Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you consider or have you a tattoo

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Don't see any point in them at all, and the first thing that comes to mind when I see one is "Scummer"

Nothing to do with the person most of the time, I'm just impressionable and that's my opinion. Doesn't mean my opinion of the person will never change if I get to know them, not true, I have relatives with tats, but as a first impression, it would instantaneously lower my opinion of that person. Definitely wouldn't ever consider one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Don't see any point in them at all, and the first thing that comes to mind when I see one is "Scummer"

Nothing to do with the person most of the time, I'm just impressionable and that's my opinion. Doesn't mean my opinion of the person will never change if I get to know them, not true, I have relatives with tats, but as a first impression, it would instantaneously lower my opinion of that person. Definitely wouldn't ever consider one myself.

Not having a go at you im just curious, wondering what leads you to come to this conclusion on first impression? Tattoos these days are on people from all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

oh man where to start here:mad:
    first of all you said in your post(dont see any point in them at all)well there you go.dont leave it bother you what other people do then.
    why would you call someone you dont know/never chatted to or had the pleasure to be in there company a (scummer).
    get a grip will you.in life you should only like/dislike a person once u had spoken to them and seen what there outlook in life is and what way they treat someone only then can you judge someone.

take me now im not going to judge you as i have never had any dealings with you,but i will say with youre post to me you seem to me you expression to people and life is all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It's hard to believe in this day and age some people still see tattoo's and think, hmm criminal/scumbag/waster or whatever. Almost every second person has tattoos these days.
    And is it only when tattoos are visible that they're "scummers"? what if you were having a great chat with someone, maybe a girl and after a while she rolls up her sleeves and is covered in them, does she then become a scummer?

111005050857349975.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Zombienosh wrote: »
    It's hard to believe in this day and age some people still see tattoo's and think, hmm criminal/scumbag/waster or whatever. Almost every second person has tattoos these days.
    And is it only when tattoos are visible that they're "scummers"? what if you were having a great chat with someone, maybe a girl and after a while she rolls up her sleeves and is covered in them, does she then become a scummer?

111005050857349975.jpg

The fella on the right is far better/healthier looking than the other fella. Not discriminatin', honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Non and no tattoo's are tacky and cheap looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭billyhead

My opinion on this is that I feel people with tattoos all over their body or arms look tacky and is unsightly but if you have a small one that can be easily hidden or a tattoo that means something personnel I don't see what the problem is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Personally if I had the money/time Id be covered in a full Japanese Body suit.
    At the minute though I have 1 full sleeve,half sleeve started,1 on each shoulder,most of my legs covered,wrist and I think thats it.

Im no "scummer" as some people are thinking.
    If you saw me during the day you wouldnt even know I had one tattoo.If you saw me at the weekend its a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Been wanting one for years, have about 3 designs in mind but need to be very sure about them, so not rushing into anything. Want to have a professional job later too so nothing showy. If it wasn't for the stupid stigma around tattoos I'd have a triforce on the back of my hand and a half sleeve Japanese anime!

Have a lot of piercings alright cause they are very easy to take out or hide with a retainer. Nothing on my face though. Would like a lip stud but would leave a hole, which wouldn't look good in a job either :(

Tattoos only look "scummy" if they are on a scumbag. But sure so does a tracksuit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Want to have a professional job later too so nothing showy. If it wasn't for the stupid stigma around tattoos I'd have a triforce on the back of my hand

UV ink Princess Peach.Get anything you want and it heals completely invisible except under blacklight.Works quite well too.A triforce would look quite cool in UV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Was mad for one for years and finally got it done a few weeks ago. Mine is the imperial logo from star wars with roman numerals circling around it. Its all black and at the end of my wrist before my hand. When people ask what it is and I tell then the laugh because I have a star wars logo covering the whole underside of my wrist.

They change pretty quickly though when I explain that the roman numerals are the date my dad died and the logo is there because when he was sent home from the hospice to die the only memories I have of him are watching star wars over and over up in his bed.

That was 25 years ago.

I miss you dad but thanks to my tattoo I think about you every day!

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Was mad for one for years and finally got it done a few weeks ago. Mine is the imperial logo from star wars with roman numerals circling around it. Its all black and at the end of my wrist before my hand. When people ask what it is and I tell then the laugh because I have a star wars logo covering the whole underside of my wrist.

They change pretty quickly though when I explain that the roman numerals are the date my dad died and the logo is there because when he was sent home from the hospice to die the only memories I have of him are watching star wars over and over up in his bed.

That was 25 years ago.

I miss you dad but thanks to my tattoo I think about you every day!

Thats is a brilliant story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thats is a brilliant story.

Cheers. I'll post a pic of the tattoo when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I honestly would love one but im far too cautious to get one without it meaning a great deal. The problem is i dont think ill ever do anything so pivotal in my life that it will warrant a tattoo e.g the military.

So in conclusion, would absolutely love one but will probably never have a subject i felt that strongly about and therefore will likely never get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I don't like them, to be honest. I find them a turn off in a man

sam34 wrote: »
    I don't like them, to be honest. I find them a turn off in a man

Explain that for me.Is it just that you dont like the look of them or is it the "scumbag" association with them.I hear the exact same words a lot ie "I find them a turn off."

Im the opposite.I love tattooed women.My wife has this neck tattoo on the back of her neck that when she has her hair tied back isjust hotter than hell :)

Now if I could only convince her to have two full sleeves done or a full back piece I`d be sorted :)

Explain that for me.Is it just that you dont like the look of them or is it the "scumbag" association with them.I hear the exact same words a lot ie "I find them a turn off."

Im the opposite.I love tattooed women.My wife has this neck tattoo on the back of her neck that when she has her hair tied back isjust hotter than hell :)

Now if I could only convince her to have two full sleeves done or a full back piece I`d be sorted :)

nah, I don't particularly associate them with "scumbags",some of my closest friends have them and my friends aren't scumbags!

I just don't like the look of them , particularly the multicoloured ones. I've honestly never seen one that I liked.

just a matter of personal taste.

nah, I don't particularly associate them with "scumbags",some of my closest friends have them and my friends aren't scumbags!

I just don't like the look of them , particularly the multicoloured ones. I've honestly never seen one that I liked.

just a matter of personal taste.

Thats cool--just wondering.

As for amazing colour tattoos-Check out Mike Devries--his stuff will change your mind about colour tattoos.
    http://www.mdtattoos.com/tattoo-galleries.html
    Check the Hollywood and Animals galleries.I was never into colour until I saw this stuff.

Thats cool--just wondering.

As for amazing colour tattoos-Check out Mike Devries--his stuff will change your mind about colour tattoos.
    http://www.mdtattoos.com/tattoo-galleries.html
    Check the Hollywood and Animals galleries.I was never into colour until I saw this stuff.

good god no, doesn't do anything for me at all.

good god no, doesn't do anything for me at all.

Cant say I didnt try :)

Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I've typical Irish pale skin, fair hair, freckles, etc:(
    Tattoos just wouldn't look anyway appealing on me but each to their own.

On the other hand tattooed girls can look damn haawwwt, I'm thinking SG and the like - no links, definitely NSFW;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Jimoslimos wrote: »

On the other hand tattooed girls can look damn haawwwt, I'm thinking SG and the like - no links, definitely NSFW;)
    *cough slydice special cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Jimoslimos wrote: »

Dunno why on earth you think this would mean they wouldn't look appealing on you. If you like the idea of getting one, put enough time and effort into deciding what you want, the style you want it in and who you want to do it, and you'll have a portable piece of art of your very own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

It's the whole permanent thing that scares me.

I like watches and according to the wife have too many of them, but thing is certain days I like to wear certain watches. I have a particular favorite Mickey Mouse watch which once I could afford it I bought it for myself (always lusted after it) which draws comments ranging from "cool watch" to "what f**king age are you". Anyway finally getting to the point, you see I can change my watch depending on mood and attire which I couldn't do with a tattoo (obviously). I don't know if my whole watch analogy makes sense but what I'm trying to say is I don't think I could put up with the permanency of something so visible.

Much like my Mickey Mouse watch, tastes are individual but also transient. Anyway each to there own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

If you were getting a tattoo, you would probably put a bit more thought into it than a watch though. Personally I would never get something that would date like a cartoon character.

I knew I would never regret my first tattoo as it's my brothers name and a reminder of him when I see it every day. My other tattoos are not as meaningful but still somewhat significant.

You say that some people like your watch, some don't..If you want a tattoo that everybody will like, then you are right not to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I can appreciate the artistic merit and skill (esp such as those in the the link posted above) but I generally find I don't like tattoos (with a small few minor exceptions).

There are far to many tattoos which I find ugly, tacky, skanky, clichéd, faded, and it just ruins the whole idea for me.

Very occacionally I'll see one and think wow that's great but I still don't think I would ever get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I have five. One is a work in progress - it's gonna be a half sleeve. I'd love to have the time, money and good pain threshold to have two full sleeves. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

always wanted a tattoo, dunno why, being into parlors and all that, with friends and so on, and considered every time getting one........ but one question always pops into my head......... im 21 now .............. what will this look like when im 40+ lol or even next week, i know you can get them removed and all now but you dont want to have to do that:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Have 2 and plan on getting chest peace next but eventually getting my sleeves done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Ive always wanted something wrote in Ogham running down my arm. Then cause its not across my arms, they dont have to be that muscely for it to look nice. Only problem is I cant think of anything clever enough to write on it :P Also, its kind of a problem for work (office) that I couldnt cover over it with a short sleeve tshirt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogham

Advertisement