Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First Class on Iarnrod Éireann

• 21-06-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Can someone tell me the difference on going first class on the train than just going standard class.

From Dublin to Cork and return
    Standard Class:€56.00
    First Class: €111.00

Any answers would be great.

Peter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The price plus a bit more leg room! Less seating plus peace and quiet. Sometimes meal service at your seat. To be honest I haven't used 1st class since the MkIVs came into service so I may be out of date with my info. As we are all classified as 3rd class on the line to DG it is not a problem that any of us encounter. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Last time I got a morning train from Dublin to Cork there was a meal service at your seat. There are power sockets at the seats as well. The seats also recline. Its worth it if you have work to do, or you prefer the peace and quiet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

For a long time on most InterCity services, the only real difference between First (or Super Standard) and Standard was that you got curtains and the seats were a different colour (and slightly bigger).

Dublin - Cork has since the mid-1990s had a different (better) CityGold Class and this has continued with the Mark IVs, have never been in it to see though.

Not sure what First Class is like on those 22000s that have it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Is the "meal at request" included in that hefty price? It would want to be....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Seriously, why would anyone bother though at that price. Just drive it!

Aside from there being motorways a lot of the way, I certainly wouldn't spend that much on the diesel needed for the trip. Failing that, get the bus or even fly down (offers may make it cheaper too).

If enough people refused to pay, maybe then they might be forced to drop the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Serge

On morning trains you could have newspaper and train host usually meets the passengers near premier class carriage :)

About meals. I think you can get the same meal in the dining car of that train. Power sockets are located in the end of each standart class carriage, under the last seats, where are luggage departments. One of the standart class cars also designated as quiet zone, I think this is G carriage. There you can enjoy quiet relaxed journey.

IMO you don't get many things for double price of standart class ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First Class is only really worthwhile on Cork-Dublin-Belfast. You get niced seats, extra width, extra legroom, power socket, table service, etc. and it excludes the hoi polloi.

On other services, it seems it only excludes the hoi polloi.

The issue of curtains is up in the air.
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Aside from there being motorways a lot of the way, I certainly wouldn't spend that much on the diesel needed for the trip. Failing that, get the bus or even fly down (offers may make it cheaper too).
    You forget the cost of the vehicle, tolls, inability to eat or use computers or the toilet while moving and better abilty make phone calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Seriously, why would anyone bother though at that price. Just drive it!

If enough people refused to pay, maybe then they might be forced to drop the prices.

You are joking aren't you? CIE/IE would be delighted if people stopped using the service as they could then withdraw it. Rest assured that even with the entire rail network shut-down CIE/IE would lose the same if not more in redundancies/golden handshakes/ consultants to advise on the shut-down etc.etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

You are joking aren't you? CIE/IE would be delighted if people stopped using the service as they could then withdraw it. Rest assured that even with the entire rail network shut-down CIE/IE would lose the same if not more in redundancies/golden handshakes/ consultants to advise on the shut-down etc.etc :D

Im reading a lot of crap here.

Drive it if you have a decent car and if you are considering paying 111euro, then you should have a decent car!

Intercity rail in Ireland is a joke and cannot be compared to any other country. The concept of first class, meals, tables, curtains, power sockets and trigger happy smiling "hosts" is irreleavent because the train takes too long. Furthermore getting to Heuston for the feckin train will take ages as Dublins traffic is still a victim of poor road design etc etc.

If the high powered business sector in Ireland wants to claw its way out of recession, then it won't do it sitting on a slow, badly built train, serving poor overpriced food and typing away on a laptop thats charged from a "personalized" socket, while the shake rattle and roll of the train means you miss half the keys anyway. Nope. Our way out of recession is along the lovely motorways that we just managed to get in good times, while the railway lads were rebuilding the network to 1960s European standards.

I know its hard to digest, but try Gaviscon. It works better than CIE train. Thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Travelled 1st class to Cork ( well Mallow ) once on the new train . I took advantage of an offer for 12 euro to upgrade , just to see what you get.

It is more comfortable ( slightly ) . You do get food service to your seat ( which you pay for ). You get your cup of tea in china ( which is quite nice to be honest )
    The seats to recline ( about 2 inches )
    Hard to tell if there is more legroom , I have never found legroom an issue on the train and I am 6ft .

No it's not worth 100 odd euros to Cork , but then again I think the standard fares are a rip off too.

The train is more relaxing , and to DWCommuter , if you are working on your presentation or something , you can't do that while driving . The train is not so rough you can't type or anythng.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Paying €111.00 for a train ticket to Cork is insane, for the same price you could fly right across Europe in comfort with Ryanair.

As my brother once said at a CIE ticket office when quoted a ridiculous fare, "Mam, I only want a ticket, I don't want to buy the fu**ing train".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

Davidth88 wrote: »
    The train is more relaxing , and to DWCommuter , if you are working on your presentation or something , you can't do that while driving . The train is not so rough you can't type or anythng.

This used to be my defence of IC trains too but in reality, the train is so slow that whatever work you have to do, can be done after you finish driving/flying/taking the bus. You'll still get more done.

Advertisement