Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEXSOR 27" LCD TV 649.00 Currys

• 16-11-2006 10:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭

Lexsor TV 27" LCD with HDMI, Progressive Scan, Picture in Picture, Picture Freeze. Loads of connections including Computer Connection.

I bought one from Currys. A bit mixed feelings for it. I like the features of picture in picture and Picture out of Picture and Picture Freeze and the way you can still see the picture whilst standing to the side (wide viewing angle). I don't like the way you cannot get half page text/half page picture on it and the poor sound Very tinny speakers even though it has a graphic equalizer adjustments for the sound and presets its still a bad sound which lets the set down. (I have hooked it up to a set of PC speakers with a sub woofer which has greatly improved the sound) no Dolby surround (I suppose you cant expect it at this price ) but there is no surround setting at all.

The picture is horrible close up (but then I find they are on all LCD's when close up) but 6ft and more away and the picture is lovely.

The remote control is horrible and huge.

The set itself looks great looking and has detachable speakers each side (after removing screws) the light underneath the screen is cool (blue when set is on, red when set is in standby) the picture itself has jerking issues when credits/titles are scrolling up the screen after a programme or if a ticker is scrolling across the screen or if the camera 'pans' across the screen during a film. I am not sure if this is just an artifact with this particular LCD or whether all LCD TV's suffer from this but I have emailed the company to see if this can be eradicated in some way)

The main power switch is on the back of the TV and the on/off switch at the top of the TV just puts it in standby mode. I am not a fan of leaving TV's in standby mode but the manual assures that it uses less than 3w in standby mode so maybe thats not too bad.

All in all I reckon its a bargain at 649.00 Euro especially with its PIP and connectivity features and its wide viewing angles and it available now at Currys (and I think i see it in PC World) the model number is:
    Lexsor LC-27W18SD UK.

I saw Philips model next to it and it was not only dearer I think it didn't have as many features - I don't even think it had picture in picture feature and to be quite honest I found the picture to be much better (and a wider viewing angle) on this Lexsor rather than the picture on the Philips.

I just hope (without hearing of this brand before) that it is going to be a reliable set for years to come.

Andy.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lidl and Aldi have bigger tvs for €650 and I'd be more inclinded for that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭andyr

kearnsr wrote:

I wouldn't fancy queueing up at 7.30am to get one! ;)

kearnsr wrote:

Funny enough I was pondering in Currys that the 27" looked tiny compared to the 32" Lexsor and i was wondering if I made the right choice about the size as I thought it would look small in my living room but when I unpacked it and put it on the shelf I was really glad I didn't go for the 32" because it would have been too big for the little lounge we have. - I still think the larger the screen you get the poorer the picture especially where a LCD TV is concerned.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that you need a really good signal for these LCD screens otherwise the picture is terrible.

I have an outside UHF aerial picking up the BBC and on my Normal CRT the picture was OK'ish with some graininess but it was OK. But this new LCD don't like weak television signal at all! - its very grainy and bad picture.

Hook it up to Sky Digibox or progressive through the DVD player though and its a completely different story, thats when the picture comes into play.

The VGA D-Sub socket is a great feature I hooked up a PC to it and it was so clear and I have never seen the windows desktop so large!

Andy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

andyr wrote:
    I wouldn't fancy queueing up at 7.30am to get one! ;)

I'd be going by it at that time any ways so if I'm gona get it , it wouldnt bother me but I'm debating wether or not to get this or the 32 inch samsung hd crt tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i got that lexsor last year & its ok for what it does but hi def images are very dark, oblivion on the 360 was impossible to play in the dungeons

• Advertisement

madrab wrote:
    i got that lexsor last year & its ok for what it does but hi def images are very dark, oblivion on the 360 was impossible to play in the dungeons

Interesting to note on the back of this Lexsor TV among all its connectivity sockets that there is a socket marked 'Update' - maybe this allows a service engineer to load new firmware and maybe that might brighten the screen up in Hi-Def.

I am trying to crack a service menu on this Lexsor TV at the moment thats my next mission.

On a lot of TV's I have come across you can press a few numbers on the TV' remote control or press a couple of buttons on the TV whilst turning on and you get to a hidden menu where it has adjustments for geometry of the picture (height, width etc..) and also some other settings not normally in the standard TV menu (although you have to be careful you don't adjust something you shouldn't or you could end up wrecking the TV!)

the picture on the LCD seem just a tad too wide and the edges are missing slightly so if i can get into the setting then I can adjust it slightly to fit the screen perfectly.

Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

interesting, keep us informed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

anyone use this tv with a 360.If so whats it like

In comparison when i got the Lexsor I looked a few doors up in Homebase and saw a Bush (Yuk!) 26" LCD TV for 659.00 Euro and it wasn't even HD Ready! - so thats also why i think i got a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭spyder238

yea ive got this model aswell. although i use my old 21" matsui to play my 360 on because through the standard av cable that comes with the core console i can't play 60hz games properly without the colour going all crazy, i use it for other games though and its good

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Good deal on the 32" Samsung this week on Komplett.
    Samsung 32" LCD-TV
    The 32" LCD TV LE32R32B provides you with the unique quality of High Definition images and maximum user comfort.

THIS WEEK ONLY: €679

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Teresa,

Please don't bump old threads.

Maybe make a new thread in Consumer Issues instead.

Closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement