Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLACK EYED THIEVES.....???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Twin-go wrote: »
    Meh!
    ]

TBH that's very different.... That is the use of a chord progression which in most cases is not classified as stealing... There is only so many chords that sound well together and that is one of them.
    In the case of the Black eyed peas song it was a stolen riff which is unheard of...They even took the exact same sound! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    TBH that's very different.... That is the use of a chord progression which in most cases is not classified as stealing... There is only so many chords that sound well together and that is one of them.
    In the case of the Black eyed peas song it was a stolen riff which is unheard of...They even took the exact same sound! :D

Meh, Meh !! :D

Twin-go wrote: »
    Meh, Meh !! :)

Hahahah point proven... I just hope that the artist in question has enough money to take Black eyed peas to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Anything that gets the Black Eyed Peas in jail is worth trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Samples. If you think BEP are bad do a bit of digging on Daft Punk sampling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

All their songs are based on samples of other peoples music. I'm sure they pay royalties to the original artists. Most record companies make sure they get permission to use samples so they don't get sued.

I really don't get sampling to be honest. Why listen to a loop of a riff from a pre-existing song with some idiot talking nonsense over it? Why not just listen to the original song?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I found this video today after a friend told me that the song "I've got a feeling" was actually a fabricated piece using other peoples work. After some research I found the original piece that formed the main riff that we all love from that iconic song.... Here is the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7drHJ71rIw&feature=player_embedded

Is this wrong?....Should the artist (Bryan Pringle) take Black Eyed Peas to court? What do you guys think?

That's how bands like TBEP work...like rappers too.
    They're not stealing music, they are sampling it.

Check the album sleeve to see if they have credited the original writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

All their songs are based on samples of other peoples music. I'm sure they pay royalties to the original artists. Most record companies make sure they get permission to use samples so they don't get sued.

I really don't get sampling to be honest. Why listen to a loop of a riff from a pre-existing song with some idiot talking nonsense over it? Why not just listen to the original song?

Damn right.

Remember Bitter Sweet Symphony?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

99% of the time you're not going to be listening to the song for the sample.

• Advertisement

That's how bands like TBEP work...like rappers too.
    They're not stealing music, they are sampling it.

Check the album sleeve to see if they have credited the original writers.

Nope... they outright stole it

Did The Black Eyed Peas Steal “I Gotta Feeling” From Songwriter Bryan Pringle?

Posted on November 2, 2010 by brianbalthazar| Leave a comment
    Ask Bryan Pringle, and he’ll say ‘you bet they did.’ (Or something to that effect.) He’s suing The Black Eyed Peas, and he uses this cover as evidence that they stole his riff. Take a listen… it starts to sound the most similar after 25 seconds in. There are no lyrics, so you’re done listenin’ about a minute later. Pretty similar, but enough to win a lawsuit? Time will tell…

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

On 16 June 2009, the Black Eyed Peas released the David Guetta-produced "I Gotta Feeling" as their second single from their fifth studio album, The E.N.D.. It became a worldwide hit topping the charts in seventeen countries. It became the most downloaded song in both the United Kingdom, selling more than one million copies, and in the United States, with six million downloads.:D:D source wiki

To Be Honest That Song Doesnt Really Sound Like The BEP
    Apart From The DDDDDDDDDDDD Bit

Anyway BEP Are Much Better Than That Guy Pringle

STADEdeLUC wrote: »

On 16 June 2009, the Black Eyed Peas released the David Guetta-produced "I Gotta Feeling" as their second single from their fifth studio album, The E.N.D.. It became a worldwide hit topping the charts in seventeen countries. It became the most downloaded song in both the United Kingdom, selling more than one million copies, and in the United States, with six million downloads.:D:D source wiki

To Be Honest That Song Doesnt Really Sound Like The BEP
    Apart From The DDDDDDDDDDDD Bit

Anyway BEP Are Much Better Than That Guy Pringle

Well it is the main part of their song... It's such a great riff and it is not like they have just copied the melody... they have copied the melody and the sounding. 1 million copies?? that's a lot of money for pringle!
    He is taking them to court so I'd say he is going to get a good chunk of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Because it's not just Kid Rock and Black Eyed Peas sampling. A lot of the time it's done well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ah Karl welcome back! He did miss Coolio's See you when you get there in that rant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The melody of I Gotta Feeling always reminds me of Whipping Boy's When We Were Young

Advertisement