Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being primary/secondary teacher

Options
  • 22-01-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey:)

I am currently in Ty and have to make my subject choices in coming months.
    I would like to be a primary or secondary teacher but there is a problem I am not great at Irish and did lower level Irish for 1st - 3rd year. I was thinking of doing higher level Irish from 5th - 6th year and trying harder, has anyone ever been in this situation 
    Just wondering if you are wanting to be a secondary school teacher do have to do higher level Irish even if you don't want to teach the subject?
    And if you are wanting to be a primary school teacher do you have to do higher level Irish? If so are there anyways in being able to do pass Irish for 5th - 6th year and then doing a course or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Moved from TalkTo Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

How did you get on in the Jc with Irish, what grade did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Laurakelly99

I did lower level Irish, and I got a B

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As a primary teacher, you would be responsible for the Irish of the children you teach, so you should have the highest level possible. To teach a subject other than Irish at secondary level you do not need Higher Level Irish.

Please have a realistic look at job prospects for teachers in Ireland before you commit to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I'd recommend giving HL Irish a go for the start of fifth year to see how you get on! It's worth a shot and if you aren't doing well, you can always drop back down and at least you won't have any regrets of not trying to become a primary school teacher!

There's plenty of subjects at second-level that don't require any knowledge of Irish so don't worry too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Laurakelly99

I really want to do higher level Irish but I really don't think I am able for it, I do Irish with a higher level teacher in TY as we aren't put into different classes like the last years, I find it really hard to understand anything she says as she talks Irish for that complete class without any English. I am thinking of doing resource with a teacher that taught me pass Irish last year and seeing where that gets me..
    Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

If you want to be a secondary school teacher, you may not have to worry about irish depending on your ideal subjects.

However, if you want to be a primary teacher it is quite important to both be proficient ( If not fluent) and to have a genuine interest in teaching the language and enjoy speaking it. You would have to encourage the language to children, and it's hard to do that if you don't enjoy it.

If you want to improve your irish there is some things you can do. change the language of your facebook and your phone to irish. It may be hard to understand at first but stick with it, the symbols help a lot. use resources such as Duolingo, a website which provides a free course in languages. I picked up some decent grammar tips from like half an hour on it. watch movies on TG4, when your saying simple sentences try and think of the irish for them.I don't understand everything my teacher is saying straight away either :)

adh mor ort! (good luck to you)

Advertisement