Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i literally just finished watching that...

get the **** out of my head

6:15

This one part here, can be a real pain in the arse...hearing arse with an american accent, fantastic!

heheh yeah I did a double take and had to replay that

he must have some irish friends

That Vanbasten lad done a video a couple of days ago about using a similar set up on a Vivi Nova when your rewicking one of them...

Appears the SS really allows you to run it at a higher voltage without burning the cotton...

• Advertisement

you can do similar with silica wick

the improved flavour the cotton wick is meant to provide wouldnt be a factor anymore as you'd be getting the flavour from the mesh and i dont think cotton wicks much faster than xandreys silica wick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

3m of Silica wick arrived from vapo.ro this morning, i ordered 3 different thickness so i've a bit of experimenting to do tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Elbow wrote: »
    Update: I now have a 1.3Ω coil the produces feck all vapor but great flavor!
    Are the coil and the airhole directly aligned, coil built towards the airhole?

grindle wrote: »
    Are the coil and the airhole directly aligned, coil built towards the airhole?

I checked before I made the coil but i was doing so much twisting and turning when i was assembling it that there's a good chance i f*cked up

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

I got the Vaporhut RDA over in Vapefest UK as well and I have been using it a lot. I didn't really have any experience dripping before going over there and I was sat in a bar talking to Mik from Janty (he is the guy who invented the ego battery) and he showed me the ins and out of dripping and got me going with one of his ones.
    I liked it so much I bought the vaporhut one next day. :) I think its similar or the same as the one e-smokeireland is selling and it came setup. I think I'm going to be using dripping devices a lot more in future as I'm finding the flavour and intensity of the vape much more satisfying with it.

• Advertisement

phoenix arrived this morning

coil that came with it was dreadful.. no matter how low a voltage I vaped it at the juice tasted burnt and wrong so ripped it out

it's the fiddliest little bastard to recoil

vapour is good, bit cool.. flavour is almost non existant but im sure I just have to learn how to coil this differently than the RDA

What causes the burt taste?

I made 4 coils last night, using .15 nichrome & 2mm silica wick, each around 1.5-1.7 ohm, everyone of them had that burnt taste, one so bad that it nearly ripped the throat out of me!

Air hole was in the right position & I made sure each coil was well soaked before taking a drag :confused:

I also seem to have an awful habit of shorting the coils when i'm screwing everything together, very frustrating!

well my second coil is a lot better

still not as good as the RDA but i'm getting the vapour and flavour now at least
    i can see it holding a lot of pg heavy juices.. but with the el toro 50:50's, it only takes 4-5 drops at a time because the juice is so thick

elbow.. yeah it's a massive pain in the ass to get the coils right when you're threading them into the posts. dunno what would be causing your burnt taste. I used 7 wraps of .20 nichrome dunno what resistance but i'd imagine around 1.4-1.6 ohms

weirdly enough for the cheap price of it.. i dont see this as a good rebuildable for new vapers. it's pretty ****ing fiddly and so hard to get **** set up right

I'll throw up a pic of a finished coil in position later, maybe i'm doing something stupid and ye'll be able to spot it :/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I suppose if the turns are too close together they could be burning the juice, make sure they're well spread out.

Another thing is if they're wrapped too tight around the wick, that can give a really strong burnt taste. Are you using a splint when you wind the coil?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

phoenix arrived this morning

coil that came with it was dreadful.. no matter how low a voltage I vaped it at the juice tasted burnt and wrong so ripped it out

it's the fiddliest little bastard to recoil

vapour is good, bit cool.. flavour is almost non existant but im sure I just have to learn how to coil this differently than the RDA

How long did it take your's to come on esmokeireland it says all my item's are processing and i ordered saturday...

stevenmu wrote: »
    I suppose if the turns are too close together they could be burning the juice, make sure they're well spread out.

Another thing is if they're wrapped too tight around the wick, that can give a really strong burnt taste. Are you using a splint when you wind the coil?

I think you may have hit the nail on the head, I've been winding them as tight as possible :o

Ah, that could be it so. When I tried winding them really tight I got burnt hits straight away. I think it chokes the wick and stops juice flowing through easily, also it concentrates all the heat in the wick and can cause it to burn itself.

Normally I use a splint (like a shirt pin or paperclip), and don't try to pull it tight. I just use the natural pressure it takes to wind the coil around the wick+splint and that gets it tight enough.

how long are people getting between refills?

I can fit about 10 drops of orange de sangre in, which is a pretty thin liquid so I assume high PG

i still have to take the thing apart to refill very often. it's kind of annoying, especially after hearing people say it takes so much juice

--edit

is anyone who has one of these using xandreys 1mm wick?

how are you winding your coils? do you have 1/2/4 strands of wick on either side of the coil lounging in the base?

atm im using 4 strands of the 1mm wick with the coil in the middle, then 4 strands on either side lounging in the base. couldn be why im not getting as much juice in as other people and also why i'm vaping it dry so fast.. that much wick is gona wick the juice real fast to the coil.. maybe faster than I actually need

I have to say Im warming to it as a device. it's more fiddly than the RDA to get the coil in.. but it's so easy to actually open it up and get at the coil that it kinda evens out considering how bloody awkward it is to take the RDA apart. i'm considering getting a second one so I can mess about with one of them while I vape on the other... they're cheap enough to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chacal

First RDA I've used (in fact first dripper) and it came with wick and coil installed. Will be rebuilding with Xandreys in the next few days so will let you know how I get on. Looks like two strands of fibre with the coil in the middle and two stands in the well. Does seem to be fairly thirsty but I've nothing to compare it with. Very happy with flavour though.

• Advertisement

was hgaving loads of trouble this afternoon getting the legs of the coil into the holes, one of the screws came out of the posts and after an hour spent trying to get the screw back in the phoenix is now in the bin

was hgaving loads of trouble this afternoon getting the legs of the coil into the holes, one of the screws came out of the posts and after an hour spent trying to get the screw back in the phoenix is now in the bin

Seriously! il take it as spare if you dont want it :rolleyes: should have mine tommorow or friday cant wait! What is an ideal ohm rate il be using mine with a LT and im unsure as "grimmgreen" talk's about SR about 3 ohm's is the best.

edit- Just wondering is it the XL phoenix esmokeireland sell or standard ?

3.5ohm is the sweet-spot for me, as you can push the wattage a little over 10 watts (which would be past my upper limit) @ 6v and get the best battery-life out of the device.
    5.3-5.6v, 3.5ohm coil = tasty vapes.

grindle wrote: »
    3.5ohm is the sweet-spot for me, as you can push the wattage a little over 10 watts (which would be past my upper limit) @ 6v and get the best battery-life out of the device.
    5.3-5.6v, 3.5ohm coil = tasty vapes.

Thanks for that! what kind of setup you using in terms of wire mesh wicks ?

Nichrome wire, .16 for the single coils (Vivi), .15 for the dual coils. Might try to dual coil the Vivi tomorrow.
    Gonna have to get .13 if I want to do triple-coils at any useful resistance, otherwise I'm gonna have three massive 6ohm coils hanging off the posts. Will it just vape like three crappy 6ohm coils?
    Maybe I'll have to make 3 x 4.5ohm coils...
    *But will my mod provide the power?!? I've maths to do. *sigh*
    Using strips cut from cotton make-up pads as wick.

*Edit: Nah, I'd have to make 3 x 7ohm coils to make it work on my mod, fuck that and the 5 watt horse it rode in on.

just want to say thanks for all the help lads, finally managed to get the thing performing right!

flavor is epic!

2 strands of 2mm wick, & .15 nichrome running at 2.1 ohms

just want to say thanks for all the help lads, finally managed to get the thing performing right!

flavor is epic!

2 strands of 2mm wick, & .15 nichrome running at 2.1 ohms

How many coil's did you make ? im using the same stuff just need to get mine to 3 ohms or there about's.

How many coil's did you make ? im using the same stuff just need to get mine to 3 ohms or there about's.

Measure it to be exact. .15 nichrome = 0.6ohms per cm, so 5cm gives 3ohms.

As long as it has two little legs, I coil it around the mini screwdriver as many times as it wants to be wound.
    flavor is epic!
    Z0E9t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

My first rebuilable! Got my Phoenix this morning but am not going to touch it til vapefest. Haven't a clue about rewicking or coiling and my connection is too slow to watch anything on youtube.

• Advertisement

sept09baby wrote: »
    My first rebuilable! Got my Phoenix this morning but am not going to touch it til vapefest. Haven't a clue about rewicking or coiling and my connection is too slow to watch anything on youtube.
    Congrats, if you thought you were hooked on vaping before, wait until you start building you're own coils :)

Advertisement