do feel bad for not having him leashed that day. Believe me when I say lesson learned and I probably won't ever walk him in that area again. I'm going to stick to areas I know to be quieter in the future.

I basically have stopped replying to this thread as it is just going in circles.
    I couldn't be bothered giving people more amunition to be honest.

The incident should never have happened but it did. I was angry another dog owner did nothing. Fine her dog was on a lead however even if Gunnar had been on a loose lead it still *might* have happened.

I would like people out there to honestly think. If your dog was in that situation what would you do? And I don't mean you wouldn't have let him get into that situation. Pretend for a second that like me ye weren't perfect and in a split second things got out of control.
    Your dog is being attacked by another dog. Would ye stand there and allow him to lose an eye (which both dogs almost did. Had the injury been 1/2 cm lower) while you have a calm conversation with your friend and wait for your dog to retaliate (which you know he won't do.. as it's just not his nature).
    Would you try everything to seperate your dog. Especially when you thought he had the second dogs eye! Would you just stand there and do nothing?
    I don't think so.

Now I did what I felt was neccesary given the situation as obviously according to what has been theorized about the woman (who no one here has ever met or dealt with) was too terrified to move. Though she wasn't too terrified to shout or be aggressive with us afterwards.

If it was the fact she was terrified fine. But was I supposed to wait for her to unfreeze and call her dog off?

I didn't I reacted along with the people who were there and we had tried pulling the dogs apart, lift both dogs, push/pull everything, before he was kicked.

I don't care about the dogs size in relation to Gunnar. It doesn't mean he was any less capable of doing serious damage. When my dog is standing there whining and crying because he is in pain. I WILL react.

I will not justify this any further to the people here. It sounds to me that if people can stand idly by and let their dog be attacked and wait for the attack to resolve itself or the owner to eventually react at well some point... who knows if she was going to then do ye really love yere dogs if ye can see them in pain? And at the time you are not certain that the dog has his teeth in another dogs eye? (luckily he hadn't but we thought he had).

IF ye can find yerselves in this particular situation. If ye are afterall not perfect and you walk your dog offlead somewhere you *think* to be a safe spot. IF your dog is BEING bitten by another and ye do not react. Then judge me. But I did and would do again what I did to protect my dog regardless of fault.

Just because I am part fault for my dog being off lead does not mean I should stand and do nothing while he is crying in pain.

The blame to me here doesn't matter when the damage is being done.

Fine I should have had Gunnar on a lead. But again I have already admitted that I am not perfect ( and by the way for the poster who thought all 5 dogs were mine.. only 1 was) and well the situation happened.

Now that is the last time I will explain my actions. I want the thread locked please as I think that it's just running in circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was talking to someone in Canada about this thread.

There, laws are stricter.

The dog attacking would have been destroyed, and there are signs to that effect at the entrance to every park....

But also anyone with dogs off leash unless it was a designated area for off leash walking, would have been in serious trouble.

Very few dogs are 100% reliable; especially where their personal space is concerned.

The image I get of five people wading in... yes the woman should have picked her small dog up immediately... But with five dogs and five people?

It is so very hard for city folk.

lrushe wrote: »
    I keep a good enough eye on my dogs not to allow them to approach strangers and their dogs and if I didn't I wouldn't get on a forum confessing to kicking a small on leashed dog, who was minding its own business and in its eyes was only defending itself and expect anyone to back me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bega

Its quite simple. ALWAYS put your dog on a lead when approaching another dog who is leashed!!

Regardless of how friendly, calm etc your dog is. It is basic manners!!

On another note, never hit, strike or kick a dog in the midst of a confrontation. You will make it worse. You will cause them to defend themselves & their pack (human & canine) even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Thread locked on OPs request

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement