Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ah jaysus, sure that's dead handy! 35min drive for us, not too bad I suppose. I think I'll go with the 8 weeks and I'll have a back up driver ready for any night I go out before that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Rawr

Had a few scares at the beginning with runs to the hospital, so I'm dry for the whole run of it.

I managed to find some ok Non-alcoholic beers which seem to satisfy this particular itch whenever it comes up. Seems that a cold, bubbly beer-like drink is all the body is looking for. You stop missing the alcohol in it surprisingly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Rawr wrote: »
    Had a few scares at the beginning with runs to the hospital, so I'm dry for the whole run of it.

I managed to find some ok Non-alcoholic beers which seem to satisfy this particular itch whenever it comes up. Seems that a cold, bubbly beer-like drink is all the body is looking for. You stop missing the alcohol in it surprisingly quickly.
    Are you trying to convince yourself ha ha
    I can't wait to have a pint bottle of bulmers when baby arrives

I went to two ante natal classes a few weeks ago the information was good, but the wasn't keen on the chatting, it was like therapy lol.
    They brought a woman in to discuss depression
    Well if you heard this woman, she sat there almost crying, we all left depressed.
    Now I do have sympathy for anyone that generally experiences, all this did was scared the **** out of the other half

Induction has begun
    Loaded up with Tesco meal deals ready for camping in the ward lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Little guy made an appearance last night - after a long (over 24 hours) labour! GF was amazing throughout the whole thing, kept positive all the way along.

An incredible but very intense experience! Staff at the Rotunda were superb.

• Advertisement

peter1892 wrote: »
    Little guy made an appearance last night - after a long (over 24 hours) labour! GF was amazing throughout the whole thing, kept positive all the way along.

An incredible but very intense experience! Staff at the Rotunda were superb.
    Congrats, I've been sent home 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

We've our last hospital appointment out of the way with. No more packed waiting areas! :-) Herself is booked in to be induced in a couple of weeks unless baby arrives in the meantime. Have a siblings wedding next weekend. No doubt that's when labour will start!

Baby boy 7lb 1 oz
    Worth the wait, Cumh are great ðŸ‘

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Baby boy 7lb 1 oz
    Worth the wait, Cumh are great ðŸ‘

You can still make the wedding. But you'll be wrecked. Congrats.

Congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, sure that's dead handy! 35min drive for us, not too bad I suppose. I think I'll go with the 8 weeks and I'll have a back up driver ready for any night I go out before that :)

In fairness if anything happened before that, you'd probably be better to ring an ambulance rather than a back-up driver.

We don't have a car, so I made sure to have enough cash in my wallet wherever I went to cover the cost of a taxi plus soilage fees. (Sorry to be gross, but it's a possibility!) I know most women don't have the whole waters-breaking thing until they're in hospital, but mine actually did end up breaking spontaneously at home. So when I got the taxi, I was glad I didn't have to waddle out to an atm on the way into town. (By the way, there was no soilage and therefore no soilage fee ... if you do end up bringing her in in your own car, and her waters have already broken, a couple of maternity pads should do the job - make sure she's stocked up! ;) )

But yeah, my point is to take out maybe €120 cash and make sure she has it on her wherever she goes - it could well start when she's at the shops or when you're away somewhere. Also very important - remember to take it off her when you get to the hospital - Holles St is unfortunately notorious for theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

In fairness if anything happened before that, you'd probably be better to ring an ambulance rather than a back-up driver.

We don't have a car, so I made sure to have enough cash in my wallet wherever I went to cover the cost of a taxi plus soilage fees. (Sorry to be gross, but it's a possibility!) I know most women don't have the whole waters-breaking thing until they're in hospital, but mine actually did end up breaking spontaneously at home. So when I got the taxi, I was glad I didn't have to waddle out to an atm on the way into town. (By the way, there was no soilage and therefore no soilage fee ... if you do end up bringing her in in your own car, and her waters have already broken, a couple of maternity pads should do the job - make sure she's stocked up! ;) )

But yeah, my point is to take out maybe €120 cash and make sure she has it on her wherever she goes - it could well start when she's at the shops or when you're away somewhere. Also very important - remember to take it off her when you get to the hospital - Holles St is unfortunately notorious for theft.

With regards soiling taxis you can buy sanitary waterproof mats in most pharmacies and they fold up to be quite small. They are handy for as well for your partner to sleep on in the lead up to the birth in case her waters break in bed (Which they are most likely to do apparently). I know of a couple who had to throw out their very expensive mattress after waters broke in bed!?

With regards soiling taxis you can buy sanitary waterproof mats in most pharmacies and they fold up to be quite small. They are handy for as well for your partner to sleep on in the lead up to the birth in case her waters break in bed (Which they are most likely to do apparently). I know of a couple who had to throw out their very expensive mattress after waters broke in bed!?

I just brought binliners and towels! :o Unnecessary in the end.

Actually it could be worth investing in a pack of the huggies waterproof toddler mats - we sometimes use these in the baby's cot to protect the mattress if he's puking a lot. Might be no harm to one under the sheet for the last couple of weeks ... a new mattress is an expense most people could do without!

Baby Seafields finally arrived after what proved to be a tough labour for mammy and baby. The staff were amazing throughout and mrs seafields was an absolute hero. Thankfully everyone is absolutely happy and healthy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I think I'm going to join in on this thread now. We're 33 weeks in now, 6ish to go. Things are getting big and uncomfortable.

Due in the Coombe, but Living up by the Airport, things are going AOK up until now!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

Ya hope 6ish. My baba is 10 weeks now and was 11 days overdue. Ya could have 9 weeks left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

He finally arrived yesterday(on his due date), 9lbs 3oz and quite long. Both him and mother are doing really well. Everyone in the coombe were excellent from start to finish. Bringing both home tomorrow. Cried for hours yesterday, me not him. Good times ahead.

Congrats :)

Kinet1c wrote: »
    He finally arrived yesterday(on his due date), 9lbs 3oz and quite long. Both him and mother are doing really well. Everyone in the coombe were excellent from start to finish. Bringing both home tomorrow. Cried for hours yesterday, me not him. Good times ahead.

Congratulations on you're arrival
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Just had our 21 week scan yesterday and all went well - our first so it's all ahead of us. Things just got real all of a sudden. Mum doing great though :)

• Advertisement

ah I remember that day too, it's pretty amazing isn't it!. Remember it well, the hard times are a coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Going anon. Hi dads! My missus is 10 weeks tomorrow and while I'm not freaked out, I just don't have a clue what's happening. I take it from friends that this is normal but I have no close friends I've told yet and none of them have kids yet anyway. I'm just gone 30 and herself is just gone 32.

Frightened and delighted all at once!

Baby seafields is settling in well. The sleeplessness kinda becomes second nature. I'm sitting at a PC all day at work so no better place for the eyes to start closing. You kinda get used to it very quickly. The constant visitors is probably the most tiring thing of all. Just when you get a chance to put the feet up there will be a knock at the door. I've made up my mind never to call to the parents of a newborn again ! Give them a month or more to get used to things.

Enjoy the build up to the main event gentlemen. I still periodically find myself smiling as I remember the first time baby seafields cried after being born. Somethings will stay we ya forever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Hi,
    I wonder if I could ask a quick question. MY wife is 33 weeks now (I think, something like that). It's our first.

We're in Holles St. Where do you park? I don't want to be running out to the meter all the time and potentially miss the birth. I tried to sign up for that parking tag thing but it's a facking scam. Cancellation fees and extortionate top-up requirements. Is there a decent car park near by I can just dump the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭goose06

Mousewar wrote: »
    Hi,
    I wonder if I could ask a quick question. MY wife is 33 weeks now (I think, something like that). It's our first.

We're in Holles St. Where do you park? I don't want to be running out to the meter all the time and potentially miss the birth. I tried to sign up for that parking tag thing but it's a facking scam. Cancellation fees and extortionate top-up requirements. Is there a decent car park near by I can just dump the car?

Get clamped once and those fees won't seem extortionate and you can always get rid of it after the child is born.

Any chance you could get a taxi? It'll get you there faster if you're in a rush (they can use bus lanes), and you won't have to worry about the hassle of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Mousewar wrote: »
    Hi,

Parking on the street in the vicinity really is your only option. It is pay and display from 7am-7pm Mon-Sat in most places near Holles St. At €2.90 per hour you are looking at €35 a day max. Best to just have a load of coins ready I reckon? I got lucky in that my wife went into labour on a Sunday evening before a bank holiday Monday so could park right outside the hospital for free for 2 days I was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

goose06 wrote: »
    Get clamped once and those fees won't seem extortionate and you can always get rid of it after the child is born.

True but the feckers will charge me to get rid of it, as well as the myriad of other charges they have in the fine print. They really had a chance to make a nice simple, easy to understand system, and they messed it up big time. Anyway, I guess I'll have to do it, can't risk running out to feed the meter when the baby's on his way.

I'll jusmp in on this too.

lads, when the wife is in labour what's the protocol at the Coombe? Do I have to park the car and walk her all the way to the font door or just blaze through security like a bat out of heel and straight to the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Park the car, bring her to admission, then to the assessment room, then to a ward and then finally to the labour room. All that took 16 hours for us, with her being in early labour for 8 hours prior. Its not going to just fall out of her ;)

Advertisement