Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smart phone using my credit!

Options
  • 03-01-2013 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

Got a new android samsung gts583..looking at my recent history seems to be mobile activity happening without my permission

29 Dec 2012 23:30 00:00:00 74Kb Mobile Internet €0
    29 Dec 2012 23:35 00:00:00 2211Kb Mobile Internet €0.6423

Used the wifi a bit but not really using any 3g internet.
    Prehaps I enabled something inadvertly any ideas what i need to switch off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

notnumber wrote: »
    Got a new android samsung gts583..looking at my recent history seems to be mobile activity happening without my permission

29 Dec 2012 23:30 00:00:00 74Kb Mobile Internet €0
    29 Dec 2012 23:35 00:00:00 2211Kb Mobile Internet €0.6423

Used the wifi a bit but not really using any 3g internet.
    Prehaps I enabled something inadvertly any ideas what i need to switch off?
    Any Apps auto updating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

its a new phone,haven't even looked at apps yet but looking in the apps menu apps like AdService (sounds useful!) Samsung Apps ,Samsung Push Service are displayed and also quite a few 'services' running in that menu..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Disable mobile data completely or buy a data addon. If the wifi signal gets weak the phone auto switches to 3g unless it is off. Go to settings>Networks and looks for mobile networks. Untick to enable I think will do it.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Strikes me theses apps should be off by default....I switched off use data packets altogether till I get more information.Its cost a few euros whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Ya this is really annoying. It happened me a few years ago when I go my first smartphone and I was on prepay without a data plan. Back then the phone didn't have an option to turn off data so it cost me a lot of money before I switched contracts. It used to really annoy me that I'd go to make a call or send a txt and I'd have no credit as the data used it all without telling me. The best way for you to use your phone is have data turned off all the time and if your away from wifi turn it on if you need to do something and then turn it off again.

The other option is to buy a data package. You can get them on prepay or as you own the phone you could get a 30 day sim only contract for about 20 euro a month. These are very good value and your not signing up for a long one or two year contract.

• Advertisement
Advertisement