Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slane Concert 2012

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

What about:

The Killers
    Snow Patrol
    Kaiser Chiefs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

What about:

The Killers
    Snow Patrol
    Kaiser Chiefs

For some reason I wouldn't be so keen on The Killers headlining Slane.

I really believe they are a contender for Oxegen seen as how they will more than likely be repeating a few headliners from years back (Eg Coldplay in 2003, Foos in 2005 etc.).

Green Day with the right supports WOULD sell out Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Green Day - Blink - Jimmy Eat World style line up would probably sell about 50,000 but Id say it would be a different line up entirely, a more classic band/artist. Although I would love to see it, that line up would appeal mainly to teens. I can see MCD looking for acts with a wider appeal

Im still hoping for these guys with a good support could sell it out. Plus you would get you're money's worth 2-3 hours of hits

Another idea for Green Day is they could sub-headline and then return as a full headliner like the Chili's did.

At least that way the crowd could judge based on their impression of the lads at Slane if they would be keen enough for a full headline show.

This may be another idea starting with the headliner in bold.

Foo Fighters
    Green Day
    Blink 182
    My Chemical Romance
    and one other filler band.

• Advertisement

karaokeman wrote: »
    Another idea for Green Day is they could sub-headline and then return as a full headliner like the Chili's did.

At least that way the crowd could judge based on their impression of the lads at Slane if they would be keen enough for a full headline show.

Foo Fighters
    Green Day
    Blink 182
    My Chemical Romance

I like that but i couldnt see Green Day coming back to headline the following year but if you got rid of MCR and maybe put in Weezer i would be there in a hearbeat. Wasnt mad about MCR at Oxegen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Foo Fighters
    Green Day
    Blink 182
    My Chemical Romance

Would MCD bother paying for a lineup like that? (would be so amazing if it happened though...) Could see Foos + Green Day then maybe some smaller acts....

Had to leave after a couple of songs when i saw the foos...still so gutted!

Would MCD bother paying for a lineup like that? (would be so amazing if it happened though...) Could see Foos + Green Day then maybe some smaller acts....

Had to leave after a couple of songs when i saw the foos...still so gutted!

Well if you look at Oasis they had Kasabian and The Prodigy , but i no Green Day would nearly cost the same as them put together.

Id say Blink will do Oxegen instead since they would get a better slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nickfro

Would love to see another return from U2!

Ac/dc or the boss would rock the **** out of slane also!

Greenday.. Id like to go to a slane that isnt filled with teens thinking their great drinking cans. No thanks! Im a fan of the music but not the crowd they attract

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Nulzy

Definitely think it should be Muse. They would def sell it out, the amount of people that would come from abroad to see them in Slane would be enough 2 sell it out imo. They are so much better open air, and they would put on a completely over the top Museish show if they were allowed, something like they did with Wembley last year. Def should be them.

• Advertisement

Nulzy wrote: »
    Definitely think it should be Muse. They would def sell it out, the amount of people that would come from abroad to see them in Slane would be enough 2 sell it out imo. They are so much better open air, and they would put on a completely over the top Museish show if they were allowed, something like they did with Wembley last year. Def should be them.

I actually prefer Muse indoors. If Muse have a new album out then they could be in the running , they were originally down to headline Slane last year but they did Oxegen instead

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I'd say Coldplay will be real contenders to land it. They have a new album coming out later on this year, so they'll more than likely be touring it next year, and like them or not they'd be pretty much a guaranteed sell out for the promoters.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Nulzy

I actually prefer Muse indoors. If Muse have a new album out then they could be in the running , they were originally down to headline Slane last year but they did Oxegen instead

No personally I feel they are somewhat contained when they are indoors or smth. Ya I heard that too..I feel twas a bad decision though..as amazing as they were in oxegen..i don't think the right crowd were there to appreciate them I was surrounded by people who didn't recognise citizen erased and only went mental for the likes of uprising.

Here's my thoughts at this moment in time;

Muse - excellent contender for Slane. Definitely agree they are more suited to outdoor shows. Would put a stop to the rumours Slane (like Oxegen) is becoming a popfest seen as how it used to be like Bruce Springsteen and R.E.M but now its gone to radio-friendly bands Oasis and Kings of Leon

U2 - its been a long time but I would much prefer them to make a return to Slane than play 3 more Croke Parks

AC/DC - are bound to come eventually as Henry promised he will secure a year for them whenever they are free

Metallica - I would rather see them play Oxegen first. It might help with the declining ticket sales for the festival

Coldplay - certainly a possibility with a new album coming out, played most other venues in Ireland etc. But I think with one Phoenix Park show in the bag they probably aren't 100% sure if they can sell out Slane or not. I'd say a Croke Park gig would be the most likely scenario for Chris and the lads

Green Day - its still hanging in the balance. I'd imagine they will do sub-headline one year and then return the next so I don't think it would be 2012 maybe 2013

The Killers - another act with the potential to sell out Slane. It depends how good their new album is tbh

Red Hot Chili Peppers - again Chad said they want to play there again so I see no reason why not

Foo Fighters - not really. They have an arena tour coming up early next year so 2013 would probably be right for the Foos

Eminem - no, just no. Slane is not a rap venue, Phoenix Park for you man

The Prodigy - maybe, I'd say they would be doing some more big outdoor shows in Ireland, maybe Marlay Park and that before they headline Slane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I think Chris (from Muse) was telling people they'd be back in the studio again in November. Hopefully they'll play. They were great at Marlay Park.

Here's my thoughts at this moment in time;

Muse - excellent contender for Slane. Definitely agree they are more suited to outdoor shows. Would put a stop to the rumours Slane (like Oxegen) is becoming a popfest seen as how it used to be like Bruce Springsteen and R.E.M but now its gone to radio-friendly bands Oasis and Kings of Leon

U2 - its been a long time but I would much prefer them to make a return to Slane than play 3 more Croke Parks

AC/DC - are bound to come eventually as Henry promised he will secure a year for them whenever they are free

Metallica - I would rather see them play Oxegen first. It might help with the declining ticket sales for the festival

Coldplay - certainly a possibility with a new album coming out, played most other venues in Ireland etc. But I think with one Phoenix Park show in the bag they probably aren't 100% sure if they can sell out Slane or not. I'd say a Croke Park gig would be the most likely scenario for Chris and the lads

Green Day - its still hanging in the balance. I'd imagine they will do sub-headline one year and then return the next so I don't think it would be 2012 maybe 2013

The Killers - another act with the potential to sell out Slane. It depends how good their new album is tbh

Red Hot Chili Peppers - again Chad said they want to play there again so I see no reason why not

Foo Fighters - not really. They have an arena tour coming up early next year so 2013 would probably be right for the Foos

Eminem - no, just no. Slane is not a rap venue, Phoenix Park for you man

The Prodigy - maybe, I'd say they would be doing some more big outdoor shows in Ireland, maybe Marlay Park and that before they headline Slane

Agreed with most of that , but i would not rule the Foo's out because they have an arena tour coming up , they could still do Slane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Agreed with most of that , but i would not rule the Foo's out because they have an arena tour coming up , they could still do Slane

and at Oxegen Dave said that they could be back in Ireland sooner than we'd think!!! Fingers crossed!

Funny rumours are only popping up now about U2 after years of speculation about RHCP, Foos and so fort.

If U2 are headlining I think the lineup should be like this starting with them as headliner.

U2
    R.E.M
    The Strokes
    Noel Gallagher
    The Kooks

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Funny rumours are only popping up now about U2 after years of speculation about RHCP, Foos and so fort.

If U2 are headlining I think the lineup should be like this starting with them as headliner.

U2
    R.E.M
    The Strokes
    Noel Gallagher
    The Kooks

That would be a great line up!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Couldnt see REM supporting so would remove them and have smaller Irish band opening the day.

• Advertisement

I think if U2 headline they should do an all Irish support bill eg

U2
    Snow Patrol
    Ash
    2 Door Cinema Club
    Corona's

And maybe someone like Ham Sandwich/Royseven/Fight Like Apes

Mushy wrote: »
    Couldnt see REM supporting so would remove them and have smaller Irish band opening the day.

R.E.M wouldn't be big enough to sell out Slane unlike they were in 1995, so seeing them support U2 would be better than never seeing them at Slane again.

Other than those Olympia "live rehearsal" gigs the last time R.E.M played a proper show in Ireland was in 2005 when they played two points, which would be the equivalent to one O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yogicolly

it would depend on what R.E.M. were promoting as to whether or not they could sell it out...if they turned around and were doing setlists of there biggest hits they would sell it out...in fairness band like Muse and the killers can only dream of being in the league and have the status that R.E.M. have enjoyed for 30 years and although their creative and popularity peaks are behind them they are still a huge name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Seeing as a lot of the bands mentioned above have played the venue before, why not have a 2012 bill made up solely of acts from previous years? How about this for a line up:

Bryan Adams
    Stereophonics
    Mel C
    4 Non Blondes
    James
    Hazel O'Connor
    Dara

The quality of Slane bills has been very consistent over the last 15 years and a line up like this would continue that trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

i would love to see a legendary act play it like david bowie, would also love to see pearl jam

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

R.E.M wouldn't be big enough to sell out Slane unlike they were in 1995, so seeing them support U2 would be better than never seeing them at Slane again.

Other than those Olympia "live rehearsal" gigs the last time R.E.M played a proper show in Ireland was in 2005 when they played two points, which would be the equivalent to one O2.

Played Oxegen in 2008 and were brilliant I gotta say

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think if U2 headline they should do an all Irish support bill eg

U2
    Snow Patrol
    Ash
    2 Door Cinema Club
    Corona's

And maybe someone like Ham Sandwich/Royseven/Fight Like Apes

Take out Snow Patrol and Corona's and thats a decent bill. Id also take out U2 if i had my way :D

Corholio wrote: »
    Take out Snow Patrol and Corona's and thats a decent bill. Id also take out U2 if i had my way :D

Ha well id also take out 2 Door Cinema Club aswell but was just going for big Irish Bands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ha well id also take out 2 Door Cinema Club aswell but was just going for big Irish Bands

I certainly think Ash would need to be taken out too.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    I certainly think Ash would need to be taken out too.

We will agree to disagree ;)

Advertisement