Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

• 04-11-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭

After reading your logs since the Achill Half Marathon (thank you Catweazle), I've finally decided to plunge into this murky water and have a go at it myself.

A bit of background - I live in Virginia in the United States, but my grandfather was born and raised on Achill Island (Dooega, specifically). I started swimming when I was very, very young and swam competitively until I had basically burned out from two-a-days and travel. I still swim (primarily in the summer as I have my own lap pool in the back yard) but after too many winters of inactivity (other than the rigorous elbow movement of food shovelling from plate to mouth....or the taxing motion of the digits on the remote control) I decided to get off my duff and force myself to learn to love the art of running. Early on, it was more walking and jogging, but last January I decided to commit myself to actually pretending to be a runner and, when my husband and I decided to make our first trip ever to Ireland to visit the location of my grandfather's youth, we scheduled our trip around the Achill Half Marathon and signed up to participate in this grand event - my first ever running race. YIKES!! I did participate in a local Earth Day 5k prior to the Achill Half, but I signed up for that after commiting to Achill.

Race summary for 2011 -
    Earth Day 5k (April 2011) - 25:24 (or something like that)
    Achill Half Marathon (July 2, 2011) - 1:55:xx (very pleased and had a blast!)
    Shepherdstown Half Marathon (October 1, 2011) - 1:45:18 (improved 10 minutes!)
    Luray Homecoming 5K (October 23, 2011) - 23:15 (died the last mile, but improved 2 minutes from last 5k)

My goals for the next 11 months (I set these goals on my last birthday, a month ago) are to complete my first marathon (signed up for the Charlottesville marathon on April 7th), participate again in the Achill half marathon, do an obstacle course run, and maybe a triathlon. The obstacle course run will be completed tomorrow.....because....apparently the mud run I signed up for thinking that it was just a run through mud (silly me!) is actually a log carrying, cliff climbing, electric shock crawling, mud wading event. Weeeeee. I am so not ready. Oh well. At least I will be ticking this off my list. I am also signed up for a 10k Turkey Trot on November 19th and would like to go a sub 50.

I hope to provide something of some value in this thread....and I welcome any and all guidance from anyone who would like to contribute....but if not, and if I only hear the echo of my fingers tapping the keys, then I'll just use this as my archive of my physical activity, just as I used to keep a diary of my swim practices to track the mileage I swam each week. It's all good either way. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of Luck with the log.

Nice tough half Marathon you picked for your first race :eek:

Your speed over your more recent HM indicates great potential!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good to see you Carol.

Have you made your travel arrangements for coming over here next year, are you going to be visiting different areas than last year - perhaps you might do the Triathlon in Ireland?

The calendar is not out yet - but the Hell of the West is around the end of June every year - I will get you a bike ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of Luck with the log.

Nice tough half Marathon you picked for your first race :eek:

Your speed over your more recent HM indicates great potential!!

Thanks....and as they say (regarding the Achill half as my first race), ignorance is bliss! But I truly had a grand time.:)

catweazle wrote: »
    Good to see you Carol.

Have you made your travel arrangements for coming over here next year, are you going to be visiting different areas than last year - perhaps you might do the Triathlon in Ireland?

The calendar is not out yet - but the Hell of the West is around the end of June every year - I will get you a bike ;)

If Andy Schleck comes attached to its saddle, then we have a deal!! ;)

(Seriously, no concrete plans have been made as of yet, so I am open to a few new ideas.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck with the log and goals and I look forward to reading about your progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Welcome. Good to have another North American based logger. I'm "up the road" in NJ.

shazkea wrote: »
    Good luck with the log and goals and I look forward to reading about your progress.

You are sweet. Thank you.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Welcome. Good to have another North American based logger. I'm "up the road" in NJ.

pgmcpq??? In the flesh?? Like royalty...as you were the 2nd log I started following. I guess I'll just say, "howdy neighbor!" ;)

A Hero's Run 5K

When I signed up for this event I truly thought it was just a 5k trot through mud and slop, but with three days to go to the event I was enlightened with the knowledge that logs, ropes, hay bales, manure, cold water and electric shocks, in addition to the mud and slop, were just some of the ammenities I was paying for. While I am not totally opposed to logs, ropes, hay bales, manure, electric shocks, mud, and slop (please note that I am, however, opposed to cold water), my enthusiasm plummeted with this new knowledge in large part because I had not trained for this type of activity. Ugh!! What to do?? Well, I am not one to make a commitment and not keep it, plus my husband and our ex-marine buddy (both of whom I had to convince a month ago to do this event with me) were totally digging these race enhancements....so...in for a penny, in for a pound! I was in....all in. Gulp.

Race day started out with frost on the car windows. Fortunately, the race did not start until 1pm which allowed the temperature to creep into the upper 40s. With the sun shining and not too much of a breeze blowing, race conditions were certainly tolerable. After check in, stretching, potty breaks, and brief instructions about the course, the three of us decided to participate in this as a team endeavor and not worry about going for any medals, which meant that we'd be heading off in the second wave as the first wave was stacked with the "competitors" and the third wave was comprised of the "just want to finish-ers". As the first group was gathering at the start line, my husband and our marine buddy decided between themselves to throw me into the competitor category so they pushed me down the hill and into the middle of the pack. There I was....and the pre-start army chant was being recited (did I mention that this was a charity event for the military and their families...and that an army troop was present, which was totally cool??)...and then the gun went off....and competitive instincts kicked in.

We ran down a dirt and gravel road to our first obstacle - walking over logs in the water. It was a breeze as I have pretty good balance, thus I did not fall in. Next - running up a hill that was laden with hay bale after hay bale that we had to hurdle. Good grief, did that take the punch out of me! I'm not a very big person and the bales were quite huge, so it took significant momentum for me to throw my body up onto the bale for me to get over it. More than once did I have to back up and start again with greater speed. Then more running up hill...then onto a gravel road....and then into a field. I was making pretty good time during this section of the course and was passing a few participants. I figured I'd make as much time as I could on the run. We then had to scurry up and over a pile of cow manure......and then dive into a muddy covered trench and crawl on our bellies under a plastic tarp.....and then under a blanket of electric wire on our bellies again (not so bad for me, but for some of my bigger comrades, not so much). Then we ran down to the icy cold stream where we had to run through freezing cold water for at least 100 yards. It started out at knee level, and I was able to run, but once I reached waist level depth, I took a cue from the fella I was behind and just walked it. The current was coming at us and it was too deep to run, so we conserved energy while we froze our legs off - but we chatted and encouraged each other, which was part of the point of this event, so that was lovely.

Once out of the stream it was hard to make our legs move. My companion yelled at me to keep going, but once I did get my arse moving I realized my shoelaces had both come untied in the water - even after double knotting them. Note to self: use those clippy thingies whenever an event calls for wading in water. Really. Double knotting is no use. And do you have any idea how hard it is to double knot your shoelaces when your fingers are frozen?? Any way, I digress. Next up....running to a football field where we had to get down on all fours and, without letting any other part of our body touch the ground, we had to go halfway up and back doing a bear crawl. This was murder. Exhaustion, numbness, fatigue....and we had to bear crawl 100 yards. I was passed by a very tall and lanky 20 something year old male who was cruising along like nothing else. Once upright, it was another run up a hill, around a telephone pole, and then back down to the football field where we had to get back on all fours and leap frog (yes, leap frog!) halfway up and back without letting any other part of our body touch the ground. Well, at this point I knew that I was in the lead in the ladies division, and, as I'm moving a minuscule distance with each one of my sorry leaps, I cursed under my breath that I will be quite pissed if I lose this race because of this dreadful leap frog. As I neared the end of the field, still on all fours with my fanny up in the air, I yelled to the course official asking if I could get up yet. Once I was given the go ahead, it was a sprint back down to the stream where I went splashing through to the other side where three ropes at various heights were waiting for me to use in my climb up the very steep cliff. I had on cycling gloves, and my adrenaline was on high (only about a mile left to go in the course at this point - yee haw!) so this climb was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. In fact, I was worried that this would be my undoing, but to my pleasant surprise it was not.

Next, it was a trail run through some gorgeous woods with a beautiful carpet of leaves, then over a big round obstacle (had to hurdle it), and down to where the logs were waiting to be carried up a hill and back down. Women were allowed to pick a log that was 20 pounds or less, while the men had logs that looked to be 30 or 40 pounds (or, but the way the veins were popping out on a few of the gent's necks, perhaps heavier than that). I decided that since I was the first woman to reach this point that I would reward myself by choosing a small log...which I did....and was quite pleased that the run up and down the hill with my log was not too terribly bad. Certainly no red face or popping veins from me. I placed my log back in the pile, then had to go diving back into the icey cold water for a complete submersion, and then upon my return to dry land, two young children threw flour on me (huh??). Yep, they were waiting for me as I left the water and tossed a cup of flour (the baking kind) on my wet body. Okay. Whatever.

At this point, I knew that I only had some more running and one more obstacle to complete before I crossed the finish line, so I took off up the hill, over the stream, and out of the woods at a mad dash. After I crossed into the open field, I could see the finish line - woo hoo - but I had to cross more water to get there first. As I approached the water, I could see an orange netting material that ran the entire width of the murky water I had to cross. Once I got to the netting, the official raised it up and explained that I'd be crossing on my belly under the net. As I was moving forward under this net, my pony tail was getting caught in the openings, thus making it difficult for me to move ahead, so I had to reach out with one hand/arm, lift up the net and hold it up til I had moved myself one stroke forward with the other hand/arm, and then I repeated this motion over and over again until I reached the end of the net. It was very much like doing the backstroke, but on my hands and knees and with my belly to the mud. Once out of the net, and sufficiently muddy, I scurried up the last steep hill to cross the finish line in 34:53.

I had two friends greet me with big smiles and lots of clicks of the camera. After warming myself up by the massive bonfire the organizers had going (thank you!!), I waited by the finish line cheering all the others on and encouraging them to finish in style...and gave huge whoops when I saw my hubby and our marine friend in sight of the completion. Grand smiles from the two of them!!! Such excitement. We hung around until the last person crossed the line....had a group photo with all the athletes....and then I collected my uber cool Hulk-like trophy. Smiles all around. :)

I rewarded myself today (the day after the mud run) with a 15 mile LSR. Prior to today, the longest I'd ever run was 13.1 miles - and today's run kicked my butt at the end. Per my garmin - 15 miles, 2:08:30, 1281 calories, 8:33/mile. I'm tired, my upper body is sore, and I have bruises all over my knees. I think I'll pour myself a glass (or two) of wine tonight, pop some vitamin I before bedtime, and take it easy tomorrow.... and if you read this post in its entirety, you may need to do the same as it's length is a bit on the upper end of acceptable. Pardon my lack of brevity..but this was such a fun event!!

Didn't take long for your first win of the log - well done!

There is something similiar over here called tough guy which a boardie called Oryx takes part in every year

http://www.toughguy.co.uk/

15 miles at 8.33 the following day is good going as well, any longer than that and you might need to take some food with you.

• Advertisement

Oryx...tough guy....upgrade to Jesus Warrior Squad?? I tip my hat to her savagery.

The event I was in was a mere tough mudder neophyte, and, because it was the first year this local event has been held, the field was not nearly as grand as it will be in future years, thus putting it (and the win) in proper perspective. But it was a blast of a day, and more than likely a stepping stone to other similar events.

I'm trying to figure out how often I will post my workouts (once a week or daily?), but here is tonight's:

100 minutes on the treadmill, 45 minutes of which were at a 15 percent incline while alternating run/walk at 4 - 6 mph pace. Had my trusty I-pod with my personal favorite mix to get me through the session. I followed this up with not enough stretching and not enough core work....which is my biggest flaw. I'd much rather a long slog than core work and stretching. 7.7 miles and over 1,000 calories burned. Time changed this past weekend, so I'll be spending more time indoors putting in the miles, which I don't really care for.

I haven't been on the bike in 6 or 8 weeks. With winter coming, I need to get the trainer set up.

I'm considering adding a 90 minute yoga session to my weekly workout routine and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on the benefits of yoga with regard to strength and conditioning. I took one yoga class many years ago and just kept thinking of a million more productive things I could have been doing besides lying on my back stretching and breathing. Never went back, but now that I'm older and punishing my body with increased running mileage I'm wondering if this would be a smart addition.

Tonight's session:

Treadmill again (how many months til spring??!!)
    100 minutes
    7.89 miles
    45 of those minutes at 15% incline...and 30 of those minutes at 15% incline as follows: 6 x (1 minute @ 4mph, 2 minutes @ 6mph, 1 minute @ 4mph, 1 minute @ 8mph)

Had the Washington Capitals on the television to help me through....but the boys are trailing at the moment by 1.

Real running tomorrow.

Proper run tonight with a friend through town and on the very hilly back roads. I need hill work, so this is good. We didn't start the run until dusk, but the moon was in full bloom, so if you discount the traffic lights in town and the crazy drivers on the back roads that caused us to jump into the brush and out of their way, the run was lovely. We had planned on going 8 miles, but my companion is nursing a pulled muscle and it was giving him trouble so we cut the run short.

Per Garmin:
    6.55 miles
    54:59.12
    8.23/mile

Laps as follows:
    9.44 (hills and warming up)
    8.30 (more hills)
    7.55 (getting my rhythm)
    4.40 (last .55 miles)

Treadmill night....but I had my trusty iPod with my personal treadmill mix booming from the buds.....and I thought of this session as a warmup for the Virginia Tech Hokies (my alma mater) vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football game tonight.

100 minutes, 7.48 miles, including:
    30 minutes using 3 pound hand weights for a little upper body work and additional challenge
    30 minutes at 15% doing 6 sets of (1 minute @ 4mph, 2 minutes @ 6mph, 1 minute @ 4mph, 1 minute @ 8mph)

Due to social commitments over the next two days, I will not be able to run again until Sunday....but I may try my hand at another long run Sunday, but will need to figure out hydration and nutrition on these long slogs when I venture out beyond the confines of my normal field circuit.

Virginia Tech beating Georgia Tech at the half, 21-13. Go Hokies!!!

What started out as an awesome morning and grand first 10 miles ended up being one of my worst runs in a long, long time. :(

Coming off of two days rest, I was itching for a long slow run, and I had my eyes set on 15 to 18 miles (secretly hoping for 18 as last Sunday i had gone a solid 15 for the first time ever) and, because I really had my sights set on that 18 mark, I thought it wise to slow down my pace from last weekend's to ensure that I wouldn't blow up...which is something that is really hard for me to do (slowing down) since I am constantly competing with myself/previous splits/previous distances/previous anythings...so I recruited a friend to run with me knowing that he would rein me in when I needed reining in.

I decided to follow Catweazle's advice and take hydration and energy into consideration on this longer run and I dug out my belt that holds two small water bottles and has two small pockets to stash my "energy" units in. I filled one bottle w/water and the other bottle w/an electrolyte drink and, not having any gels or bars handy, temporarily opted for "snacks" in the form of gummi bears and homemade shortbread cookies (which, by the way, are out of this world!). I say temporarily because upon hearing my snack menu, my friend forced me to cough up the cookies and substitute them for two Montana Huckleberry Hammer Gels. I reluctantly followed his orders and left my buttery and sugar kissed friends behind...yet was happy with the knowledge that they would be waiting for me upon completion of the run as my reward.

We had Athena, a high energy border collie mix (my friend's dog), with us for the first 5 plus miles, but she was puttering out on us so we dropped her off at my friend's very cool outdoor clothing and gear shop in town to give her a break. At this point, we were averaging about 9:20/mile, which was really comfortable and my body barely felt taxed. We took in some water and I tried my first ever gooey gel....which I managed to swallow without gagging....but I have to ask, what is that gritty stuff at the end of the packet?

Because we knew we would now be running out into the country, we slapped on our water/snack belts and headed out to conquer the asphalt hills and valleys. The next 6 miles were fantastic. Even though I was running with what felt like an extra 5 pounds around my waist, and even though the wind was at my face, and even though I faced quite a few hills that I swore would be my friend, I felt strong and relaxed. Our average speed was about 9:10/mile. I was confident 18 miles was going to be a breeze.

Somewhere around mile 12 I felt cramping in my left calf so we stopped to allow me to stretch it out. I've never had leg cramps before so I wonder if it was due to lack of proper water consumption or nutrition prior to this run. (I only had a cup of dry cereal and a few sips of water before I ventured out this morning, which is a good bit less than I usually have in my belly before a run.) Started running again and calf felt okay, but about a mile later my right hamstring started to tighten, which then caused my right knee (that I've been nursing since my last half marathon) to tighten w/pain. Stopped again, tried to walk it out, started to feel better, decided to give it a go and started running again. The pain was pretty significant from the knee at this point and it ran up up my thigh and ended at my hip, but I'm very good at blocking out pain so I kept trudging forward until my partner noticed I was limping and made me stop to give it a rest. A few stretches, some more water, another Hammer Gel (only 90 calories!) and then we were off at a slow trot/walk....picked it up a bit to a slow jog/trot....but realized we better wrap up the session and head home as to not add insult to injury. We came in right at 15 miles. Dreadful last 3 miles at probably 10:30/mile pace. Ugh!

Summary:
    15 miles
    2:23:38 :mad:
    1253 calories
    9:36/mile :mad:
    Roadkill: 1 squirrel, 2 opossum, 1 raccoon, 1 rabbit, 1 deer (picked clean by the vultures), and 1 black cat. :(

I remember a comment from the owners of Walmart that the more Roadkill the stronger the economy was!

1253 calories out - 180 in

Its different for everyone but I always have a big breakfast before I head out on a long run, I potter around doing jobs for an hour or two after before I head off. Anything under 2 hours for me is a pleasure anything over 2 hours gets my full attention as regards nutirition and hydration and even a cut down on the wine the night before.

Have a look for isogels, they are mixed with water - much easier to swallow

A race win - 15 miles -18 miles in a week at 9.10 pace on a training run 6 months out - what time you are looking at for Charlottesville? Make sure and lock into a program - they will all build up your mileage gradually and have recovery weeks - don't run too much too soon! Remember your legs are in uncharted water with it being your first

I'm thinking more "Angry Birds" and less "booming economy" with respect to the healthy volume of roadkill. Which does make me a little concerned when running the roads. :eek:

I definitely think there was a disparity in calories in and calories out today. This was an earlier run than I am used to (I usually go around noon or 1pm - this was a 10am start), thus contributing to the lack of intake prior to the plodding....and, because I have never cramped before on a run, I will assume it was insufficient energy/hydration for a run of that length....which makes me wonder: are muscle cramps tied into the length of time one exerts and not mileage (thus meaning if I had gone at a quicker pace I could have gone further before I started cramping?)? Ah the tortures I put myself through!

Marathon goal? My goal this far out is to go a sub 4 hours, so my average pace must be 9 min/mile, which I feel good about. I do need to pause and look at a training program since I have a tendancy to overtrain...do you have one you prefer?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Marathon goal? My goal this fr out is to go a sub 4 hours, so my average pace must be 9 min/mile, which I feel good about. I do need to pause and look at a training program since I have a tendancy to overtrain...do you have one you prefer?

I haven't any preferred program have only tried two - I did my first with Hal Higdon Intermediate 2. There is plenty of running with that one, 3 x 20 milers near the end but I found with all the slow runs I wasn't prepared for a faster marathon pace on the day.

http://www.halhigdon.com/#marathon

I did a blend of a Furman / Runners World program for my 2nd more as I had only 12 weeks training for it, Furman looks for only 3 important runs a weeks and cross training so that's suits with triathlon training in the mix - it had tempo runs and it also has a 22 mile run in it which I wanted for confidence. I felt confident that my legs would hold up to this program as I have had a lot of mileage in the legs at this stage and I dont seem to get injured easily (touch wood) - so perhaps this might not be the one to do for your first race if your knee is at you already

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-9215-0,00.html

You have time yet anyways to sniff around for one - most programmes are 18 weeks - see what suits you timewise.

If you are planning to run sub 4 next April, you have started out in early November trying to run 18 miles at sub 4 pace, so just be careful about pushing too hard to soon - a few people in these logs will be tut tutting about having your weekly long slow run the same pace as your target goal. Long slow runs are meant to be slower than your planned marathon pace.

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    If you are planning to run sub 4 next April, you have started out in early November trying to run 18 miles at sub 4 pace, so just be careful about pushing too hard to soon - a few people in these logs will be tut tutting about having your weekly long slow run the same pace as your target goal. Long slow runs are meant to be slower than your planned marathon pace.

The single hardest thing I've faced during this transition from swimming to running has been the approach to training. To slow down is both phsycially and psychologically hard for me to do, and in opposition of what I was taught as a swimmer.....BUT, I understand the merits as it applies to running, and (with reminders from the tut tutters and friends like you) I will commit myself to a marathon training plan and do my best to stick within the suggested paces.

Your comment about injuries and perhaps the Furman program not being right for me hit me straight in the gut. I have never been plagued by injuries, but must admit that immediately prior to and after the last half marathon I have been pestered by a few...which makes me wonder if it is related to overtraining and putting too much stress on my body too soon. The trainer is now set up in front of the television, so I will be able to do a little bit of cross training which I have lacked since I closed my pool.

(Oh....and I'm leaning towards the Furman plan.)

60 minutes on the trainer tonight.....spinning....spinning....spinning. Thighs felt good.....my derriere, not so much. Note to self: have hubby swap my rock hard saddle for a cushy fanny-friendly one. (sorry CW ;) ) Tonight's cycle was grand on my knee. It actually felt better after the session than before.

Just returned from a 90 minute yoga session. Lots of stretching and core work - definitely woke up some muscles that have been negleted for far too long. I tend to pass up stretching and muscle isolation and focus on cardio and endurance, so I am reminded (once again) that diversity in motion and in discipline is a good thing. And I am hoping (if I keep at it) that my running/swimming/cycling will benefit from this added strength/flexibility/balance plus help keep injuries away. Time will tell.

Hubby slapped the extra cushy granny seat on my trainer to help prevent further discomfort to my already sore tush.....and away I spun for 60 minutes tonight. Legs feel good, and my knee feels great.....I think giving the running a two day rest was just what the doctor ordered.

Proper run planned for tomorrow, but it's supposed to rain, and these Irish logs may just shame me into venturing out into the wind and rain and darkness, something I never would have considered prior to reading these training reports.

Apparently I either wasn't shamed enough by these logs, or I didn't dig deep enough into my Irish-ness because I opted for the comfort of my climate controlled basement over the cold and rainy darkness of this particular night.

After the disastrous run on Sunday, and after two nights on the trainer, I really needed a session that was a high tempo run. I would have much preferred a proper run unencumbered by the restraints of the treadmill, but I decided to make the best of my current workout situation by foregoing my usual treadmill tactic of utilizing the incline, and replacing it with a flat run at a sustained healthy pace.

First 35 minutes on treadmill was a warmup with increasing speed every 5 minutes.
    Next 60 minutes I held steady at an 8 min/mile pace. (thank you Imelda May for keeping my beat steady)
    Last 5 minutes cool down.
    Summary: 100 minutes, 11.15 miles, 8.58 min/mile pace

I don't really know how treadmill statistics compare to proper run statistics, but tonight's session felt good in that I felt physically strong. My knee got a little tight on me while running, but it didn't hurt like it did on Sunday, and it
    immediately resolved upon completion of the workout.

I plan on spinning tomorrow night (more rest for the knee), then rest on Friday, then 10k race Saturday morning.

Spin on the trainer tonight. Felt good. Added some time to the session (had new shorts on with a little extra padding - yay!) so I was movin' and groovin' for 75 minutes. Giddyup!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Dory Dory wrote: »
    r two Montana Huckleberry Hammer Gels.
    I tried my first ever gooey gel....which I managed to swallow without gagging....but I have to ask, what is that gritty stuff at the end of the packet?

:(

I don't know if this is related to your cramping problem but the above does not sound right. Hammer Gels are pretty easy to take and should not have "gritty
    stuff" at then end. I wonder if you go a bum lot or one that have exceeded their shelf life (18 months IIRC). I cannot speak for Huckleberry and everyone is different but this does not sound right.
    Also note : Hammer Gels are light relative to other gels so figure on taking them a little more regularly than others.

Vultures :eek:. Yikes - I've had runs where they'd be eying me up hopefully.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you're going to use Hammer gels, try the Apple and Cinnamon one - it tastes like the filling from a McDonald's apple pie. :D

pgmcpq wrote: »
    I don't know if this is related to your cramping problem but the above does not sound right. Hammer Gels are pretty easy to take and should not have "gritty
    stuff" at then end. I wonder if you go a bum lot or one that have exceeded their shelf life (18 months IIRC). I cannot speak for Huckleberry and everyone is different but this does not sound right.
    Also note : Hammer Gels are light relative to other gels so figure on taking them a little more regularly than others.

Vultures :eek:. Yikes - I've had runs where they'd be eying me up hopefully.
    If you're going to use Hammer gels, try the Apple and Cinnamon one - it tastes like the filling from a McDonald's apple pie. :D

Maybe I should have stuck with my homemade shortbread cookies. ;)

If gritty stuff at the end of the packet is not a part of the experience of the goo, then I suspect the gels were old. No wonder my running buddy didn't ask for reimbursement from me for the two!! Any hoo.....I will try the apple and cinnamon...and I will check the date....and if there are any other brands you prefer, please enlighten me. AND, while we are on this topic - is there a trick or preferred method to chewing on gummi bears while running without feeling like you might accidentally choke on one? Or does practice make perfect?

And vultures.....yes.....I know what you mean. The turkey buzzards are quite intimidating. And they smell really bad.

• Advertisement

Saturday, November 19th, 2011 - Woodstock 10k Turkey Trot

Woke up to the smack of 24 very cold degrees and significant frost on the ground. Wasn't quite sure of how to dress for this affair, but figured I'd go the layering route so I could strip off as needed. I did make the right move by not wearing my super warm Underarmor compression turtle neck (I'm new to this running business, hate being cold more than just about anything, and am still learning about proper apparel...and constriction of movement...and sweating to death) and opted for a wicking undershirt, my Virginia Tech Hokie t-shirt, long running pants, and gloves. Also had a very cushy and warm pullover, but that was purely for pre and post-race putzing around warmth and fashion. Never hurts to look well put together among the ranks of the competitors. ;)

The race was in our neighboring county - a small, rural community - and the proceeds of this event go to a particular pantry that serves the needs of infants in that county. 240 runners showed up for this second annual run, so it was already a success in the eyes of the organizers. The atmosphere was splendid - a gal who was perkier than she had any right to be at this ungodly hour in the morning was directing the car parking, wonderful muffins/bananas/drinks were layed out in the seasonally decorated food tent, appropriately high energy music was blasting from the PA system, and well organized check-in and chip pick up was taking place by smiling volunteers. Oh, and the t-shirt is very cool in bright orange with a hatchet wielding turkey in runners on the front. Biggest criticism to this point - only two porta-loos for all these people. Ugh! And you know how many times we all have to go before the gun goes off. Major toilet traffic jam!

10k is a distance I have never done before in a race, so, being that it was unchartered territory for me, my strategy was to just go at a swift speed - not as fast as a 5k, but certainly faster than a half marathon. Somewhat disappointingly, the course was a 5k course that we had to do twice - oh well. I felt pretty good for the first few miles, other than the slight discomfort of my toes and top half of my feet feeling like they were blocks of ice, and was impressed with the number of hills we faced. With one circuit in the books, I still had my running buddy, Gary, in my sights just ahead of me.

By the time we were into the second half of the race, most of us were spread out - so I didn't really have anyone around me to follow on this poorly marked course - only Gary a bit in the distance. Unfortunately I tend to get into my own "happy place" when I run and don't always pay attention to what's around me like I sometimes should...so....at about mile 5, I zigged when I should have zagged....and got off course!! Holy crap!! How utterly rediculous of me to do such a thing - and on the second time around! I didn't even realize what I had done until I was halfway up this crazy steep hill....and I only realized what I had done then because I was thinking that I was shockingly dying a slow death on a hill that I didn't remember being so hard the first time around, and then it occured to me that perhaps I had royally screwed up and was disgracefully off course. I slowed to look behind me...and to look around me....and, alas, no runners were in sight anywhere. Crap! What to do?? I had two options - turn around and get back on course, but that was not appealing after all the hard work I had done to get to this point up the hill - or keep going and hope it dumps me back on course, at which point I would backtrack onto the course and make up the mileage that I had missed by turning off course too soon. I opted to keep going. Sure enough, my wayward route intersected the official route, so off I went passing (in the "wrong" direction) both the runners who were still making their first way around the circuit and the faster runners who were ahead of me when I made the wrong turn. Looking quite perplexed as I ran by them, I did try to explain to a few of the most curious in a quick shout what foolish error I had made. When I finally met up with Gary, I went a bit further then turned around at a point that I thought was approximately the distance between the two of us when we inadvertently parted ways. My biggest hope was that I did not cheat by shorting myself the proper mileage on this course. I already knew I had chosen a harder route by accident, but I did not want to run less than the specified 10k.

The remainder of the race felt good. Toes and feet had finally warmed up to the point that I could feel them, and physically I was in fine shape. The last bit was a sprint, and I came in under my goal of 50 minutes. Official time was 49:11. My Garmin said 49:21, but I forgot to hit the stop button when I crossed the finish line, so we're going with the official time....and Garmin mileage said 6.41 miles. Whew!! I quickly consulted Gary's Garmin to see what his mileage said - 6.36 miles - so, yes...I had more than made up for my error.

Apparently my getting off course was a bit of a scandle, however, since I had finished first in my age group. I was called to the press box via the PA system and was told that another runner had reported that I did not follow the proper route. After explaining to the official what had happened - including the steeper hill I tackled and the additional mileage I ran, and offering to show her my Garmin as proof, and telling her that I was totally fine with being disqualified as I fully understood what I had done and wanted to be fair to the other participants - the official seemed satisfied and told me no worries. This is small town for you. And let's face it, it's not the Dublin marathon. This is small potatoes. However, unlike the Dublin marathon, and being that this event was a turkey trot, it was fitting that my medal was placed around my neck by a young lady in full stunning turkey regalia. That was certainly a first for me.

Garmin splits -
    Mile 1 - 7.36
    Mile 2 - 7.46 (hills)
    Mile 3 - 7.28
    Mile 4 - 7.39
    Mile 5 - 8.21 (got off course and hills!)
    Mile 6 - 7.29
    Last .41 - 3.01 (7.19 pace)

A few quick observations (because I like to overanalyze at times)...in a stream of consciousness format: Since this was a circuit, I like how mile 1 and mile 4 are similar...and how mile 3 and mile 6 are nearly identical...plus I like my pace at the end. I can't help but wonder how close mile 2 and mile 5 would have been had I not gotten off course and slowed and hit that harder hill. I also know I would have shaved a bit of time off because of the total distance factor. Final summary...I think I could have easily gone a sub 49...but the official time is 49:11, so I will live with that until the next 10k.

Advertisement