Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Break no rules, do not go against charter = infraction (Sparks

• 25-03-2015 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭ Wynter Wide Casket

I'm looking for recommendations for companys out there for some web development work that I'm trying to get done at the moment, and having already tried the work wanted thread over in Web Design (which doesn't suit my needs anyway, which I guess is why I got only one reply) so I asked in Wed Development if anyone could recommend any reputatable companys in Ireland.

I don't work in Web Development, I was hoping the word or some pointers from some boards members in the industry would be better than googling blind.

Here is my post:

Subject: Recommend a Web Development company in Ireland
    nm wrote: »
    Surprised not to see this in a sticky here since there are reasonably regular requests from people with little or no dev experience looking to get work done.

I've (what I think is) a reasonably big project that I'm looking to get someone to build, I've written a sort of spec document trying to outline as much detail as I can and also included mock-ups I created on gomockingbird.com.

I'm at the point now where I'm looking for quotes - I've just posted on guru.com, elance.com and freelancer.com. I have some project management experience so am open to getting the work done overseas if I can be convinced of the quality.

I posted in the 'work wanted' thread too but only one reply (this is more complex than your basic SME website).

Locally though I'm just googling blind really - can anyone list or recommend web development companys in Ireland from previous experience, reputation or similar?

For this, my thread was deleted and I received an infraction, along with a curt message from the moderator 'Sparks'
    Sparks wrote:
    Moderator Note

The reason there isn't a sticky is that it's banned in the forum charter. Thread deleted.

So I checked the charter and there is nothing whatsoever in it that is defied by the contents of my post.

Perplexed, I reply to the mod asking him what he's on about and where in the charter I've gone against.

It get's weirder then..
    Sparks wrote:
    Read through the thread again. Web hosting is completely banned and so is offering services and so is airing negative views on companies. What's not in there is the why - which is that we used to have a whole forum just for this stuff and it became such an unmanagable cluster**** of companies posting stuff about their competitors that it had to be closed down and outright deleted. Ever since, that whole area of webhosting and the general area of recommending commercial companies has been kept outside barge pole range for a good reason.

I haven't asked about hosting. I already have a hosting solution for my 3 current websites, I'm happy with it, I didn't even mention hosting.

I'm also looking for recommendations, the polar opposite of "negative views". I know as common sense dictates, negative posting against a company won't be anywhere on boards. Again, not the point of my thread in the slightest.
    Sparks wrote:
    nm, negative posting is directly implied in your thread:
    can anyone list or recommend web development companys in Ireland from previous experience, reputation or similar?

I don't know what else to say, can the cMod just read the above and explain how the words "can anyone list or recommend web development companys in Ireland from previous experience, reputation or similar?" is "negative posting is directly implied"

:confused:

The mod is in complete cuckoo land.

If he/she wants to run the forum that way fine, lock the thread, highly annoying as it's been done previously with no issue and certainly without any of this fantasy 'negative posting' rubbish that the mod is speculating will happen in my thread (note: hadn't happened 2 days in, 2 recommendations received too - thanks).. but where it get ridiculous is the infraction.

There is no mention in the charter of anything that comes up in my thread.
    There is no mention in my thread of anything that is banned in the charter.

So an infraction for posting something that's banned by the charter is complete BS.

I would like to see this infraction lifted and in a perfect world, this trigger happy moderator infracted for abusing his position.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

OK, so here's the deal. The graphic above outlines the procedure you need to follow, which means you must first contact the mod who infracted you to see if things can be worked out amicably. If you fail to agree anything between yourselves you can start a thread in this forum.

Which brings me to the second part - we expect people to be civil in this forum. Describing the mod as being in cloud cuckoo land isn't going to help your case in any way. So I'm locking this thread and, if after following the procedure I've outlined above the infraction stands and you still want to dispute it, then please start a new thread without any abuse directed towards anyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement