Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you consider or have you a tattoo

Options
  • 30-08-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting my first one (a religious symbolic tattoo). I was just wondering what other peoples opnions of them are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

billyhead wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting my first one (a religious symbolic tattoo). I was just wondering what other peoples opnions of them are?

Seriously considering getting one myself, I was even in at the tattoo place today to talk to the guy about it! I want to get a take on a compass!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I haven't got any. For 2 reasons. Firstly, i reckon if I got one i'd get sick of it and want rid of it and they're pretty permanent!

But mostly I have none because I really don't think they would suit me. There are a lot of people who have tattoos that you think "Yeah, that's alright. Suits them".

Then there are others and you think "What were you thinking dude? A Liverpool crest on your neck?". or even tattoos on people who they don't suit!

But in general I think it's all about the individual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

If you are getting a tattoo and are serious about it you won't care what people's opinions of them are. They don't change the person despite what many may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Have several done, and plan on getting a few more.

Each is "important" to me in a way, and frankly I've never been fussed what others may or may not think of them, which is the way it should be.
    I also have mine in places that would not be seen should I need to have a certain, let's say appearance, for a job.

p.s.
    I still hate you Will :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I definitely wouldn't! They look awful.

Even if I did, I would be bored of it after a few weeks and would want to change/remove it!

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't! They look awful.

Terrible statement to make dude, truly terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Been considering getting one for years but i can't decide what to get, I'm pretty sure once i get one i'll get a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Would never get one myself. Never even remotely considered it :)

Each to their own, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

I personally love them, I have a good few tattoos myself. :)
    Getting another one done soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

yea i have a few, love em :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I was thinking of getting one to mark my 30th birthday. It would be my first one. Am I too old? Would it be a bit of a midlife crisis thing to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Have a couple and will definitely be getting many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I'd like to get one but have not got the nerve to do so + her indoors would not approve

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No thanks.

I think they are all tack and they all look crap after a few years when they fade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I have one done, never regretted it but wouldn't get any more either. I think the balls about them is that you don't know what you'll be like when you are older. For instance, I got a little dragon guy on my back 20 years ago and now he has a 'nice' growth of back hair on him... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting one to mark my 30th birthday. It would be my first one. Am I too old? Would it be a bit of a midlife crisis thing to do?

Wha? 30 is too young for a midlife crisis! I myself plan to live to about 147ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Been considering getting one for years but i can't decide what to get, I'm pretty sure once i get one i'll get a lot more.

You will. Trust me. It really can be a bit addictive.

Short answer......No

Do it.......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I have one done, never regretted it but wouldn't get any more either. I think the balls about them is that you don't know what you'll be like when you are older. For instance, I got a little dragon guy on my back 20 years ago and now he has a 'nice' growth of back hair on him... :(

Does it look bad now because of it? It's obstructed by the hair of course, but I don't see how that would necessarily make it bad.

I've always wanted one. I have come up with ideas that I was really fond of over the years, but I always find a reason to chicken out. :(

I'm currently designing a half sleeve, starting from the shoulder down.

Probably a more Thorn style motif rather than the standard Maori tribal style.

Also, advance grats on 1k posts gargleblaster :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I've none,always wanted a discreet tattoo but never saw anything I like.

Don't mind most tattoos,but I've a serious dislike for names-it just seems a bit odd to have your wife's,kids' or any other names on public display.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

I think they are a great memory from a specific time in your life. If they fade, just get them touched up.

I don't regret mine and I don't understand the age argument. Everyone gets old and wrinkled, what difference will a tattoo make? At least when you start to loose your mind, the tattoos can trigger memories ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I've got one, on my forarm, its means a lot to me, to remind me of things i often find my self, forgetting...

I dont really care what people think of it and if some one says I like your tatt it makes it more special

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Never in to tattoos, especially where visable all the time. I'm sure many people will regret them as they get older

Having said that :p ,I'm seriously thinking of getting one to mark my 50th next year. The initials of my wife and 2 kids use the letters ICE. Any suggestions on a design to incorporate these?

I've got one, on my forarm, its means a lot to me, to remind me of things i often find my self, forgetting...

Ah, the old address tattoo!

Good luck at the AA meetings :pac:

oldyouth wrote: »
    Never in to tattoos, especially where visable all the time. I'm sure many people will regret them as they get older

Having said that :p ,I'm seriously thinking of getting one to mark my 50th next year. The initials of my wife and 2 kids use the letters ICE. Any suggestions on a design to incorporate these?

it has to be a tattoo of this picture!

281x211.jpg

Also, he's still hip to the groove............ right?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Don't have any and would only consider it to commemorate something deeply, deeply personal.

There are some cool tattoos out there but I think the vast majority are kind of dumb and fairly pointless, like people who get tattoos from computer games and animé (e.g. the triforce from zelda as a tattoo). I see that as something so trivial and pointless to get marked on your body. Like who likes a video game that much?

A guy I used to go to school with came home from his leaving cert holiday with loads of cartoon characters tattooed on him and another friend got Carpe Diem tattooed on himself and I found out while talking to him about it that he didn't know what it meant :rolleyes:

That said guys who complete stuff like serious endurance events get a pass in my book to commemorate an event that takes herculean efforts to complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

MrStuffins wrote: »
    it has to be a tattoo of this picture!

281x211.jpg

Also, he's still hip to the groove............ right?
    With Jedward either side of him :D

I love a good tattoo, they can be so sexy! Just make sure you trust the artist and absolutely love the tattoo that is designed for you and you will love it forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

At least when you start to loose your mind, the tattoos can trigger memories ;)

This you? 25_memento.jpg

I've got two, I will be getting more at some stage. I don't care what anybody thinks about them. They are symbolic for me, marking things I find important. I love them and on girls they can be quite hot :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

No, I personally don't like them. They offend my personal artistic sensibilities. No problem with anyone else getting one, not sure if I'd like them in a partner though, it's never come up.

If people died at 60, then yes! :P

Advertisement