Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MINIX NEO X8 + MINIX A1 4k TV streamer box - €96.52

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

You can also use DISCOUNTME as a discount code on the xunity site to buy a new one for e165 shipped.

Is the xunity eclipse better than the minix neo x8H?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

iggy wrote: »
    Is the xunity eclipse better than the minix neo x8H?

I'm not actually sure. The specs of the eclipse are

Processor: True Quad Core Rk3188 CPU not Rk3188T
    Graphics Processing Unit: Mali 400 Quad core
    Ram: 2GB (SAMSUNG DDR3) not generic branded DDR
    Ports: 3 x USB 2.0
    Resolution: True 720p, 1080p, Experimental 1440p
    Storage: 8GB Nand (Size will vary due to O/S & Apps)
    3x USB 2.0 Ports
    Supports micro SDHC card
    Video Output: HDMI v1.4
    Wi-Fi: 802.11n/g/b max 150mbps
    Lan: 10 /100 Ethernet Port
    Audio: SPDIF Optical out, 5.1 DTS over Hdmi
    Recovery: Full Nand Recovery via Dedicated reset button & CWM variant.

Android 4.2 (Jelly-Bean) Variant Installed.
    Updates: Over The Air (OTA)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

I'd be interested to know also which is better, the minix or xunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I'm not actually sure. The specs of the eclipse are

Processor: True Quad Core Rk3188 CPU not Rk3188T
    Graphics Processing Unit: Mali 400 Quad core
    Ram: 2GB (SAMSUNG DDR3) not generic branded DDR
    Ports: 3 x USB 2.0
    Resolution: True 720p, 1080p, Experimental 1440p
    Storage: 8GB Nand (Size will vary due to O/S & Apps)
    3x USB 2.0 Ports
    Supports micro SDHC card
    Video Output: HDMI v1.4
    Wi-Fi: 802.11n/g/b max 150mbps
    Lan: 10 /100 Ethernet Port
    Audio: SPDIF Optical out, 5.1 DTS over Hdmi
    Recovery: Full Nand Recovery via Dedicated reset button & CWM variant.

Android 4.2 (Jelly-Bean) Variant Installed.
    Updates: Over The Air (OTA)

The Minix has better spec.....

Better quad core processor and 8-core GPU

Processor Quad-Core Cortex A9r4 Processor
    GPU Octo-Core Mali 450
    Memory 2GB DDR3
    Internal Storage 16GB eMMC
    Wireless Connectivity 802.11n Dual Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5.8GHz), Bluetooth 4.0
    OS Android™ KitKat 4.4
    Video Output HDMI™ 1.4b, up to 4K @ 30fps
    Audio Output HDMI™ 1.4b, 3.5mm stereo jack, optical SPDIF
    Peripheral Interface RJ-45 Ethernet jack (10/100Mbps)
    SD/MMC card reader (SD 3.0, MMC V4.41), Support HDMI-CEC
    USB 2.0 port x 3, OTG port x 1
    Microphone jack, Headphone jack,IR receiver (remote included)
    Power DC 5V, 3A adapter included (CE, FCC, CCC certified)
    Supported Video Format DAT/MPEG/MPE/MPG/TS/TP/VOB/ISO/AVI/MP4/MOV/3GV/FLV
    MKV/M2TS/MTS/M4V/WMV/ASF/RM/RMVB
    Supported Audio Format MP2/MP3/WMA/WAV/OGG/OGA/FLAC/ALAC/APE/AAC

I ordered the x8h and air mouse off futeko on eBay, came to 115 sterling with delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭padair

BArra wrote: »
    I ordered the x8h and air mouse off futeko on eBay, came to 115 sterling with delivery

You would have been better off ordering of their site. £105 plus parcel motel. Would have saved you a fiver

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

I don't know about these android devices, I just got the Minix Neo X8-H from an adverts.ie seller and don't find it great.

I have used xbmc since its xbox console days and currently have it running on 2 atv2's and an acer revo windows 7 mini pc.

I have a NAS with plenty of tv, music and movies and find the atv2 with much lower hardware specs still out performs the Minix hands down. Sure it's only 720p but in comparision the Minix lags in menus, browsing thru video librarys etc .. If all you want to do is stream then they're probably all fine.

I just find this odd as the ATV2 has only 256MB ram vs 2GB RAM on the Minix and a 1GHZ processor vs 2GHZ Quad Core on the Minix, I was expecting the Minix to be much better than the ATV2.

Only problem is of course that you can't buy the ATV2 anymore which is a pity, but in saying that my 5 year old acer revo is better than both of them.

Just my tuppenceworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

v10 wrote: »
    I don't know about these android devices, I just got the Minix Neo X8-H from an adverts.ie seller and don't find it great.

I have used xbmc since its xbox console days and currently have it running on 2 atv2's and an acer revo windows 7 mini pc.

I have a NAS with plenty of tv, music and movies and find the atv2 with much lower hardware specs still out performs the Minix hands down. Sure it's only 720p but in comparision the Minix lags in menus, browsing thru video librarys etc .. If all you want to do is stream then they're probably all fine.

I just find this odd as the ATV2 has only 256MB ram vs 2GB RAM on the Minix and a 1GHZ processor vs 2GHZ Quad Core on the Minix, I was expecting the Minix to be much better than the ATV2.

Only problem is of course that you can't buy the ATV2 anymore which is a pity, but in saying that my 5 year old acer revo is better than both of them.

Just my tuppenceworth.

Have you Gotham xbmc on it?

Have you Gotham xbmc on it?

Ye running Gotham 13.2 on all devices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Just my tuppenceworth.

Interesting, I was given a Packard bell laptop as a freebie which I installed XBMC on, and I've been playing with it the last few weeks, i find it good, with some AMD processor and 4GB of ram. Although it works fine, I was considering getting an X8-H, as the laptop is a little awkward near my TV.

I'm aware that Ninex stick their own version of XBMC on these, I'm wondering if removing and reinstalling XBMC and also removing any other bloat wear might improve the performance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

There's something wrong there. I've the 8H and play from a Windows share and from certain streaming servers on the internet. It's not laggy at all on mine in the menus.

It is very slow going through XBMC plugins (like Navi) but I've never really had a great experience with those on any platform.

I presume you've reset all settings to default and started from scratch on it.

timetogo wrote: »
    There's something wrong there. I've the 8H and play from a Windows share and from certain streaming servers on the internet. It's not laggy at all on mine in the menus.

It is very slow going through XBMC plugins (like Navi) but I've never really had a great experience with those on any platform.

Yep done that as I dont really use many plugins, I used the preinstalled app for reseting xbmc and while it's fine, the ATV and the windows pc are better.

I also use a mysql database (on NAS) instead of the default setup so that the library is shared between devices, this will run slower because the library is not local, but is the same for all devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BobMc

got my first andorid box about 6 weeks ago, have it connected to NAS and (X-8h) via ethernet, working great, streaming going well too, since bought an x-5 connected via powerline adapters to nas etc and again working great, need recommendation on a good remote though, the x-8 came with the new M1 remote, and I got an Rii remote with the x-5 but not finding it great at all any suggestions !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

BobMc wrote: »
    got my first andorid box about 6 weeks ago, have it connected to NAS and (X-8h) via ethernet, working great, streaming going well too, since bought an x-5 connected via powerline adapters to nas etc and again working great, need recommendation on a good remote though, the x-8 came with the new M1 remote, and I got an Rii remote with the x-5 but not finding it great at all any suggestions !!

Stick with the Rii Bob, I was nearly throwing mine out the window last week. But have persisted and now find it handy enough. Just remember to lock the cursor (middle button in the middle of the keyboard) and then hit left (L button beside the middle button) to select that item. Also to scroll down, if you are holding the remote with the on/off button pointing towards the tv, (which is the best way) then arrow left scrolls down. Arrow right scrolls up. etc. but the middle button and left click is your most important one to remember to start with the rest then comes after.

timetogo wrote: »

Just got this box and I am finding it fairly laggy as well. Is there much involved to reset the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

nothing to lose on ebay, if something is wrong you can always get your money back..

One thing to note, on all these system the firmware that ships on most has a lot of problems. When I got mine ethernet port wouldn't work etc. What you will find is some of the boxes could have been sitting on a shelf since release so firmware is way old. There is 2 firmware options but I would recommend installing one of the below or you will see issues

Official Firmware
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-x8-x8-h-002-beta-8-firmware-20140809.27/

This is official firmware. No idea how it works. These are still in Beta, there is no official date for when the non-beta version will be released

Un-Official firmware
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/update-10-aug-2014-x8-h-flashable-zip-for-neo-x8-h.98/

I installed this version on box, easy to install. I done a full wipe and started again, I would expect if you try to keep app's on the system it will cause issues so better off starting off fresh. But your decision.

This is running great for me, have no complaints at all. XBMC etc is flying on box.

If you have invested in this box should really join this forum for updates. Will have info on new firmware etc
    http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x8-h-x8.18/

Please note if you want someone to do this for you I can charge you massive amounts of money and set it up for you including XBMC etc :-)

Big Nelly wrote: »
    One thing to note, on all these system the firmware that ships on most has a lot of problems. When I got mine ethernet port wouldn't work etc. What you will find is some of the boxes could have been sitting on a shelf since release so firmware is way old. There is 2 firmware options but I would recommend installing one of the below or you will see issues

Official Firmware
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/neo-x8-x8-h-002-beta-8-firmware-20140809.27/

This is official firmware. No idea how it works. These are still in Beta, there is no official date for when the non-beta version will be released

Un-Official firmware
    http://www.minixforum.com/threads/update-10-aug-2014-x8-h-flashable-zip-for-neo-x8-h.98/

I installed this version on box, easy to install. I done a full wipe and started again, I would expect if you try to keep app's on the system it will cause issues so better off starting off fresh. But your decision.

This is running great for me, have no complaints at all. XBMC etc is flying on box.

If you have invested in this box should really join this forum for updates. Will have info on new firmware etc
    http://www.minixforum.com/forums/neo-x8-h-x8.18/

Please note if you want someone to do this for you I can charge you massive amounts of money and set it up for you including XBMC etc :-)

How did you install the beta firmware. Was it following the instructions on the official forum. I have tried to do it but I am having problems with the software that copies the software over. When I click on reset and restart the box the PC does not pick up the box. Any ideas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I have a Chromecast, would getting one of these be any use to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Was just coming on to ask the same thing.
    I find there isn't a lot I can do with the chromrcast and would rather have a wired device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

You are fairly limited with a Chromecast. These boxes can handle a good bit more than the CC, more apps etc. Lots of firmware to play around with too and although I haven't done it myself, I am pretty sure they can be rooted/modded.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Is the m1 airmouse good enough to use with the x8h? Or would a wireless keyboard and mouse be better for ease of use?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tony Polster

Where have people found the best deal, along with service and quick delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Where have people found the best deal, along with service and quick delivery?
    If you want it quickly with everything pre-loaded ,then I think buying from smarttv is the best deal at €155.They have adds on adverts and seem to be very good re:service and after sales.
    I have seen it for is £104 from a few different sellers from UK and it can be bought for less from other sellers but there is a risk of customs charges and long delivery times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Has anybody used one of these a client for live TV streamed from a PVR backend like Tvheadend ?

padair wrote: »
    How did you install the beta firmware. Was it following the instructions on the official forum. I have tried to do it but I am having problems with the software that copies the software over. When I click on reset and restart the box the PC does not pick up the box. Any ideas?

I installed the unofficial firmware, this is done via a USB key....

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Has anybody used one of these a client for live TV streamed from a PVR backend like Tvheadend ?

I use PVR Simpleclient within XBMC for channels....don't know if that is similar to TVheadend....PM me details as not supposed to discuss on thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

BArra wrote: »
    Is the m1 airmouse good enough to use with the x8h? Or would a wireless keyboard and mouse be better for ease of use?

I use the M1, no keyboard with it,
    but I rarely use need a kyb,
    If you use Swiftkey as the default on screen keyboard, you will need to use a keyboard less and less

There are alternatives, with a full kbd, see minixforum.com, but a lot of them are v heavy on batteries

If buying a keyboard/remote , i think one with a built in mic is handy for skype, and google search (using voice)

Advertisement