Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycott our government, start a new one.

• 20-04-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Seriously. How feasable would it be? We get a group of intelligent men and women together to manage our country as our new government, starting ASAP.
    In the meantime we just completely boycott anything our current government says or does and direct all our taxes and revenue to our newly appointed government.
    It's so far fetched that it's silly but lets discuss it anyway.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,373 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Enda and his team are doing the best they can given the cards they have been dealt.

I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Markdub2000

Removed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

They haven't done what we voted them in for ... Telling Europe to fcuk off

Did they say that?

And on the OP given our love affair with populist policies of any kind it would be an unmitigated disaster. The Swiss have direct democracy and just voted not to have another two weeks holidays a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cawk n bawllz

Enda and his band of merry men have come through on none of their promises, ignore all of our needs and protests and we do absolutely nothing about it because the Irish people are just too sedate.

Enda and his band of merry men have come through on none of their promises, ignore all of our needs and protests and we do absolutely nothing about it because the Irish people are just too sedate.

Sigh... So why don't you get their election manifesto and show us that is true? It's isn't true, but go for it. And BTW ignoring a protest that had a few thousand people at it is quite easy I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

In the meantime we just completely boycott anything our current government says or does and direct all our taxes and revenue to our newly appointed government.

I think some lads tried that out around 1920 or so. Started off well enough, but in the long run it became a bit of a disaster. People these days think perhaps the previous regime couldn't be much worse.

@Francie Barrett
    Enda and his team are doing the best they can given the cards they have been dealt.

Ah the poor lad. Shure, he must cry himself asleep on the bed of money he gets paid for doing the best he can given the cards he has been dealt.

Honestly - how do these excuses differ from anything Fianna Fail might have offered? Weren't they doing the best they could have done given the cards they were dealt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Seriously. How feasable would it be? We get a group of intelligent men and women together to manage our country as our new government, starting ASAP.

How would we choose this group of intelligent men and women?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pray do tell what magic economic policies these clever replacements would magically implement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Pat Rabbitte put it well yesterday 'We got a new Govt but we didn't get a new economy'.

We can source these experts over the next four years and then vote them in - democratically.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭paddy0090

meglome wrote: »
    Sigh... So why don't you get their election manifesto and show us that is true? It's isn't true, but go for it. And BTW ignoring a protest that had a few thousand people at it is quite easy I'd imagine.

??????

Sarkozy promised a rupture with the past. By most if not all accounts he didn't deliver.

Clegg promised new politics, turned out same as the politics.

Both Kenny and Martin(both teachers like de Valera and Jack Lynch before them) proimised new politics and the status quo remains.

The best was Obama. Change was a slogan and he was the first black POTUS. Accepting his rule is limited by division of power but what has he really changed?

They ccampaign in poetry and govern in prose(by the margins). But I see little appetite for such governent byt the govt, or the wider public.

• Advertisement

paddy0090 wrote: »
    ??????

Sarkozy promised a rupture with the past. By most if not all accounts he didn't deliver.

Clegg promised new politics, turned out same as the politics.

Both Kenny and Martin(both teachers like de Valera and Jack Lynch before them) proimised new politics and the status quo remains.

The best was Obama. Change was a slogan and he was the first black POTUS. Accepting his rule is limited by division of power but what has he really changed?

They ccampaign in poetry and govern in prose(by the margins). But I see little appetite for such governent byt the govt, or the wider public.

Because we in Ireland won't elect people unless they make us all sorts of promises I'm not remotely surprised when they don't get carried out. However I'm only highlighting that saying the current government have not carried out any of their elections promises is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Because we in Ireland won't elect people unless they make us all sorts of promises I'm not remotely surprised when they don't get carried out. However I'm only highlighting that saying the current government have not carried out any of their elections promises is incorrect.

We all know politicians lie and spin, yet punish the politicians we voted for, wait for it, for lying and spinning,

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭paddy0090

In the same vein of saying that FF didn't carry out it's election promises is incorrect. FF may well have done the same as FG if they'd have managed to get elected.

maybe it's a good thing that none of the high profile promises of the campaign have been followed thru. Some of them they botched(the committee ref, the household charge) Failed on upward only rent reviews; withrawing on legal reform, little in health care bar some small closures and hard to tell what the hell is going on in education( 6months after a major policy shift deadline has expired) though lots of sentiment.

The jobs initiative was a farce; as was resinstating the min wage. Every other policy gets trotted out with TINA. They haven't taken full ownership of the situation and continue to attribute current policy to previous FF govt.

Stating that FG/Lab haven't delivered on promises is perfectly correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    How would we choose this group of intelligent men and women?

Get them from boards.ie :p All the answers seem to be here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Isn't this what the election just about 1 year ago was about?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cawk n bawllz

K-9 wrote: »
    We all know politicians lie and spin, yet punish the politicians we voted for, wait for it, for lying and spinning,

I totally agree with you. Our system of electing leaders has huge fundamental problems.
    The elections are just a popularity contest. People vote for the yes man who can shout the loudest.
    The people best suited to deal with this country's problems are realists but being a realist makes your views look pessimistic and nobody's going to vote for pessimists.
    Politicians don't do what's best for this country. They do what makes them look good while doing long term harm to the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

It is so far-fetched that anyone seriously discussing it should be taken away by the men in white coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

paddy0090 wrote: »
    Stating that FG/Lab haven't delivered on promises is perfectly correct!

:rolleyes: It's not correct at all

Please show me their election manifesto where they "promised x, y and z when they entered a COALITION".

If you cannot show me that, then please be quiet. It is simply 100% wrong to look at single-party Government manifestos and compare it to a coalition.

The people rejected both single party manifestos and gave a mandate for a coalition, meaning a compromise :mad:

Seriously, I don't like many of the policies but it is simply daft to be still ranting on about election manifestos, no party campaigns on promises based in the eventuality of being in a coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

:rolleyes: It's not correct at all

Please show me their election manifesto where they "promised x, y and z when they entered a COALITION".

If you cannot show me that, then please be quiet. It is simply 100% wrong to look at single-party Government manifestos and compare it to a coalition.

The people rejected both single party manifestos and gave a mandate for a coalition, meaning a compromise :mad:

Seriously, I don't like many of the policies but it is simply daft to be still ranting on about election manifestos, no party campaigns on promises based in the eventuality of being in a coalition.
    Are you saying we were not mislead? Not a penny more I say. Quick, out with the smoke screen.

mbur wrote: »
    Are you saying we were not mislead? Not a penny more I say. Quick, out with the smoke screen.

So you've got one statement there, which personally I didn't think they'd be able to do since the previous government had signed on the dotted line. Notwithstanding this would have saved us several billion, it's still a small part of what we owe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

We get a group of intelligent men and women together to manage our country as our new government, starting ASAP.

I wish you luck. If you can actually get a group of people together that care about politics, and find a way for them to work together on something political... you might be able to get a few candidates elected in the next election. And if you go for that, then seriously, I wish you the best of luck and hope you succeed.

But there is no easy way.

Advertisement