Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J1 to Seattle

• 19-01-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of doing a J1 to Seattle this coming summer, wondering if anybody here has been there and what there experiance was like,
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LimerickLad89

I spent a summer In Vancouver 2 years ago and went down to Seattle for a hurling weekend. It rained for some of the weekend in late May so the weather mightn't be as good as elsewhere. There is a small number of Irish there and we got on great with them so they could help you out..

Their website is:
    http://www.seattlegaels.com

I like the idea of somewhere different though. My friend and I are thinking of Austin Texas..Somewhere new with very few Irish and a good drinking town!!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I too am hoping to go to Seattle later this year , but on the 12 month J1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Seattle is amazing! I must say I didn't think I was going to enjoy it as much as I did - but it was unreal.

I've been back and forth since my first visit and I would happily answer any quesitions you have.

Job wise - as cheesy as it sounds, go try and work in the Space Needle. I did and it was the most fun I've had in a job. They treat you like royalty, get close to $13 p/h guaranteed 8hr shifts - Double time for OT and best of all, you get free food all day in the restaurant (which is ridiculously expensive otherwise). I got to spend most of my time there talking to americans about how I was Irish etc etc. It was a dream job to be honest.

There are plenty of places to live in seattle - but they can be expensive. My advice is check craigslist for places as some parts of Seattle can become available for pretty cheap as college students return home.

I loved the U-District, fantastic for students, bars, booze and food. I lived over in Alki beach the summer just gone, and it was heaven. Beach on my doorstep, plenty of bars (irish bars with alot of jobs going too) and a great atmosphere. There were a good few football pitches etc around too. Getting across to downtown was easy as there was a few buses and the water taxi.

Jobs - aslong as you can work it into the application for a job that you have all relevant paperwork and visas necessary to work there - it can make the whole process alot easier. I used to include photocopies of my papers just so they could see straight away that I was legit.

Hope this was of some help - I'd be happy to help out more if you need me to.

Edit-if you are going to work in a bar or restaurant, you will need a food handlers permit and a alcohols servers permit. Costs about $30 and takes an hour or two to do - its ridiculously easy and well worth it. I'd also suggest getting in touch with LEVY - they do all the bartending etc at the Football, Soccer and Concerts in Seattle. Great minimum wage, big shifts and great tips. Friend of mine was earning roughly $150 in just tips alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

I lived in Seattle for three years and I am planning to return there this summer. So, if you have any questions, please feel free to send me a PM.

I would recommend that people get familiar with Craigslist.org:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/

CL is a great site to find jobs, apartments, roommates, and furniture. You can look through the personals for a couple of laughs when you are bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Walnut.

Any of you guys heading out to Seattle this summer?

Leaving on the 2nd of June here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Walnut. wrote: »
    Any of you guys heading out to Seattle this summer?

Leaving on the 2nd of June here.
    Im hoping to head there in Sept/Oct on either a h1-b visa or 12 month j1. Can't wait! It's such a great city :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 laa03

Hey, Im heading on a J1 to Seattle on the 2nd June too till the end of Sept by myself cuz I got a good internship. Hoping there'll be a few Irish to get a bit of socializing going.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Tockman

Ya heading out the 7th of June. Will probably try and get accommodation in university district. going by Craigslist it looks cheaper and easier to get accommodation for short term there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Now, are you actually working in Seattle or will you be in Redmond, Bellevue, or any of the surrounding cities? If you don't have a car, those places can be a beast to get to during the commuting hours. If you are lucky and working for one of the software or internet companies, you may get lucky and have access to a shuttle bus.

As for socializing, try:

http://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords=Irish+Culture&op=search

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any Irish groups in the Seattle area, but you can always find other groups to join that interest you.

This might be good:

http://www.meetup.com/globalseattle/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I lived in Seattle for 3 months a number of years ago because of work. I absolutely loved it and didn't want to come back. I still miss it. Admittedly I was lucky in that my company paid for my apartment and everything, but still, I absolutely loved it there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement