Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walk of Shame Awards: Most Overrated Film

• 11-01-2015 6:36pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Please nominate for the Most Overrated Film of 2014!
    • Up to 4 nominations per person
    • You can justify your selections if you want, but don't criticise other peoples' selections
    • The movie must have been in Irish Cinemas between January 1st and December 31st 2014
    • This is the last of three batches of nominations. Voting will begin shortly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Guardians of the Galaxy

A real opportunity for Marvel to step out of their comfort zone and do something strange, exciting and adventurous. ...and what did they do? Another generic blockbuster that descended into 40 minutes of poorly directed action that was barely interchangeable from the finales of Captain America and The Avengers.

The Guest

All promise and no delivery. Felt curiously tame and timid for what was praised as a balls to the wall genre movie.

The Imitation Game

Another year, another amazing true story getting the blandest of award bait treatment. I can't understand the enthusiasm for a film this middle of the road.

The Wolf of Wall Street

I would never have expect Scorsese of all people to make a film this empty, dull and monotonous. Made me long for the day of a truly provocative character study like Taxi Driver or Raging Bull. This is just douchebags being douchebags for 3 hours, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Snowpiercer
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    Inside Llewyn Davis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Guest - a shallow, rote genre homage (a strong central performance aside) that was IMO nowhere near as clever, stylish or witty as its plaudits would suggest
    Guardians of the Galaxy - more safe, conservative Marvel fare
    The Raid 2 - as much as it pains me to say it :( Some great moments, but overall a world away from the superlatives that greeted it before (and in some cases after) general release, again IMO.
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET - good film but overrated to hell, still Scorcese's best film in while.

American Hustle

Obvious Child

Calvary- Good film but 5 star reviews and best irish film if all time, I don't think so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Wolf of Wall Street (probably a better movie if some judicious editing was applied. As it was I found it [eventually] a tedious, numbing experience)
    The Guest (It's all very well riffing on pulp movies from the 80s, but when all you're doing is aping a bunch of better movies, it just highlights how shallow and pointless your film really is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The Grand Budapest Hotel – I quite enjoyed it but for a film with such a quirky sense of humour I don’t understand how it’s so popular. Also the sheer amount of symmetrical shots eventually wore me down!

Stranger By The Lake - Hoodwinked into seeing this based on critics saying it was Hitchcock like. If Hitchcock made a film with no tension or style and was lewd for the sake of it, it would be this.

Muppets Most Wanted – Dublin Film Festival surprise film. The rest of the audience seemed to love it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Guardians of the Galaxy - Good fun but so generic and safe it hurts.
    American Hustle
    Calvary
    Frank

• Registered Users Posts: 84,849 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

American Hustle
    Interstellar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Calvary
    Hunger Games: Mocking Jay
    Frank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Hunger Games: Mocking Jay
    Sex Tape
    Expendables 3
    Noah

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

Selma - Sorry to blast this fantasy about the Reverent Most Holy Saint Martin Luther King Junior but it's the greatest load of cobblers I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The Wolf of Wall Street
    Guardians of the Galaxy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Guardians of The Galaxy
    Calvary
    The Hobbit : Battle of the five armies ( Came to me outragously recommended, not sure what general critics said)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Guest - starts off promisingly and great soundtrack but ultimately fails to deliver on its early promise
    Interstellar - just found it boring

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Calvary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

American Hustle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Wolf of Wall Street- full of quotable lines and the opportunity to reenact that phone scene were big attractions for the audience but strip that stuff away and your left with an empty shell, much like the film's protagonist.

The Hobbit- Hadn't overly enjoyed the previous two, I found the third the worst of the lot. All over the place on terms of timing, a mish-mash of CGI and crushed childhood fantasies.

American Hustle-Very much in the mould of a Scorsese movie, unfortunately, despite its best efforts, it was more Wolf of Wall Street than Goodfellas.

Noah- just woeful, really bad in far too many ways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement