Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FF - are they going to wither and die?

Options
  • 27-02-2011 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭

Look at who the TDs are that they manage to get elected?

The majority are second-rate anonymous backbenchers who kept their heads down. Those that are known are irretrievably connected to the meltdown in Ireland.

Is this what will reinvigorate FF?
    I don't think so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Oh, the wishful thinking of the optimist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

No. But, I do think they have a much, much longer and far more difficult road to travel than they realise.

I mean, less transfer friendly than Sinn Fein, that's bad.

But, it's hard to kill a bad thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Syferus wrote: »
    Oh, the wishful thinking of the optimist.
    :D

But look at them -
    O Fearghail, Dooley, Collins, Calleary, O Cuiv, Smith, O Dea then clapped out oldtimers like Lenihan and Martin whose credibility is shot.

johngalway wrote: »
    No. But, I do think they have a much, much longer and far more difficult road to travel than they realise.

I mean, less transfer friendly than Sinn Fein, that's bad.

But, it's hard to kill a bad thing...

Yes, they do have a very long road to travel if they are to survive.
    If Labour don't go in with FG (which I hope is the outcome) then I think they will be set back even further and maybe the back of them will be broken.

The majority of FFers returned so far will have to up their game by the order of magnitudes if they are to make any impression nationally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I think the lack of money in the FF coffers with which to run a campaign will be telling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

gambiaman wrote: »
    Look at who the TDs are that they manage to get elected?

The majority are second-rate anonymous backbenchers who kept their heads down. Those that are known are irretrievably connected to the meltdown in Ireland.

Is this what will reinvigorate FF?
    I don't think so.

Will the FF party survive? There are so many variables and unknowns that it is impossible to know. First of all will be the make up of the new government. Will FG go for coalition with Labour or be backed by independents? Will Micheal Martin be the leader of the opposition? Will the new government be able to get a handle on the economy? Will the global economy pick up? Will FFs rebranding exercise be successful? Among a host of other variables both known and unknown.

IMO FF will survive until the next election which will be make or break for them. If they do not improve seat numbers then, then the party is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

FF will survive . .

If nothing else the ignorance of the electorate will ensure that . .

Do people really think they have rid themselves of "those kind of politicians" ? I know one who is a first time TD who is most certainly the kind of politician associated with the kind of non desired kind that people hoped finished with FF . .

By the way, when I said ignorance of electorate , I meant the ignorance of peopel who felt voting for other parties meant we would automatically get a better politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Another way of looking at it is they'll have a lot of established and experienced candidates to run in the next local elections. Don't underestimate how many councillors that could bring in.

If they can re-establish themselves at local level they'll survive. They took two big kickings in the last two local elections.

Will the FF party survive? There are so many variables and unknowns that it is impossible to know. First of all will be the make up of the new government. Will FG go for coalition with Labour or be backed by independents? Will Micheal Martin be the leader of the opposition? Will the new government be able to get a handle on the economy? Will the global economy pick up? Will FFs rebranding exercise be successful? Among a host of other variables both known and unknown.

IMO FF will survive until the next election which will be make or break for them. If they do not improve seat numbers then, then the party is finished.

Yes, interesting times ahead.
    My point about unknown backbenchers being returned stands though - anonymous parishers by the look and sound of them, not ideal to supposedly lead an opposition and raise a national profile for the New FF.
    That and PeterIan Staker's point - no mon, no fun.

Another way of looking at it is they'll have a lot of established and experienced candidates to run in the next local elections. Don't underestimate how many councillors that could bring in.

If they can re-establish themselves at local level they'll survive. They took two big kickings in the last two local elections.

that'll be an interesting one to watch alright.
    the best way to get back in is work on the ground alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

a few points on this:

-FF were decimated in the council elections. The councils elect part of the seanad (which Kenny intends to do away with anyways). Couple this with today's obliterations in the Dáil and that is a party crippled on all three levels, there's no real base to the party now

-First time and young voters want nothing to do with the soldiers of destiny. FF are retaining the same support base that they've always had but it's dying off

-Combine a dwindling support, little support among first time and younger voters and a party severely weakened from the grassroots up and the signs aren't great.

Drumpot wrote: »
    FF will survive . .

If nothing else the ignorance of the electorate will ensure that . .

Do people really think they have rid themselves of "those kind of politicians" ? I know one who is a first time TD who is most certainly the kind of politician associated with the kind of non desired kind that people hoped finished with FF . .

By the way, when I said ignorance of electorate , I meant the ignorance of peopel who felt voting for other parties meant we would automatically get a better politician.

There'll be loads of that type elected unfortunately - always wil be the best that can be done is to reform political system from bottom up.
    I've seen quite a few FGers who should not be in the Dail at all - useless gombeens as much as the FFers booted out.

that'll be an interesting one to watch alright.
    the best way to get back in is work on the ground alright.

And crucially, if we go through the FF votes I bet we'll find they are localised. Not enough to cross the line in GE but enough to top the poll in a LE. Take a guy like Peter Power in Limerick, it's not inconceivable he could outpoll the SF candidate in his ward (Ward One) if most of his votes are from the same ward that the SF candidate is in (which I suspect they are) despite the SF candidate outpolling him considerably yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

They won't hit 70 seats for at least two decades in my opinion. Anything over 40 next time will be a recovery of sorts but back to the days of old no.

They have the best grassroots organisation and large youth membership still. I think they have lost a large section of the populations vote and emigrants votes who come back here, forever, but they won't die.

spiralism wrote: »
    a few points on this:

-FF were decimated in the council elections. The councils elect part of the seanad (which Kenny intends to do away with anyways). Couple this with today's obliterations in the Dáil and that is a party crippled on all three levels, there's no real base to the party now

I'd like to believe you but I bet FF do surprisingly in the next LE. The Government parties tend to suffer in the LE's, iirc.

Course, a lot depends on what reforms FG actually bring in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

its a straight swap

FG will turn into FF mark 2 , to be in power until everything gets better again ( 10 years )

FF will turn into FG mark 2 to be in opposition for the this and the next election

and so the dance continues

I'd like to believe you but I bet FF do surprisingly in the next LE. The Government parties tend to suffer in the LE's, iirc.

Course, a lot depends on what reforms FG actually bring in.

Next LE is 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i just think of cockroaches

Next LE is 2014?

Think so. It's not that far away and you can be sure FF will be working towards it very soon. Remember, you only need about 1,000 votes to get a seat in most LE constituencies, that's well within the range of a lot of the eliminated FF'ers, if their votes are local.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

not a hope...

they'll probably lead the next government when everything starts going mad at FG/Lab for letting Ireland default...

People forget quickly..

there's no chance in hell that FF will disappear - they will be where Labour usually are after a terrible showing in the polls.. FF won't disappear and fizzle out..

they'll regroup and will win the next election in Ireland..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Without the big corporate donations of the past, where will FF get its support, and money?

I'd say there will not be a big overall majority party ever again in Irish politics at national level. Whatever comes out will be the result of coalitions, agreements and alliances. Elections will probably happen more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

if the next government goes 5 yrs and ff arent in government after the next election, then they are dead. they are broke already and they'll have no sweets to dish out to their supporters so big business backers will move to fg unless the corporate donations law is implemented.

an early indicator of ff's future is the presidential election, if they do well in that then we know for certain the irish public has the memory of goldfish.

as regards the next dail. most of what is being reelected for ff is useless lobby fodder, they only have a few decent communicators and they are all tainted with the economic collapse. they probably will have no women in the dail and no td under 30

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

At a time when they are being pilloried from all directions they still managed to obtain 17% of 1st preference vote, which equates to 29 seats. They managed their votes extremely poorly and fared poorly from transfers so they won't get anywhere near 29 seats but that level of vote goes to show that they will always have a strong core support.

The days of FF having 80+ seats are hard to envisage in the next 10 years but they will be a force in the next election. FF are ingrained into the political fabric of this country, they will always be a significant factor in the running of our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Benito

Funny but, I was thinking if our new Government don't pull a good rabbit out of the hat and we sink into a morass of debt. It will be immaterial who recovers and gets in next time. Was dissapointed Mattews went with FG, very dissapointed Sommerville failed to get elected but, on VB, Mattew said he did not care to be a back-bencher. Isn't going to be a George Lee. He can resign and still be a deputy, My interpetation. I can smell the sewage from where I live and work Not looking with any great hope for Endas' stewardship. Sorry if this seems too negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I think it is fair to say that the FF core vote is made up of older people , or uneducated people .

You can't fool these people forever either

Next election 4-7% for FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fianna Fail is sat on a demographic time bomb, add the funding issues and its not beyond the bounds of the possible that the party will be abandoned and a new organisation created, the name Fianna Fial may not have that much of a future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

mike65 wrote: »
    Fianna Fail is sat on a demographic time bomb, add the funding issues and its not beyond the bounds of the possible that the party will be abandoned and a new organisation created, the name Fianna Fial may not have that much of a future.
    indeed it does not :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:p

Folk memory - their legacy will take years to be "overlooked" and every other party can trade on that
    Critical mass - not enough TDs or councillors
    They may not have enough TDs to stop SF and others forming a technical group that could be the official opposition
    Internal battles
    Final reports from certain Tribunals yet to be released
    Previously unknown scandals might come to light.
    Grass roots is old and disheartened
    The FF working class vote has been lost to the hard left and may be very hard to get back.

They have completely lost the most populous part of the country - Dublin, Meath, Louth, Kildare and Wicklow.
    2 TDs returned out of 69 - the land of 3hour commutes to whatever work is left, families moved out from their homesteads to overpriced houses to buy into the FF dream, now crippled socially and financially and feeling abandoned, a lifetime of debt ahead of them.

That will be hard to forget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Benito

raymon wrote: »
    I think it is fair to say that the FF core vote is made up of older people , or uneducated people .

You can't fool these people forever either

Next election 4-7% for FF

You might be forgetting the gene-pool FF who stood as independant and got in. Still tribal votes (and yes we have in the Dublin areas as well!) When you get a surge, your first instinct is to consolidate so, get re-elected and minimise vote loss. First priority of everyone who has been elected. Bad news is on the way. Pain and cut-backs, continued emigration and job losses. 70% poll? next local election will be very important to see. I am not optimistic but, glad to see FF culled.

Advertisement