Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local Elections 2014: What issues will you be raising with candidates on the door?

• 07-03-2014 2:39pm
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The local elections are coming up on May 23rd. So with that in mind, what are the Meath issues important to you and that you would like to see the candidates address? Over the course of the campaign Boards is going to try to engage with local election candidates and run Q&A sessions with them, so this is your first chance to tell them what you'll be asking them should they call to your door.

Obviously there's potential for this thread to become contentious, so a couple of ground rules:

NO politician bashing - this isn't about slagging off X candidate or Y party, it's about getting proper discussion going on what issues face Meath and what the candidates can expect to be grilled on.

NO politicians - feel free to keep an eye on this thread, but you'll get your chance later. This thread is for your potential future constituents only.

Political affiliations - if you're going to be involved in campaigning for a candidate or in the organisation of any party/group's campaign, you must declare this in your first post in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Tolls, why does anyone living on the wrong side of the M50 get shafted? Varadkar literally stuck two fingers up at the county earlier this year when asked about pay as you go, I have no doubt this was for his constituency instead of the good in general (parish pump politicing at it's worst), I'd love to hear what our local FG reps have to say about that.

I'd love to hear some views on the new cinema being shelved in Navan and why there's little or no industrial development plans for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Jobs and crime. None of one and too much of the other.

I've lived in Navan for the last 9 years, and I have yet to see an employer of any great size come to this town. First it was PFPC who were supposed to be creating 700 jobs, then we had the Quinn Direct announcement, also 700+ jobs. Neither was delivered. I can think of no other town of a similar size with so few major employers, and with such a reliance on Dublin for employment. The local politicians have failed to deliver, they just do not have the negotiation skills necessary to attract large employers.

I recently witnessed an assault on a Sunday afternoon on my road in broad daylight, and TBF, I have stopped goping into town on Thursdays and Fridays because of the hooded thugs that seemt o be a constant ferature of the streetlife of the town. There seems to be an epidemic of youth crime in Navan, and I can say that as someone who works with young people. There seems to be no plan, no communication between agencies, and no proposals to tackle the persistant anti-social behaviour of a substantial sub-group of the towns young population. Looking forward to hearing what the prospective candidates will offer with this.

Genuinely fearful for my own children living, working and enjoying being out in Navan safely in the future....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I agree with the hooded youths. Johnstown "mafia". I've seen around 100 hanging around the Supervalu and I can't recall the last time I saw a police patrol car round the area.

I was burgled in the summer and then 3 apartments in my block were burgled at the weekend.

In a nutshell the crime element needs to be addressed.

Oh and litter and fly tipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I agree crime needs to be dealt with .....spate of burglaries in my area including the local priest ...massive turn out for the neighbourhood watch meeting ...2 hours of buy a new door / buy a gps locator for your car .....5 mins spent on what's going on with the local garda who said its Romanians (his words) nothing else he didn't elaborate

Also the facilities problem in navan/johnstown I cannot understand why they spent money on cycle paths but yet no youth clubs, no play area for baby's, no skate park etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Employment - Why can't more businesses/companies be enticed to set up in Navan or Trim? It's always Dublin!
    Tolls - As bladespin stated...why does someone in Kells have to pay 2 tolls to commute to the city?
    Roads - Some of the rural roads are an absolute disgrace with pot holes, no lighting, or paths.
    Transport - Train service to Navan (probably not in my lifetime!)? More reliable bus service at peak times.
    Broadband - Need better broadband infrastructure across the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Gardai.seems a lack off Gardai about Navan, either walking or in the car, despite the increase in population increase.
    JOBS..Nothing happening in the town, just a major commuter town.
    xStealth Taxes Property charges, water charges, less disposable income, poor childcare facilities, wheres the money gone?
    Bankers.No one taken to task over the irresponsible lending to people during the boom, and the corruption and greed of many in power!!

I will also be requesting the support of the canvassers for the live streaming of Co Council meetings every month on the Meath Co Co website, so that we can see for ourselves the dealings of the councillors, and who is absenting themselves from particular votes!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Can't argue with any of the above, especially jobs, crime and transport.

One thing I will definitely ask anyone who calls to my door is wtf are they doing with the property tax, because the paths and roads seem to be as bad if not worse than they ever were, there's trees/hedges etc. that need cutting, blocked drains all over the place. The more money they get, the less work seems to be done.

Finally I'll be asking are they not embarrassed to actually charge for parking on the old swimming pool site in Trim across from the playground? Between the surface (or lack thereof), the muck, potholes and broken glass around the recycle bins, I can't believe they have the gall to charge for parking in there.

Going to be more spin than a washing machine, as we saw with current Govt, theres been a alot of broken promises, so till i actually see things happening, id believe nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

PauloMN wrote: »
    Can't argue with any of the above, especially jobs, crime and transport.

One thing I will definitely ask anyone who calls to my door is wtf are they doing with the property tax, because the paths and roads seem to be as bad if not worse than they ever were, there's trees/hedges etc. that need cutting, blocked drains all over the place. The more money they get, the less work seems to be done.

Finally I'll be asking are they not embarrassed to actually charge for parking on the old swimming pool site in Trim across from the playground? Between the surface (or lack thereof), the muck, potholes and broken glass around the recycle bins, I can't believe they have the gall to charge for parking in there.

I think we all know where the property tax is going, and it certainly isn't going back into roads and foothpaths!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

If any of the incumbents actually bother to knock on the door I want to know when are the county council going to move on a bylaw that allows the Litter Warden to do something about the flytipping of domestic rubbish on private property/agricultural land and why do they feel my locality is not a blackspot.

I also want to know why the roads around us are being patched instead of resurfaced as the feeble attempt at patching doesn't last jigtime.

one knock on the door so far .....didn't say anything to interest me at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Roads- Some don't exist any more with the amount of shoddy repairs/potholes on them
    Fly tipping- Fed up of seeing rubbish and general tat blowing about in the bogs and boreens. It's sad to say the least
    Broadband- I was told one summer that broadband would be available on my road by the end of the summer. That was 2004

They'll be lucky if I don't get ticked off and run them away with their tail between their legs. Too many times I've been lied to so many times that I've given up any hope a long long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

dgt wrote: »
    Roads- Some don't exist any more with the amount of shoddy repairs/potholes on them
    Fly tipping- Fed up of seeing rubbish and general tat blowing about in the bogs and boreens. It's sad to say the least

I've lost a hoodcap to the potholes up by Tara disguised by a puddle.

Fly tipping, there's a field by my front door to my apartment, I'm ground floor with my own entrance. I swear I came home one day and there were nearly the contents of someones house and garage right outside.
    I've stopped walking my dogs in that field because of the amount of glass, toilets seats, bits of bike and all other kinds of debris just chucked across the wall from estates on the other side. Its shameful.

But thats what happens when you make people pay for services like bin collection and going to the tip.
    Lived in the UK and used to be able to just chuck any odd ends in the car and take them down to the local tip and recycle on a saturday morning. No charge.

Also on that note, how about dog poo bins? All well and good complaining about dog poo everywhere but the odd bin to dispose of it would be most helpful.
    Balrath is a prime example, a big sign to pick up poo. Pick up the poo and wandered around for ages and not a single bin available. Considering they also have picnic tables there you would think they would have at least one bin?

Maybe I'm just deluded. Seems like more taxes are coming in by the day and less services.
    Rant over.

im sure we will all be promised the moon and stars...its the ideal opportunity to vent your frustration at the people involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jelfs

I am from Trim, but helping Alan Lawes in Navan with his election campaign, just wanted to say that I am stunned learning of some of the issues going on in Navan, and things being ignored by council. One of the completely mad things is the 5 million spent on that Quinn building and now it's just lying there. There doesn't appear to be any effort to draw a company in to this location, the facility is ready to go. It could be a huge employment getter.

jelfs wrote: »
    I am from Trim, but helping Alan Lawes in Navan with his election campaign, just wanted to say that I am stunned learning of some of the issues going on in Navan, and things being ignored by council. One of the completely mad things is the 5 million spent on that Quinn building and now it's just lying there. There doesn't appear to be any effort to draw a company in to this location, the facility is ready to go. It could be a huge employment getter.

Well, the building was bought to house the different functions of the county council, with the different sections moving in over the summer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Casual and non scientific observation from the posters around Trim and surrounding areas that there are very few female candidates in the local elections. I don't particularly like the idea of mandated quotas but it's disappointing at the same time that either (a) there wasn't interest shown, or (b) potential female candidates didn't have party support to be put forward.

Eh, except in fairness for Sally Rogers who appears to be looking for your #1 vote :-/ (shifty lookin is that wan ;))

To be fair nearly all the candidates I wouldn't trust with my dinner money let alone a town budget .....

I have had 2.. the usual spin, to be fair they are representing Independents, but none the less, they said nothing to convince me its one big circus!!

• Advertisement

In nearly 30 years of voting have always given a preference to one or more female candidates. There are only two women in the Navan LEA field that I could give a preference to this time, and both of them present a problem to me because of their party membership. Hard to know with less than 4 weeks to go who I will vote for.
    Edit: There appears to be a third female candidate running for FG - Niamh Tuite - but I cannot find out much about her.....

Tommy Reilly seems to be on every lamp post in Navan, and has a massive hoarding up at the roundabout in Knockumber. Seems Tommy has created 3000 jobs in Navan, and is against flouride in the water. Would love to know where Tommy got this figure, and why he is opposed to fluoride. Has he been on boards.ie Conspiracy Theories DB recently?

Very poor choice this time round, no wonder there's such voter apathy in the country:
    Certainly would struggle to vote for any political party on the card with any enthusiasm and the independents (the very few I've seen) seem pretty limited, some just seem to have picked google topics for their policy.

bladespin wrote: »
    Very poor choice this time round, no wonder there's such voter apathy in the country:
    Certainly would struggle to vote for any political party on the card with any enthusiasm and the independents (the very few I've seen) seem pretty limited, some just seem to have picked google topics for their policy.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sparko

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Also on that note, how about dog poo bins? All well and good complaining about dog poo everywhere but the odd bin to dispose of it would be most helpful.
    Balrath is a prime example, a big sign to pick up poo. Pick up the poo and wandered around for ages and not a single bin available. Considering they also have picnic tables there you would think they would have at least one bin?

I was taken by surprise by this a few weeks ago when I brought the dog for a walk there. I expected a bin either at the car park or at the picnic area, but no joy. Seems ridiculous that there isn't one.

Certainly seems to be a shortage of litter bins outside town centres and an over abundance of traffic lights for some reason lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Tommy Reilly seems to be on every lamp post in Navan, and has a massive hoarding up at the roundabout in Knockumber. Seems Tommy has created 3000 jobs in Navan, and is against flouride in the water. Would love to know where Tommy got this figure, and why he is opposed to fluoride. Has he been on boards.ie Conspiracy Theories DB recently?
    I'd love to know how he can get the new hospital to navan, take fluoride out of water and stop pylons?! No councillor is really able to do that, are they?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Reason for no bins is simple. If they provide them, they'll have to empty them, which costs, and once the local Eastern Europeans (among others) discover them, they'll fill them with their domestic waste very happily rather than pay to have the rubbish collected. Used to see it all the time locally, people walking down for the bus in the morning would bring their bread bags of domestic waste and dump it in (or by if it was full) the bin near the bus stop.

So, the simple solution is that as well as the poop scoop, take a bag with you, and take responsibility for your mess, take it home with you and dispose of it with the rest of your waste.

Not sure it's worth voting any more, most of the local decisions are made by the county manager or by budget constraints imposed by central government. Then of course there's the problem that South East Meath is seen by Navan as a blot on the landscape that they'd prefer didn't exist, which is why there's damn all services in this area.

One of the local councillors arranged a recycling/waste collection day recently, the queue to get in was back out on to the main road due to the number of people attending, that should tell the people in MCC that their service in this area is not meeting the need, but we've known that for a long time.

Won't make any difference who gets voted in, the same old cronyism and quiet off the record deals will mean that things will carry on exactly as they have for the last nearly 100 years.

I hoped things would change after the last general election, along with a lot of other people. It didn't, much was promised, and very little has been delivered in respect of real lasting fundamental reform of so much that's wrong with "the system".

If I was 20 years younger, and didn't have 2 children with their own homes and families here, I'd be gone, the list of things that are fundamentally broken and beyond quick fixes is bigger than I have time or (bluntly) life left to try and change.

As for political options?

FF... We've seen what they are capable of, do we really want a repeat?
    FG/Labour... Promised much, delivered? Not much, not in terms of real sustainable change. Not all their fault, they inherited a very sh***y stick from the previous crowd, but they could have done more, and haven't.
    SF..... No publicly printable comment.
    Independents..... Nice theory, but insufficient cohesion or clout to change anything.

So, in effect, not really much in the way of choices. Not a very appealing menu, maybe if we could have a new republic, with some different structures on the way it works, and the people that control it, there might be some hope.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

I will also be requesting the support of the canvassers for the live streaming of Co Council meetings every month on the Meath Co Co website, so that we can see for ourselves the dealings of the councillors, and who is absenting themselves from particular votes!

Looks like someone close to this Co Councillor has been reading boards.ie!

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/05/12/4030188-call-for-council-meetings-to-be-streamed-online/

FF are spending a lot of our money pushing their candidate from kentstown the pile of flyers I have amassed will make a great fire lighter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

We've only been canvassed by ff and FG which I find strange. Everyone seems to be just dropping off leaflets

Advertisement